Forum Censoring

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.

Should the censoring of n_i_gger and f_a_ggot to *BLEEP* be stopped on this forum?

Yes
44%
No
56%

Total votes: 27

bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Forum Censoring

Post by bahua »

Well?
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Forum Censoring

Post by Tosspot »

I say yes. We're all tough enough to deal with unsavory words. Censoring is for crybabies.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Ok wait.  So, those words are censored NOW?  And we're voting on whether or not to keep censoring it, right?  (I didn't realize if they were or weren't censored)  I want to make sure I vote for the right one.  I don't want to leave any hanging chads.  8-[
KC is the way to be!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

And why were dago wop kike chink gook wetback and spic not censored! Racism!
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

If they are used in an inappropriate way, then you have a means to deal with it. Us adults don't like the ball gag (metaphorically).
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

Should it stop?
Yeah.
But it still depends on who owns the sandbox, ya know?

And that "nigger" thing, I always thought it trancended race anyway. Webster reinforces this I believe.
When my late mother smoked, I always said she was outside "coppin a fag".
But then again, a "faggot" is a bundle of sticks.

Maybe someone can clear this up for me.

Sportster
...isn't that queer.
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Slappy the Wang »

If that stuff gets bleeped out, won't our punchlines suffer??
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
KansasCityChiefs
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KansasCityChiefs »

Slappy the Wang wrote: If that stuff gets bleeped out, won't our punchlines suffer??
Umm.. isn't it already bleeped out? And we're just voting to take the censor off?
Kansas City, Bleeding red since 1963.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

I think anyone using it inappropriately should be censored, anyone using these words appropriately can simply use an abbreviation, in polite company people don't simply throw around the "n" or "f" word regardless of how elevated the level of conversation is, both words are extremely charged and negative.  I don't consider myself the most politically correct, but i have never been in a conversation with black or homosexual friends where they thought it was "ok" to throw those words around.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Some are offended by other profanities as well, but those are not censored, so why do these words deserve special treatment?
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by macnw »

That's the problem, what constitutes decency? Blacks refer to blacks using nig*** all the time. So, it's decents for blacks to use the word but not for whites? I don't know what you call that?
leaf
Pad site
Pad site

Post by leaf »

macnw wrote: That's the problem, what constitutes decency? Blacks refer to blacks using nig*** all the time. So, it's decents for blacks to use the word but not for whites? I don't know what you call that?
](*,)

see the Boulevard thread for a response to this.
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

leaf wrote: ](*,)

see the Boulevard thread for a response to this.
A link would be nice. (I know, I'm lazy, stupid, or both.)  :)
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Roanoker wrote: A link would be nice. (I know, I'm lazy, stupid, or both.)  :)
Roanoker, it's in the General Kansas City section.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

Tosspot wrote: Roanoker, it's in the General Kansas City section.
Got it. Wow! That thread pulled in a lot of comment!

I'll use this as an opportunity to say what I've observed since learning about this forum. All the folks involved in supporting this site are to be highly commended. My gosh! The pay can't be their motivation. They must wear all kinds of hats, deal with all kinds of people, be skillful with computer equipment and software, etc. And--most amazing to me--they are utterly faithful. They demonstrate their responsibility to their work and to all of us who post and lurk, every flippin' day! Don't let them know that Fortune 500 companies will pay them a lot of money to ply their skills under their corporate roofs.

This isn't worth much, guys, but Thanks Much!
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

*BEEP* *BEEP* *BEEP*, *BEEP*.  *BEEP**BEEP* *BEEP* *BEEP*. *BEEP*.  *BEEP*  *BEEP*  *BEEP*  *BEEP*  *BEEP*@  *BEEP*  *BEEP*!  *BEEP*  *BEEP*  *BEEP*  *BEEP*!!!!!!!!!    *BEEP*  *BEEP*  *BEEP*  *BEEP*?!?!?!?!  *BEEP* $(*&W(*&*@#&$*  *BEEP* @*&#(*$&@#$&^&&*^&@&@$(#@*  *BEEP*  *BEEP*  *BEEP*!!!!!!  *BEEP*  *BEEP*  *BEEP*  *BEEP*  *BEEP*  *BEEP*?
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

I"d have a difficult time participating in an online community where either one of those words is used freely and without consequences.  Or other racist/homophobic slurs. 
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
leaf
Pad site
Pad site

Post by leaf »

yeah i think it's probably okay to BLEEP out slurs related to race, ethnicity, sexuality, etc. 

Carlin's Heavy Seven are okay though, IMO.  it's a web forum, not my grandmother's dinner table. 
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

tat2kc wrote: I"d have a difficult time participating in an online community where either one of those words is used freely and without consequences.  Or other racist/homophobic slurs. 
I'm not suggesting that the board be squeeky clean but the descent into vulgarity whether it be ethnic slurs or commonly used slang lowers the overall tone and efficacy of the entire site.  Fortunately, I do not really see this as a pervasive problem on this board.   

Having said that, I think the discussion regarding "eenie meenie miney mo" was blown totally out of proportion.  Offense should not be taken where none was intended. 
ReutherMonkey
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ReutherMonkey »

leaf wrote: yeah i think it's probably okay to BLEEP out slurs related to race, ethnicity, sexuality, etc. 

Carlin's Heavy Seven are okay though, IMO.  it's a web forum, not my grandmother's dinner table. 
you put it perfectly.