Tarantino's?

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
scooterj
Ambassador

Tarantino's?

Post by scooterj »

I had a flyer on my windshield this weekend announcing the grand opening of a place called Tarantino's at 6th & McGee.  (I'm having trouble picturing this location.)   The flyer included the menu, which looks pretty good.   Pasta dishes, sandwiches, tenderloins, and pizza.    But the best part is the hours.   6am-Midnight Monday thru Thursday, 6am-3am Friday and Saturday, 3pm-10pm Sunday.   Another late-night dining option downtown!
Last edited by scooterj on Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Tarantino's?

Post by Tosspot »

Nice, i'm glad people are starting to broaden their hours for downtown.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

yeah and in a DT neighborhood that could really benefit from having a respectable business open at 2:00AM.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Is that where Jenny's used to be?
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Isn't that right behind Grand Slam Liquors?  Hrm...
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

Grand Slam is on 6th too, so I think this is just east of it.  Probably what was most recently The Garage bar.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

maybe its the part of grand slam liquors that is at the intersection of 6th and mcgee?
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
riebschlager
New York Life
New York Life

Post by riebschlager »

awesome!  did it say when it'll be open? 
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Went b it last night (haven't stopped in yet but will soon), it's in The Garage, the gray-and-red bar just east of Grand Slam.    I'm not sure yet if it's replacing The Garage or if its an expansion.

According to the flyer they are already open, and will soon start offering delivery.
nood
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by nood »

They talked about this place this morning on the Food Critics on Walt Bodine's show.
Apparently, they have excellent calzones and the ownership is somehow related to the folks at Anthony's.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Had lunch there today on part of another of my walking barhopping tours.  (Details tomorrow.)

The calzones are EXCELLENT, as are the tenderloins and fries.  They also have breakfast starting at 6am.   

The owner, Joe, is the brother of the owner of Anthony's and that his where he first started cooking himself.  His mother-in-law used to own The Soup Shop which was att 7th & Grand.  He also operated Dominick's Pizza onm North Oak, and in fact, Dominick (who I believe was Joe's younder brother) was there today as well and also runs the place.

This is the place that used to be called The Garage and the new owners are close friends of the previous owners. 

While I was there they were in the process of upgrading their electrical circuits so that they could in turn upgrade their air conditioning.  They are also planning to build an eleveated outdoor deck as soon as they can get the proper permits.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

We just got back from dinner at Tarantino's.  The food was indeed very good.  I was trying to be good, and got the grilled chicken salad.  The woman got the meatball sub with fries.  It looked amazing, cooked perfectly - all cheesey and toasted.  She really enjoyed it.  Can't wait to try the pizza and calzones.  Will also head over to try breakfast (served until 10:30am Mon-Sat).  Everything was very fresh and most of it seemed to be home made.

They're open until 3:00 am on Friday and Saturday, but the kitchen closes at 11.  Kitchen is open until 10 every other night.  They also had happy hour from 2-8 - 2 fer 1.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Ordered a pizza from there on Monday night and agree with the general observations. Tasty food, not too expensive. Nothing spectacular, but it was good, and having a place that delivers until 3:00 am on the weekends is going to be very, very nice!
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

I've eaten there twice this week.  I think it's fantastic!  Had a meatball tramezzini which was great.  Today had a custom built calzone - feta, spinach, artichoke hearts - WOW!  The sugo is well balanced and the breads and crusts are light and fresh.  This is as good as it gets.  Open late too.

They also do breakfast on Saturday mornings.  Looking forward to trying a spinach/feta omelet.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Tarantino's also got a positive plug this morning on the Walt Bodine Show.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

and, i'm playing records there tomorrow night after 9:30pm, with a friend of mine.  its a semi regular thing where we break out the old dirty rock like the allman brothers, the sweet sounds of chuck mangione, the soulfunky sounds of sly and the family stone, maybe a little johnny cash and jurassic five...
just about every other saturday - including tomorrow, the second.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Just ordered a pizza from there to have delivered here at work.  Report will follow.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

just had a cheese pizza from tarantino's. great thin crust, a tad greasy, but inexpensive and close to where the b/f lives. a great downtown alternative to pizza hut and the hours are great!
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

The proprietors are quiet friendly too. 
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

staubio wrote: Just ordered a pizza from there to have delivered here at work.  Report will follow.
I guess I never posted my report.

It was good.