Car insurance

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Car insurance

Post by lock+load »

I am curious what those living around downtown are paying to insure their car, and what kind of insurance that is (liability only, full coverage).  Anyone insuring an old car that's worth virtually nothing?  I am going to have to get the insurance on my car switched to MO from KS.  It's an old beater with liability only, but the rate goes up considerably.  It's just about enough for me to ditch the car entirely (roll it into the river?).  I can't justify paying more for insurance every three months than the car itself is worth.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Car insurance

Post by bahua »

I'm guessing that you have some spots on your record, as I do?

Not much you can do about high insurance rates except suck it up, keep your nose clean, and wait it out. Once your record is clear, though, give my friend Todd Burr at Allstate a call. If you have a clean record, he can get you fantastic rates. Until then, I recommend sticking to the crappy cut-rate agencies, like geico, progressive, abia, and mendota. Their model is based on insuring drivers with a somewhat checkered history.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah our insurance didn't go up much moving downtown...get married, that knocks it down big time.  Because only single people are crazy with their cars you know.

Sandi Rodriguez in westport is a good agent as well.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

AAA at Linwood and Broadway, try them.  Ask for Bob Hoie - a 3 Stooges fan.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

I just got married so you know what that means :D  I use country companies they are good its just that the office is near independence center.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

It isnt necessarily higher in MO than KS.  KCK has the highest rates of anywhere in the metro.  In MO, the East Side, 64110-111 (westport) and 64112 (plaza) tend to have higher rates.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

dangerboy wrote: It isnt necessarily higher in MO than KS.  KCK has the highest rates of anywhere in the metro.  In MO, the East Side, 64110-111 (westport) and 64112 (plaza) tend to have higher rates.
Mine was a little worse in 64111 than 65105, but the difference was negligible.
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

When I moved downtown from the Northland I was with American Family..  I think my insurance went up $20 a month (about 15 percent).  I switched to Geico and now its cheaper than it was before i moved.

I'm kinda of curious what everone is paying for condo insurance?  I've gotten some off the wall quotes.. Anywhere from 160 annually to $300 annually.
Last edited by MidWestSider on Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

My insurance took a 50% hike/kick in the pants when I moved from Lenexa to downtown.  I would be shocked if there is any greater liklihood of theft/vandalisim in my security camera covered, rent-a-cop patrolled parking lot in the freighthouse district than there was in the unsecured parking lot in my old Lenexa apartment complex inhabitted by sketchy characters galore, but hey I guess thats why I am not an actuary.  My girlfriend has the same company and her rates were virtually unchanged by a move from Mission to the freighthouse district.  Their best explanation is that there was that big of a difference between Lenexa and Mission - doesn't make sense to me.  Unfortunately my agent is family. 
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Moving downtown actually lowered my insurance rates because the increase based in my zip code was more than offset by the decrease in the distance I drive each week.

Exchanging a nice car for a POS did wonders too. ;)  I'm currently paying around $32/month.
Last edited by scooterj on Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Lenexa2KCMO-- in the minds of some ignorant people (including actuaries), Mission is a ghetto burb.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

scooterj wrote: Moving downtown actually lowered my insurance rates because the increase based in my zip code was more than offset by the decrease in the distance I drive each week.

Exchanging a nice core for a POS did wonders too. ;)  I'm currently paying around $32/month.
I've got to be paying too much.  I don't think that was a question for me because I'm with one of those revolving door companies: Progressive.  I drive my car maybe 2000 miles a year.  When I quit mountain bike racing, it is gone.  Is there any company that gives you a true usage discount?  They can check my odometer and charge by the mile for all I care.
Moniker
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Moniker »

I live downdown. I saved nearly 435 dollars every six months by switching to Geico - true story.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

dangerboy is right, KCK does have really high rates. When I moved from west of I-435 to east of I-635, my rates jumped 20%. Funny thing is that I have never had a car accident, ticket, or any other problem. I only have liability, so it makes no sense if it has to do with theft.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

KCPowercat wrote: yeah our insurance didn't go up much moving downtown...get married, that knocks it down big time.  Because only single people are crazy with their cars you know.

Sandi Rodriguez in westport is a good agent as well.
I've heard as much from some of my clients as well.

Seems like she has a very nice reputation.
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
driver 8
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by driver 8 »

My car and renters insurance doubled when I moved from Gladstone to downtown.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Here is a web site you might use to assist you in getting auto insurance.

https://secure1.insweb.com/cgi-bin/auto ... XHDWwT7_py

Haven't used it but it comes from an insurance newsletter I receive.
Paintfumes
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Paintfumes »

Downtown and Midtown areas are in the red zone for car insurance. That's because there aren't enough parking lots for apartments or some houses don't have driveways so they have to park on the street. Apartments were built for people who took the trolley in which they were replaced by buses which runs faster than trolleys. When stopped at a stop sign its harder to see on coming cars because the cars on the streets are blocking the view. Some people run stop signs. Some people don't have insurance and still drives a car.
"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Insurance companies take many factors into account when policies are rated.  Age, sex, prior experience, miles commuted to work, zip code, etc.  Some of these factors are weighted more than others by the various companies.  So this is a case to shop around and find the best rate for your situation.  Shop early, don't wait until the last minute.
Quay Girl
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Quay Girl »

River Market - <$100 a month for auto and renters insurance combined.

Love me some USAA..