Comments for the architects about the Sprint Center

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by eliphar17 »

I have compiled a list of the comments in the various threads about the Sprint Center renderings and sent it to the guy at CDFM² who is the project manager for the P&L District (who I happen to know very well). If you have additional concerns you want to voice directly to the architects, about either the arena itself or how it relates to the P&L District, I will do what I can to pass them on. (No guarantees though.)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

some sort of exterior video MUST STAY...and as much glass as possible.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

video, yes. and light architecture like at the Detroit Airport (and as apparently seen on the "color change" rendering).

i'd also try for a more bold shape, and definitely keep the abundance of glass. it should appear airy and light, not like the Great Mall, heh
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

KCPowercat wrote:some sort of exterior video MUST STAY...and as much glass as possible.
Ditto. And waterfalls/fountains/water displays. I also noticed an outside vendor area in one of the renderings which would be great to integrate the area with P&L next door.
kurtiebird
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kurtiebird »

Definitely keep the glass video display and the fountain idea. If at all possible, try to get Wet Design to do the fountain display.
BBTSB
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

To avoid needless repetition, what have you sent him so far?
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by eliphar17 »

I have sent just about everything from the four pages of the Sprint Center renderings thread. Needless repetition is fine... if there's something that keeps coming up, it just means we are really concerned about it, which I can convey when I pass this stuff along. I guess I intended this thread more for constructive (pun intended) criticism than for "I liked it/didn't like it"... seems to be working so far. Keep the stuff coming.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

How about street performers and violinists playing outside the arena before and after events?

Yeah, I know this might be a dumb idea, but I just really like street performers.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

Also pass on to the project manager that they should take a look at the beijing stadium renderings for olympics 2008. It's pretty impressive

http://active.beijing-2008.org:7777/str ... ogramID=43
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Tosspot wrote:How about street performers and violinists playing outside the arena before and after events?

Yeah, I know this might be a dumb idea, but I just really like street performers.
The market dictates. If you pay them, they'll keep showing up.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Well, this may be part of the plan already but I can't tell for sure from the renderings... there needs to be a nice wide pedestrian bridge over Grand that carries foot traffic between the arena and the entertainment district. Preferably in alignment with 14th Street so that it's a straight shot. Also it should go without saying that the "front" of the arena should be in alignment with 14th Street.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I concur on WET Design doing the fountains and water feature. A grand fountain is an absolute must. It has to be something spectacular like the Bellagio fountain. Something with lights, water, music, and maybe even some fire, steam, or smoke.

It has to become as world-renowned as the Trevi Fountain in Rome. In fact, it should make people say "Trevi Fountain-smountain" and scoff in comparison. If we are going to call ourselves the City of Fountains, then we very well must have the most famous and memorable fountain in the world.

The downtown loop needs a big, flashy, signature fountain that is an attraction in and of itself. It has to be something where visitors in hotels say: "let's go see that famous fountain." It must be such that children beg and cry to go see it, or that parents promise they will take their kids to see it if they behave, or do something they don't want to do. It must be a fountain that people driving by on I-670 must stop and see when traveling through KC--even if it's their only stop within our metro area. It must be a fountain that people come to sit and look at for an hour and never get tired of.

This has to drive home that we are the City of Fountains in a big way, so that others will just acquiesce and say: "ok dude, your city is the undisputed City of Fountains. KC Rules!" LOL.

:cheers:

Have I made my point? LOL.
There is no fifth destination.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

I'm not so sure about a bridge. I'd rather see traffic restricted on Grand during activities, except perhaps bus or other transit traffic. Having people spill into the street and into the district would work for me. Direct the traffic into adjacent parking areas or around the rear of the arena.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

tat2kc wrote:I'm not so sure about a bridge. I'd rather see traffic restricted on Grand during activities, except perhaps bus or other transit traffic. Having people spill into the street and into the district would work for me. Direct the traffic into adjacent parking areas or around the rear of the arena.
Yep. People have to cross Broadway to get to Bartle. It's often as busy or more so than Grand because of the freeway ramps. A few speed bumps might slow traffic down as well, and there will of course be a stoplight there.

There are busy streets all around Lincoln Center, and Madison Square Garden, in NYC. A bridge is not needed.
There is no fifth destination.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

I hope they maintain the inital goal of making this building use the principles of Green architecture as much as possible (atleast an LEED silver rating). I think that was one of the initial ideas thrown out, i think it would be a great way to continue and foster the movement towards green buildings. The water aspect is nice, we should have more of it. And this may sound strange.... but oh my god would it be cool if you could do a winding garden from the street level to the top of the building!!!!! or atleast accessible from the building, and you are able to go to a garden on top!!!!. Honestly, i doubt i'll ever go to the building more than once or twice a year for its arena function. But if you have a garden on top, that would be the ultimate icing, and i would be there A LOT!!!! think of the photo ops!! It can't be too hard to make happen :D
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

This is based solely on a bad angled view of the model in some pics that were displayed here earlier, so this might be wrong:

It looked like the arena was elevated off of street level on some side of the arena. I think the northern side of the arena block was one story above street level. This meant that from the sidewalk, the arena wasn't even in view. It reminded me of the setup of Barney Allis Plaza. Since it is elevated, people from the street can't see the activity in the park, which inhibits activity in the park.

I would like to see the arena streetscape fit on one surface, even it it is not level.

KCDowntown
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

FangKC wrote:It must be a fountain that people driving by on I-670 must stop and see when traveling through KC--even if it's their only stop within our metro area.
Maybe having eye-catching must-stop signature flashy things in the South Loop will finally end once and for all the notion of covering the entire freeway. Not much point in making eye-catching attractions if you then hide them from the potential visitors. :)
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I'll second the idea of having an iconic fountain by a top designer. Make it something that people see and immediately associate with KC, downtown, and the arena.

Also, make sure that the arena has as much of a pro feel as it does a Big 12/NCAA feel. Don't go overboard with the Big 12 banners, tribute fountains, and all of that kind of stuff.
Downtowner
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Downtowner »

Fang is absolutely right about a Wetdesign fountain like the Bellagio (complete with piped in music). It would reflect in the angled glass at night. The expense will be high so the architect group or the city should seek a corporation to sponsor it (like Bloch did at Union Station). For instance, restaurant giant Applebee's needs to step up and do something on a civic basis. I never hear anything about their participation. AMC would be a natural to sponsor the projection system on the exterior glass. The Dream Team could hold a press conference with a list of extra projects that would need a sponsor to make it happen.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

the bloch fountain was a retirement gift to Henry....I think it was henry. they would never say how much it cost.

I like the idea of a local corp. stepping up to put a huge fountain in....we can selling the naming rights to the urinals in this place, won't hurt my feelings.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc