H&R Block - New WHQ Size

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
kurtiebird
Strip mall
Strip mall

H&R Block - New WHQ Size

Post by kurtiebird »

Hey y'all, I've been trying to figure out the dimensions of the new "Right Guard" building. Specifically, what will the width and length of the oval be? I'm trying to get a mental picture of how many cubes/offices might fit on each floor.

You'd think the company would provide us with blueprints, so we could scope out our new digs, but no such luck. Nor can I find anything on the net that might suggest the building size. The best I can find is the following rendering (on this site):

http://www.kcskyscrapers.com/kcpics/pan ... per?full=1

Can somebody help me out?
BBTSB
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

H&R Block - New WHQ Size

Post by GRID »

Last I heard it was 18 floors and 500,000 sq ft. I wish they would go to 25+ floors so the building doesn't get lost in the skyline, but I'll take it.

It is looking like this building will be very similar in size and height to 12 Wyandotte Plaza, the glass curved tower at 12 & Wyandotte.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

H&R Block - New WHQ Size

Post by WoodDraw »

Are thre any rough ideas on how many sq ft. Phase II will be?
kurtiebird
Strip mall
Strip mall

H&R Block - New WHQ Size

Post by kurtiebird »

Ok, I got really bored, so decided to figure it out for myself. Assuming that 500,000 sq ft is for the tower only (might be a bad guess, but who knows?):

500,000 / 18 = ~27,778 sq ft per floor
Area of an oval = pi * length * width

I figured a rough estimate of the length to width ratio, by measuring the pixels of the floor plan rendering (about 0.44444)

Length * Width * pi = 27,778

Length = ~141'
Width = ~63'

Does that seem fairly accurate? Now I just have to make a floor plan (like I said, I'm bored).
BBTSB
scooterj
Ambassador

H&R Block - New WHQ Size

Post by scooterj »

That seems kinda small, I don't think that's right. My loft is 61' long, and it's hard for me to imagine a high-rise office building only 2 feet wider than the length of my loft being much use.

Tomorrow on my break I'll pace out the dimensions of what seems to be the foundation hole and see what that comes out to. It won' exactly be precise but it ought to give you a general ballpark.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

H&R Block - New WHQ Size

Post by GRID »

That's leasible office space. The actually size including elevator shafts, common halls, atriums, retail, storage, mechanical rooms etc bring it up much higher.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

H&R Block - New WHQ Size

Post by bahua »

Don't forget body storage and audit conditioning chambers.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

H&R Block - New WHQ Size

Post by tat2kc »

talk about too much time on your hands!! :lol: kurtiebird, you win the prize for development geek of the week!
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
kurtiebird
Strip mall
Strip mall

H&R Block - New WHQ Size

Post by kurtiebird »

Grid, that makes a lot of sense. I'd be interested in hearing the results of Scooter's scientific analysis to see how far off I am.

I don't know if I'm so much a development geek; I just can't wait to move into our new building. And it's two years away!

:|
BBTSB
scooterj
Ambassador

H&R Block - New WHQ Size

Post by scooterj »

I didn't get a chance to pace it off today but I'm going back down sometime tomorrow to take a new photo so I'll get your estimate then. :)
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

H&R Block - New WHQ Size

Post by kucer »

WoodDraw wrote:Are thre any rough ideas on how many sq ft. Phase II will be?
I believe 250,000 sq ft.
scooterj
Ambassador

H&R Block - New WHQ Size

Post by scooterj »

Ok, for my very unscientific analysis I compared the existing hole to renderings and then made visual landmarks on an adjacent block (since I can't exactly go poking around in the construction site) and then paced it off. Measuring my typical walking pace and multiplying it out, I come up with an exterior length of 202 feet and a width of 78 feet.

If anyone ever find out the real numbers I'd love to find out which came closer... kurtiebird's trigonometry or my boy scout technique. :)
kurtiebird
Strip mall
Strip mall

H&R Block - New WHQ Size

Post by kurtiebird »

Ok, so two more things that make my first guess way off (besides Grid's point about the leasable office space):

1) only 15 floors of office space
2) area of ellipse = pi * 1/2 length * 1/2 width

And math used to be my strong suit... I'm not even gonna try to tackle this one again mathematically.

However, I did notice a row of parking spaces that line up with where the building edges might be (on the short edge), it looks like about 11. According to KCMO ordinances:

http://www.kcmo.org/codes.nsf/web/ch052 ... ment#52-38

Parking spaces should be between 7.5 and 8.5 feet. So,

11 x 7.5 = 82.5
11 x 8.5 = 93.5

So the building ought to be about 85 feet wide (and 191 feet long), not far off scooterj's analysis.
BBTSB