New hotel next to Sprint Center

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

It appears that the next step for the P+L district and arena development is a new hotel next to the Sprint Center. From the proposed site plan that Cordish released, the block to the north of the Sprint Center on Grand would be a potential site for a new hotel near the arena. Although the block is only included in the aerial, it appears this would be the future site of a hotel as it includes more parking and a design and location conducive to a new hotel complex.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

now I had not heard that, TK. It does make sense though to put a hotel there when demands warrant. it would be ideal for visiting teams/performers, etc. They could even have a separate, private entrance connecting them.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

A large hotel is going in east of the new ballroom. I have seen plans for it, but don't know who will run it or when construction will start.
kcteen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kcteen »

GRID- that's awesome. What stage is that hotel project in? Do you think it will start construction before the p&l live! district is done?
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

Ok, are we talking about hotels taller than 12 floors? I'm sure we are...
I'd love to see 2 downtown hotels, one by sprint center over 15 floors, one by the ballroom over 12 floors.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Wait, wouldn't east of the ballroom be over I-670?

Are you sure you aren't thinking of that Perott hotel from several years back?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

No, this is new. It looks like it will be a "tapered" type tower that will have some parts of it's structure over I-670 (mostly skywalks connecting to a new garage). It is going in where Bartle was to have a future exhibit expansion. Now they want to expand Bartle's main exhibit hall to the west over the big interchange and create a massive parking structure and hotel where bartle "was" going to expand (east of the new ballroom).
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

how big was the hotel?
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

Devin, calm down! :lol: They wouldn't commit to the size of the hotel until they are ready to build. And with the low hotel occupancy rate, the restoration of the President, and the possible renovation of the old Alladin next to the Marriott Muelbach, I'd say another new hotel may be a bit down the road.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

Why do you guys always assume I have a height fetish or something? I just want another skyscraper to add to KC's total.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

That photo is simply awesome. How unique. I just lost 5 min of my existence on earth looking at it....:)

I am interested in height, too. Taller the better. I'd like 15-25 stories, personally. How come Block's new headquarter isn't that tall? I was kinda bummed.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

it's gonna be 18 floors, that means it's gonna be at least 220ft tall... (The doubletree hotel is 299ft)
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

doubletree in O.P, ks?
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

13th & Wyandotte
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

oh yea hehe, sorry...
Yup the Doubletree Hotel Downtown...

Anyhow... I know the hotel won't be smaller than 12 floors, I mean, what sense does that make?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Does anyone know where they plan to build H&R Block Phase II? And what is directly above the President block? You can't really see from that angle. Also, what about the P&L mixed use project? What is the chance of that happening?

And just to have something on topic, is a new downtown hotel really needed right now? I hope this is more of a '07 or '08 proposal and not something that will be happening right now. The occupancy rate of the current downtown hotels isn't exactly great.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

Remember when we ran out of hotel rooms when the Chiefs were playing and the Big 12 was here (along with a Convention) all at the same time?

That will be happening alot more after 2007 so we need more hotel space.
So, yes hotels are definitely more neccisarry.

Wouldn't you rather have downtown hotels than have hotels be built near the airport or in Overland Park or near the stadiums?

We will be having ALOT more conventions than ever before after the ballroom and bartle hall expansion is completed. And especially after the arena is complete.

They plan to building Phase II on or next to the TWA Tower... They will probably demolish it to build Phase II.

The P&L mixed use project is still the plan, they want to build parking garages, plus something like 90 lofts.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

3 new hotels in a day of 50% occupancy for downtown hotels? I'm not sure I like this idea. I like one going close to the arena but one east of bartle confuses me....
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Can the market support any more hotel rooms right now? The sell-outs Devin mentioned are few and far between these days. The city is already spending money out of the general fund to cover the Marriott's deficit.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

not right now but business will pick up with all that is going in...I understand building for the future but 3 large hotels is a little much right away. Let the market come first and we can get stuff built as it adds in.

The CVB also needs to pick it up....there are like 2 city wide sellouts all of next year....that's an embarassment.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc