Does the northland support the arena?

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

We all know north of the river is a huge swing in voting.....does a majority in the north support the arena?

I know this is hard to really gauge but for those of you who live up north, are you seeing a lot of arena signs pop up in yards?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

I don't frequent northland neighborhoods too much but I haven't seen one sign for or against the arena. Northlanders voting patterns and candidates/issues they believe in are very erratic. Heck you see more signs for county commissioners than anything else.
Calling a spade a spade.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

Everyone I know will vote for it, but that's not many people so I don't know. I worry about Platte County, they are usually the most conservative of the 3 KCMO counties.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Platte County also has the highest county-levl hotel taxes in the metro area. This would make the hotel tax in the Platte Co. portion of KCMO higher than the rest of the city.

Whether or the Northland swings the election depends on how close it is. With 30% of the population, it can make or break an election if the margin is small in the south. The November 2002 downtown/neighborhood bond is a good exmaple: it failed in the Northland, but it won so overwhelmingly in Jackson County that it passed citywide. The core neighborhoods from Downtown to Waldo usually have much more voter turnout than the rest of the city, and are probably the most likely to vote for the arena.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

I haven't seen any signs either way.
kcteen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kcteen »

nota: go to downtownarena.com and get a sign if you support the arena (i hope you do!) Show the support, help the city
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I agree....all of you in the northland....go to the site and fill out the form....volunteers will BRING you the sign.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Northland Chamber of Commerce has endorsed the measure...
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

As of this week, I been on I-29, Chouteau, Vivion, 169 Hwy, and NW Barry Road. I haven't seen any arena signs on any of those routes.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

kcteen wrote:nota: go to downtownarena.com and get a sign if you support the arena (i hope you do!) Show the support, help the city
I live in unincorporated Platte County. It is not on our ballot.
supastudio
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by supastudio »

I too, live up north and have not seen any signs,. I will put one up when I make up my mind, for or agianst it.
"Architecture is to be experienced by moving through it rather than looking at it."
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

supastudio wrote:I too, live up north and have not seen any signs,. I will put one up when I make up my mind, for or agianst it.
Don't have much time! Jus' remember AEG covers any of the overcost and losses for 35 years...you won't be asked to pay if the arena flops. I'd love to see a beautiful arena in downtown KC so we can compete with other cities our size.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
supastudio
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by supastudio »

I read my ballot on the Platte County Board of Elections website and I will vote a big "YES!" I don't rent a car and I don't go to a hotel, motel or holiday inn! But I do have one problem, I live on a cul-de-sac, so I can't post a sign and be very effective. One more thing, this arena better have fountains and art deco! If not, I'm moving to STL.
"Architecture is to be experienced by moving through it rather than looking at it."
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

supastudio wrote:But I do have one problem, I live on a cul-de-sac, so I can't post a sign and be very effective.
Put up a sign anyway! As a matter of fact, get several signs and put them on city property at all the major Northland routes.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

Put signs up at Antioch/Prospect and Brighton/Pleasant Valley Rd. There's always a million signs at those intersections.
zlohban
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by zlohban »

I have spoken to several people who are very excited about the arena. I wish I could vote. Although someday an end to these taxes will come. I noticed my food tab was taxed 9.975% today on Barry Road. How much higher can they go?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

yep, big time.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

The margin of victory was highest in Platte County, even though they already had the highest hotel tax.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Is there a list somewhere showing how the percentages broke down? The graphic in the online Star the day after the election was unreadable.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

I posted this over in the arena election thread in the Power and Light District forum...

Platte: 59%
Jackson: 58%
Clay: 55%

On Steve Kraske's radio show Steve Glorioso mentioned that in most city-wide elections they to try to break even in the Northland and build a margin of victory in the south. This is one of the few city-wide issues where the Northland voted solidly Yes.