Post by FangKC »

Chiefs listening to pitches from developers regarding a new stadium in Kansas

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/D ... hiefs.aspx
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: New Chiefs Stadium

Post by Cratedigger »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:41 pm I think if we have the chance to get Chiefs a new stadium here at the end of their lease…why not ask for it to be built near downtown? I bet Chiefs could be persuaded. It’s not like TSC is some shining jewel. Plus any hotels or venues they built would be used a lot more often year round towards downtown.

We’re funding it. Make them go urban. Imagine the hotel stock we could potentially garner doing that.

It just makes no sense to build a shiny new alien space ship stadium and not be near downtown. What’s so alluring about building on the Royals empty space?
Idk downtown has its pros and cons.

Pros: Public transportation availibility, proximity to bars and restraunts, looks cool

Cons: Tough to load a keg and grill onto a bus, not a lot of tailgating room

If you're talking downtown in KCMO honestly I'd rather bring downtown to TSC via transit then mess with what is there. If it's KS/bistate, I'd be for a West Bottoms stadium or anything that is nearish to downtown, but on the edge so it's easily accesible for those driving in from St Joe, Lees Summit, etc.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I think the fundamental problem with what the Chiefs are trying to do is that nobody is gonna go to their hotels/venues at TSC outside of 10 days a year.

They need to be near downtown for their stuff to be active.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Y'all should listen to this podcast from Chiefs Beat Writer for The Athletic, Nate Taylor. Beginning at the (58:00) mark they start talking about the stadium discussion. Nate has some insight from his discussions with Mark Donavan at the owners meetings. Specifically calls out VW and also that Mark Donavan did not seem thrilled at the idea of a TSC development without the Royals (1:03:00)

https://theathletic.com/podcast/57-time ... pisode=188
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

The article Nate wrote on this subject.
https://theathletic.com/3217904/2022/03 ... own-plans/
Couple quotes:
“We’re trying to be as supportive as we can for them,” Donovan said of the Royals. “I think the city, (Jackson County) and the state should do whatever is best for the Royals. I don’t know what that’s going to end up being ultimately.

“They want to be downtown. This is all subject to change, but our intention is to be (at the Truman Sports Complex) through 2031 (in the current venue).”
In 2032, though, the Chiefs could be playing in front of their fans in Kansas, as developers from across the state line have sent the team proposals. In those discussions, developers have recommended multiple sites that are attractive for a state-of-the-art NFL stadium. A logical destination could be in Kansas City, Kan., near the Kansas Speedway and Children’s Mercy Park, the home venue of Sporting Kansas City.
“If (the Royals) end up going downtown, then we’ve got options,” Donovan said. “We can build new right beside (Arrowhead). We can renovate. Or we can build somewhere new somewhere else.
“We’re going to take our time and make the right decision and try to do what’s best for our fans and how we enhance the experience,” Donovan said. “Can we continue to do that in Arrowhead, or do we have to build new to keep up?”
“I think a developer would look at it and say yes,” Donovan said of the possibility of building something similar to Patriot Place alongside a new Arrowhead. “When you look at it from an investment standpoint, I’m not sure Independence, Mo., is the best place to develop. It might be. That’s where the selling point across the state line is, ‘You can pick your spot.’”
That last quote...
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Ouch the dig at Independence. Some of the most die hard fans who attend games are from Indepndence.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

alejandro46 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:50 pm Ouch the dig at Independence. Some of the most die hard fans who attend games are from Indepndence.
He's right though. That's basically what I was telling GRID how that area is viewed as rundown.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

But I still think there may be a market for such a development there simply because that is a central location to a massive area that has nothing like that. Sure, most of the Independence demographics don't make a lot of sense for a big mixed used development around Arrowhead, but neither is KCK's demographics for the Legends.

However, when you look a the bigger picture....

That location is central to all of Jackson County and also really even Clay County and maybe even Platte. Between Jackson and Clay alone you have a population of around a million people and those two counties have very few options for a modern mixed use developed to shop at dine at etc even though there are a lot of affluent areas in their suburban areas. Despite what some in JoCo might think, there really are tens of thousands of middle class to very upper middle class families in Eastern Jackson County and Clay County. I'm sure people in Lee' Summit, Blue Springs, Shoal Creek etc get tired of driving clear to the far KS suburbs for such stuff.

I mean if The Legends can work on the extreme edge of a county of 160k with far worse demographics than Jackson County east of the stadiums, then why couldn't something similar work in a central location of around a million people?

And what can be "added" to the Village West area that would be controlled by the Chiefs? That area is already maxed out.

I really do think people in the MO side suburbs would flock to a Chiefs oriented development even during non games and some money can be set aside to redevelop the area around the TSC like turning the adams mark back into a nice hotel or apartment building.

It's really not that far flung of an idea to develop a destination retail/entertainment district around a new NFL stadium at the TSC and it would be so much better for the metro area than abandoning that part of the city for a greenfield development.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

The Independence comments are played out TSC is entirely in KCMO and can be lifted to higher standards. Something like light rail or better bus service would only tie it in more with the city than ever. I vote we demolish the Drury, the Denny's and everything across Blue Ridge Cutoff and redevelop it into a dense mixed-use neighborhood that can thrive on non-game days. Adams Mark could be a great spearhead as an obvious candidate to re adapt into affordable, or mixed income, housing.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

But wouldn't anything the Chiefs build be part of a new stadium complex inside the current confines of the TSC? I don't really see the Chiefs doing much development outside of the TSC, but the county and city need to clean it up and try to get some of those properties redeveloped. Even even proper sidewalks and landscaping along Blue Ridge would go a long way.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

True any development around the complex would take the cities initiative. If they put out an RFP with the right incentive coupled with steady population growth, I bet they could get some solid plans in motion. Sidewalks would also be ideal lol.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Talked to someone I know that works high up in Speedway management and he says the Kansas Chiefs stuff is a very real thing and no joke. The plans and intention are already set.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

So the baseline for the Chiefs new stadium will be atleast $2.2 billion. Ok, which side is going to pay for that? Kansas? Missouri?

"The new Titans stadium would be domed, it would open in 2026, and it would cost up to $2.2 billion."
https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/sta ... 8530723843

My initial thought, again, is that Missouri is gonna be weary spending $2.2 bil right after they just spent $1 bil+ on the Royals, and creates a good opportunity for Kansas to snatch it, unless the state gov forcefully steps in.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:52 pm So the baseline for the Chiefs new stadium will be atleast $2.2 billion. Ok, which side is going to pay for that? Kansas? Missouri?

"The new Titans stadium would be domed, it would open in 2026, and it would cost up to $2.2 billion."

My initial thought, again, is that Missouri is gonna be weary spending $2.2 bil right after they just spent $1 bil+ on the Royals, and creates a good opportunity for Kansas to snatch it, unless the state gov forcefully steps in.
I still like the idea of the bi-state tax. Royals move downtown, Chiefs move to Kansas, and as a bonus set aside a percentage of the fund to attract an NBA team under city ownership similar to Green Bay with the Packers.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

daGOAT wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:36 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:52 pm So the baseline for the Chiefs new stadium will be atleast $2.2 billion. Ok, which side is going to pay for that? Kansas? Missouri?

I still like the idea of the bi-state tax. Royals move downtown, Chiefs move to Kansas, and as a bonus set aside a percentage of the fund to attract an NBA team under city ownership similar to Green Bay with the Packers.
Of course that would be the best option. And to get a fund for NBA? Even smarter. But the problem is some people in Missouri want it all and are willing to not take that deal over pride.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

daGOAT wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:36 pm I still like the idea of the bi-state tax. Royals move downtown, Chiefs move to Kansas, and as a bonus set aside a percentage of the fund to attract an NBA team under city ownership similar to Green Bay with the Packers.
This metro area has undergone some drastic changes since there was a bi-state tax for Union Station. It will take a lot of work at both the local and state levels in both states to get the approval. And will require voter approval.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

A vote for *anything* that involves a tax increase will likely fail for the next 5+ years, probably longer.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:21 pm Talked to someone I know that works high up in Speedway management and he says the Kansas Chiefs stuff is a very real thing and no joke. The plans and intention are already set.
What’s this person do for the speedway because they have bad information.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I'm still not sold the Royals will end up downtown. And I'm not even sure they need to go downtown. Personally, I would rather they stay at the TSC and KC build transit instead, but I know the transit part is not likely (I don't consider a streetcar down Linwood to be actual mass transit that would make any difference).

And the Chiefs stadium alone is just no enough activity for them build any sort of entertainment complex etc.

I wonder what the chances are of KC possibly building a new stadium at the TSC and a major renovation of Arrowhead and or a new stadium for them and then building up the area around both stadiums.

A downtown stadium would be great too, but I truly don't think KC will ever really get behind the idea and even once its built, I'm not sure "enough" people will like going downtown for a game.

Also way too much land is being land banked. They need to figure this out quickly.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

GRID wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:04 pm I wonder what the chances are of KC possibly building a new stadium at the TSC and a major renovation of Arrowhead and or a new stadium for them and then building up the area around both stadiums.
Close to zero. This ownership group is very committed to urban baseball. They are in the phase of figuring out "how" not "if".