New Chiefs Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: New Chiefs Stadium

Post by daGOAT »

shinatoo wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:53 am Jackson County has been a partner with the Chiefs for 60 years. They build the brand together. Their value is tied to the millions (billions?) in investments Jackson County taxpayers have poured into this team. If Jackson County, or KCMO, are willing to work with the Cheifs on a new stadium plan, where ever that may be, and they still run off to Kansas then they are just whores and I'll be done with them. They will be worse than the Rams.

If JackCo doesn't make any real effort to work with them then I can see a move to Kansas and I'll be fine with it.
The Rams move to Los Angeles was genius. At the time they were a losing team in a losing city that didnt keep its word on a shitty stadium. If anything Missouri should take notes and not put out another half ass proposal at the last second. No matter how you look at it the region isn't losing the Chiefs so its really hard to see any correlation besides the voices of angry people talking down on an organization that will thrive nonetheless.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

daGOAT wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:05 am
shinatoo wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:53 am Jackson County has been a partner with the Chiefs for 60 years. They build the brand together. Their value is tied to the millions (billions?) in investments Jackson County taxpayers have poured into this team. If Jackson County, or KCMO, are willing to work with the Cheifs on a new stadium plan, where ever that may be, and they still run off to Kansas then they are just whores and I'll be done with them. They will be worse than the Rams.

If JackCo doesn't make any real effort to work with them then I can see a move to Kansas and I'll be fine with it.
The Rams move to Los Angeles was genius. At the time they were a losing team in a losing city that didnt keep its word on a shitty stadium. If anything Missouri should take notes and not put out another half ass proposal at the last second. No matter how you look at it the region isn't losing the Chiefs so its really hard to see any correlation besides the voices of angry people talking down on an organization that will thrive nonetheless.
Correct, that's why I said the Chief's actions would be far worse than the Rams. Rams didn't have the history or the commitment from STL that the Chiefs have from Jackson County. They went back to their old market.

Chiefs moving out of JackCo would be like leaving your wife for her sister.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

shinatoo wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:24 am

Correct, that's why I said the Chief's actions would be far worse than the Rams. Rams didn't have the history or the commitment from STL that the Chiefs have from Jackson County. They went back to their old market.

Chiefs moving out of JackCo would be like leaving your wife for her sister.
fair point lol
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

If KS somehow manages to offer say a near $2B stadium then expect Chiefs to go for it, would be foolish for Jack to match. And I only see Chiefs making a move if the deal is so tantalizing they'd be fools to turn it down. It's highly likely Chiefs are just using KS as leverage expecting a so-so bid they don't plan to take and use to get most they can from MO for TSC upgrades but if it's a risky massive bid KS is willing to take, sure, they'll go for it. It's not like they are leaving the metro, totally different than teams that leave a metro. Sure it would be an emotional issue for many but a bit shallow to shut them out for doing something that is a no brainer while still being in same market. I'd be surprised if KS offers enough but it could happen.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

"Chiefs moving out of JackCo would be like leaving your wife for her sister."

Not for me personally but for some the sister may be a better option. Of course The Lovin' Spoonbill says it better:
https://www.bing.com/search?q=Did+You+E ... ORM=LCHLRE
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

The Rams move to Los Angeles was genius. At the time they were a losing team in a losing city that didn't keep its word on a shitty stadium. If anything Missouri should take notes and not put out another half ass proposal at the last second. No matter how you look at it the region isn't losing the Chiefs so its really hard to see any correlation besides the voices of angry people talking down on an organization that will thrive nonetheless.
Not really. The Rams never really planned on staying in StL and by the time they really started pushing for massive improvements to the dome or a new stadium, they had already made the decision to leave StL. StL actually supported the team decently. It's night and day difference between Stan Kroenke and the Hunt family. The Hunts are extremely vested in MO side businesses and real estate development. They have barely done anything on the KS side. I really do think that the Hunt family will work with the state of Missouri, the county or hopefully counties and the city of KCMO to come up with a plan that works for everybody.

I agree with shinatoo. If the MO side governments put together a really good proposal that is better for the metro as a whole than moving even more of the economy of the city to the KS side, then the Chiefs should make it happen. If they still go to KS after such a plan then I am 100% done with the Chiefs. If Jackson County, KCMO and Missouri drop the ball then the Chiefs moving to KS is fine.

But it's NOT good for the metro, urban KCMO etc. I don't care how many dates the stadium is used. You are abandoning another major part of the metro for KS sprawl. You are dispersing major attractions further rather than finding ways to bring things together in order to support and justify things like transit and downtown hotels. And you are creating blight.

It might only be used a dozen times a year, but the economic activity from taxes to tourism to where the players and coaches live will all be dramatically reduced on the MO side. And many players start locals companies etc and where do they do that? In the state they live and work in and that will much more likely be the deep KS suburbs.

I have a feeling the MO side will get something done. I sure hope so for the long term health of the metro area.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

GRID wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:57 am

The Rams move to Los Angeles was genius. At the time they were a losing team in a losing city that didn't keep its word on a shitty stadium. If anything Missouri should take notes and not put out another half ass proposal at the last second. No matter how you look at it the region isn't losing the Chiefs so its really hard to see any correlation besides the voices of angry people talking down on an organization that will thrive nonetheless.
Not really. The Rams never really planned on staying in StL and by the time they really started pushing for massive improvements to the dome or a new stadium, they had already made the decision to leave StL. StL actually supported the team decently. It's night and day difference between Stan Kroenke and the Hunt family. The Hunts are extremely vested in MO side businesses and real estate development. They have barely done anything on the KS side. I really do think that the Hunt family will work with the state of Missouri, the county or hopefully counties and the city of KCMO to come up with a plan that works for everybody.

I agree with shinatoo. If the MO side governments put together a really good proposal that is better for the metro as a whole than moving even more of the economy of the city to the KS side, then the Chiefs should make it happen. If they still go to KS after such a plan then I am 100% done with the Chiefs. If Jackson County, KCMO and Missouri drop the ball then the Chiefs moving to KS is fine.

But it's NOT good for the metro, urban KCMO etc. I don't care how many dates the stadium is used. You are abandoning another major part of the metro for KS sprawl. You are dispersing major attractions further rather than finding ways to bring things together in order to support and justify things like transit and downtown hotels. And you are creating blight.

It might only be used a dozen times a year, but the economic activity from taxes to tourism to where the players and coaches live will all be dramatically reduced on the MO side. And many players start locals companies etc and where do they do that? In the state they live and work in and that will much more likely be the deep KS suburbs.

I have a feeling the MO side will get something done. I sure hope so for the long term health of the metro area.
I do not see what Johnson County Kansas would gain from having the stadium other than the prestige of having it. A football stadium is not utilized enough to be an economic stimulus. Any revenue generated by the stadium for the state would be offset by the cost of construction that would most likely be passed onto the residents. Unless the stadium went out deep into exurbia, it just takes up valuable space that would otherwise create revenue for the county and state in JoCo's inexorable suburban march in that direction. Wyandotte County would make far more sense than Johnson County but that doesn't really benefit the Chiefs any more than the current location (which is relatively central and easily accessible from most places in the metro) and I doubt if Wyandotte County residents would want to help pay for it.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Yeah it would have to be an amazing stadium for Chiefs to leave Arrowhead and that's probably near $2B. They likely won't bite with a standard issue just modern enough stadium given Arrowhead is pretty much an historical landmark. However the Chiefs may still demand a new stadium and get KS/MO into a carefully orchestrated bidding war. Even if there's a backout for new stadium they still get a feel of maximum ceiling MO is willing to take for Arrowhead upgrades. Hopefully those kinds of games don't happen but I've seen this tactic used in CRE deals.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

The Chiefs just need to get as close to downtown as possible.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

The strategic genius behind the Chiefs moving is that it basically forces everyone to support a downtown Royals stadium now.

“Well if you wanna keep the Chiefs in Missouri, we’re gonna need the Royals out so we can develop their space” and then boom suddenly nobody gives a shit about Royals going downtown because Chiefs are paramount.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Soccer stadium is probably the best stadium investment anyone could have made.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Chiefs consider renovating Arrowhead, according to team representative

https://fox4kc.com/sports/chiefs/chiefs ... sentative/
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

FangKC wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:40 pm Chiefs consider renovating Arrowhead, according to team representative

https://fox4kc.com/sports/chiefs/chiefs ... sentative/
If we could get a streetcar line added to the Chiefs TSC tax package they're gonna dole out I'd feel alot better. I'd much rather have that then some vacant shops they try to build to spice it up.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I doubt the Chiefs will care about transit being part of the package. That's a main reason they will probably not leave the TSC. They want full control over where 99% of people park and I doubt they can even get that at VW with all the private parking lots out there. I would build transit to the stadium (so long as it's just a stop on a longer line east of the stadium), but not make it part of the Chiefs incentive package.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

If they are developing an entertainment complex around the stadium, with sports betting, they will care about transit.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

shinatoo wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:31 pm If they are developing an entertainment complex around the stadium, with sports betting, they will care about transit.
Exactly. It anchors Truman Sports Complex to the the rest of Downtown and opens it up for all kinds of concerts, events, and year round nightlife plus potential re-development of apartments and hotels in the immediate area. I think it should be looked at as a sweetner to the proposal and not something negative. The amount of people who would take transit vs drive is probably minimal in the grand scheme of things and those who want to are already taking another form of trantis like bus, taxi or rideshare.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Kansas said they'd pursue an offer only if Chiefs "are serious about moving". Will be interesting to see how this all plays out but the good news is that it doesn't seem Chiefs desire a new stadium on MO side. An entertainment district at TSC potentially using TIF would bring a whole other set of risk though for City/County/MO given that area isn't particularly ideal for generating enough consistent daily revenue to cover bonds.
Last edited by earthling on Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

If you build a new NFL Stadium at TSC, you don't do it where the Kauffman is today. That would require waiting until Royals move out (2031) to even begin. Royals Stadium will take a year, maybe more to demo. I don't know for sure, but I suspect Royals & Arrowhead share some utilities and so you'd also have to deal with keeping one side open while the other becomes a hole in the ground. You are talking about a 2035 opening at the soonest for Arrowhead 2.0.

Instead, you build it in the parking lot based on existing utilities and best fit for any proposed redevelopment, transit lines, etc. There will be temporary impacts to parking but you get to open in 2031.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:01 pm Kansas said they'd pursue an offer only if Chiefs "are serious about moving". Will be interesting to see how this all plays out but the good news is that it doesn't seem Chiefs desire a new stadium on MO side. An entertainment district at TSC potentially using TIF would bring a whole other set of risk though for City/County/MO given that area isn't particularly ideal for generating enough consistent daily revenue to cover bonds.
Didnt Kansas also just try to legislate a fund with the sole purpose of getting the Chiefs?
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I think if we have the chance to get Chiefs a new stadium here at the end of their lease…why not ask for it to be built near downtown? I bet Chiefs could be persuaded. It’s not like TSC is some shining jewel. Plus any hotels or venues they built would be used a lot more often year round towards downtown.

We’re funding it. Make them go urban. Imagine the hotel stock we could potentially garner doing that.

It just makes no sense to build a shiny new alien space ship stadium and not be near downtown. What’s so alluring about building on the Royals empty space?