Roanoke, July 2008

Do a trip report here....go to another city and want to relate it to what KC is doing right or could do better? Give us a summary in here.
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Roanoke, July 2008

Post by Roanoker »

If pictures are missing, find them at http://www.flickr.com/photos/115393943@ ... 070603504/.

My son flew to Roanoke from Kansas City on Saturday, 7/26/08. The plan was for my husband, him and me to drive to Niagara Falls. My husband couldn't leave until Monday, 7/28/08, so my son and I schlepped around Roanoke to see what we could see. It didn't feel right to call this thread "Niagara." That will come later.

This is the only picture I'm posting from that first day. These flowers did their best to show the Roanoke Airport in a good light.

My son is looking at Roanoke from one of the many mountains surrounding the city.

Still Roanoke, but a more rural area.

My son emerges from my car. Or he's getting into it. Who cares.

This is a park on Mill Mountain. The zoo--poor little thing--is nearby.

Roanoke has been known as the "Star City" ever since this thing was erected many years ago, originally for a seasonal celebration. You can see it for miles around, even at night, when the tubes light up in multiple colors. Residents decided they wanted to keep it.

More of the park.

A view of a viewing station.

Downtown Roanoke. You can see I-581, which I traverse every day to and from work.

Nice trees in the park.

Discovery Center.

We found a charming garden next to the Center.
Last edited by Roanoker on Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Roanoke, July 2008

Post by AllThingsKC »

Awesome photos, Roanoker!  Roanoke, VA looks like a very nice city.

And, thanks for posting these photos in such a timely manner!   Next July, can we see what Roanoke looks like Janaury?   :lol:
KC is the way to be!
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

AllThingsKC wrote: Awesome photos, Roanoker!  Roanoke, VA looks like a very nice city.

And, thanks for posting these photos in such a timely manner!   Next July, can we see what Roanoke looks like Janaury?   :lol:
Ha! Next July, I'm hoping I'll actually get to the pictures of Niagara Falls! I haven't seen them myself.  :shock:

Oh, yes. Roanoke does have a few good points.
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Hahaha.  This whole time I thought that you were from the Roanoke neighborhood in Kansas City.  Not Roanoke, the city.  #-o

Nice pictures
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

Midtownkid wrote: Hahaha.  This whole time I thought that you were from the Roanoke neighborhood in Kansas City.  Not Roanoke, the city.   #-o

Nice pictures
Thanks. That's funny. We're planning to move back to Kansas City soon. Maybe we should see what houses are available in the Roanoke area there so I won't have to change my moniker.  :D
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

You should.  There are some houses for sale (I think?).  Some of the most solid houses in the metro.  Helps if you are very liberal and politically active...if not, you can be like my family...the weird one and only family of Republicans  (Well my parents are at least...I'm pretty moderate.)
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

Midtownkid wrote: You should.  There are some houses for sale (I think?).  Some of the most solid houses in the metro.  Helps if you are very liberal and politically active...if not, you can be like my family...the weird one and only family of Republicans  (Well my parents are at least...I'm pretty moderate.)
Republican counterculture..... there goes the neighborhood!
A fool and your money are soon united.
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

We are still in the wildflower garden. So that's what you get this week.

Daisies anyone?

I took a bunch of portrait-oriented pictures for some reason.

Well, I had to do something different.

This tree bark looks like scales.

Same subject in three pictures. But oh how beautiful.