Blue Grotto in Brookside

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Blue Grotto in Brookside

Post by kucer »

Anyone know when this place is going to open? It's supposed to be wood-fired pizza joint in the old Foot Traffic space. The back deck area and facade work looks real nice.
jimb
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Blue Grotto in Brookside

Post by jimb »

Foot Traffic closed?  Where are all the high school productions of "Seussical" going to by their crazy socks???
Jeff
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Jeff »

I think it's supposed to open May 20th but they have had several delays so that date may not be accurate.
Jeff
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Jeff »

Now it's late next week
Thaine
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Thaine »

They have done a very nice job on the renovations, judging from the way the outside looks.  I believe this is John Greer's new pizza joint.  Johnny has most recently been with the Peanut, downtown.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

does this sound like the address?

6324 Brookside Plz
mayor_of_waldo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by mayor_of_waldo »

DaveKCMO wrote: does this sound like the address?

6324 Brookside Plz
No I think it is more like 6352 Brookside Plz, if you view it in street view on google maps.

I went by yesterday it looks great, they have done a nice job, and just another reason to never go to Jalapeños-(god I hate that place).
Jeff
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Jeff »

Blue Grotto is having a soft opening today, not sure about the future schedule.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Ate at Blue Grotto last night.  Really cool, fresh, modern look.  The bar in the front is long, with cool wine racks behind and 3, 20 foot tall mirrors.  Really liked it.  The front bar area opens up into the lower dining area which is built out around a centrally located, open kitchen and brick pizza oven.  Plenty of seating upstairs.   

Menu had about 6-7 antipasta selections, 3 salads, and 10ish pizzas.  Not sure if it's a permanent menu. 

Our server was pretty awful.  May just be working out the kinks, though.  Although, can there really be a lot of kinks in an exclusively pizza menu?  Anyway, we waited 1:20 for a pizza, during which time several parties came and went.  I left no tip.  The only time I've ever done that. 

The back lot appears incomplete, with only a 20 foot wooden walkway connecting the parking lot to the back door.  This makes me think they may be adding a back patio with outdoor seating. 

All in all, I was impressed.  Will definately return.  I encourage the rest of you to do the same.  Hope the service improves, though. 
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

Pretty much had the same experience as KCwildcat above.  Overall thought it was good but they really need to tighten up the service.  I don't mind waiting for food as long as I'm still being attended to by the staff. Having empty drinks as the waitstaff passes by again and again is unacceptable.  The manager would walk around the room but not do anything but observe. Hey buddy...get a pitcher of water in your hands and fill the empty water glasses and talk to your guests. They need someone to help manage that end of the house that really knows what they are doing. Waiters sitting and chatting in a service room visible to all instead of helping other staff out is kind of weak.

The food was not amazing , but it was simple and tasty and fairly priced. Really enjoyed the Anitpasti and the plateware they serve it on. They need to work on the consistency of the pizzas though. Ours was not cooked enough while others that came out looked perfect.  I think because they fall behind, they rush getting some pies out instead of letting them cook long enough.  Again I don't mind waiting to get it right, if they make sure we have drinks.  The Greek Salad was interesting and came after our hurried pizza (big no no). They basically put a heart of romaine completely intact on the plate. The crouton is actually still a bread stick. You basically have to cut it up the lettuce and bread stick into croutons. I kind of enjoyed doing it, but I figure some folks (maybe older) will be turned off by it.

The space is terrific. It reminded me of a darker, more modern Free State Brewery with it's open high ceilings and second level.  We ate on the second level which I think I would prefer every time.  Very loud in the place, which I actually like, as it makes it feel like a big city place with lots of action going on even though you are in DT Brookside.  The only negative of the space is that they have one toilet for the men and one for the women.  Just crazy that they didn't even put maybe two for the women and a urinal and toilet for the men.  I think they will end up regretting that.  Overall though, whoever owns this place spent a lot of dough to make the place look real nice.

Lastly, we loved sitting at the big bar upfront before being seated ......and no smoke!  :D  Smokers were all lining the sidewalks of Brookside Plaza giving it a nice, though unintended, bustling feel. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

We went last night.  They did a great job with the space.  Loved the bar and the loft seating.  Pizza was good.  I'll probably stick with Pizza Bella most of the time due to location and I have my favorites there but this is a great addition to Brookside.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
superfly
Surface Lot

Post by superfly »

Ate at the Blue Grotto last night.  They did a great job with the decor, but the pizza was below par. Waited an hour for a thin crust 4 cheese pizza that was not good! Had an app. that was obviously pre-packaged.  Waiter was attentive.  But overall I have no plans to return.  Will stick with Waldo Pizza!
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

No dine-in at Waldo Pizza today - there was a water main break in Waldo!
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

tried Blue Grotto last night. 

decent by-the-glass wine list, most selections $6-7. 

my gf and i shared the greek salad and a funghi pizza. 

the greek salad was fine, but the attempt to make it look "fancy" on the plate only called attention to the fact that the ingredients weren't that great.  seemed like canned stuff plated to make it look special and worth the inflated price. 

the pizza was good.  the san marzano tomatoes touted on the blackboard indeed make a mighty fine pizza sauce.  other than that, the pizza was merely good, not great.  the cheese and mushrooms were average.  the crust had a good flavor, but i wish it had a bit more crunch to it rather than just chewy.  if you're going to boast about your 900-degree oven or whatever, your pizza should taste like it came from such an oven! 

service was efficient and impersonal. 

the space itself is really attractive.  i like the "garage door" facade, wood floors, and the black walls with mirrors.  pretty chic for brookside - it would look more at home in the Crossroads rather than across the street from Price Chopper.  this strip of brookside has quietly turned into a nice little neighborhood hub though, with Domo (best sushi i've had in KC), Carmen's, Jalepeno's, etc. 

all in all, i think Blue Grotto is good, but nothing about it makes me clamor to go back.  i would give it a B or B-.  if friends, coworkers, or relatives want to eat there, i will happily go, but i will not go out of my way to recommend it.  it is definitely a solid neighborhood place though.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

ate at BG before the jill scott concert last night. i wouldn't go out of my way to eat here, but it's a good option and a swank setting for the comparatively preppy brookside set. wine selection was good and obviously has some connection to cellar rat. pizza was as good, if not better, than pizza bella (sorry rob). bathrooms rock.
mayor_of_waldo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by mayor_of_waldo »

The First Lady and I went to Blue Grotto last night for the first time. We had 2 Bobs 47s and a four cheese pizza.

We paid $10 for our Beers, not for both, $10 EACH! Two beers and cheese bread for $34, the place is nice but what the fuck?

Is that most for a beer in KC?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

mayor_of_waldo wrote: We had 2 Bobs 47s ..

We paid $10 for our Beers, not for both, $10 EACH!
whaaaaaaaaaaa?!?!?!?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

just came from a party at Beaver Creek, CO, ...swanky...had a drink at the lobby bar, $10 for a gin&tonic, $15 for a cosmo...Bob's 47???
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

mayor_of_waldo wrote: The First Lady and I went to Blue Grotto last night for the first time. We had 2 Bobs 47s and a four cheese pizza.

We paid $10 for our Beers, not for both, $10 EACH! Two beers and cheese bread for $34, the place is nice but what the fuck?

Is that most for a beer in KC?
You sure that was beer?
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Inflation is over 5% a year these days. It adds up.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit