"Seed" vegan restaurant

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

"Seed" vegan restaurant

Post by rxlexi »

checked this place out for saturday brunch this weekend after seeing their ad in the Pitch.  I was surprised by two things; one, that I hadn't heard of it, on here or elsewhere, and two, how relatively packed it was considering it's location (29th and Cherry, right over behind the Filling Station and Gillham Row townhomes) and newness (this was their second week open). 

we had a reasonably satisfying and healthful brunch (Belgian Waffle, fresh fruit and some kind of delicious soy/grain bacon), but I really enjoyed the atmosphere.  Seed is in a small storefront with big windows facing Cherry, a variety of colorful art on the walls (all for sale), comfy seating and A Tribe Called Quest bouncing around at just the right volume.  Very bright inside, great for brunch.  The brunch menu consisted of various pancakes, waffles, scrambled tofu, BLTs, 'chicken' sandwhich, etc. etc. 

Check it out if you're into the vegan/natural foods thing (this replaced my usual Sat. healthy brunch at Eden Alley).  It's great to see places like this and You Say Tomatoe opening along and east of this stretch of Gillham;  I hope they can make it. 
are we spinning free?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: "Seed" vegan restaurant

Post by DaveKCMO »

this may sound like a strange question, but did you smell like the restaurant after you left? i kinda gave up on my two favorite brunch spots because i couldn't stand smelling like my food for hours after i left. it's one thing for dinner, but it's another when you've got the whole day ahead of you.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

is this the restaurant that was supposed to go in the "BAD SEED" space at 19xx McGee?

either way, i'll be checking this place out asap.  did you happen to see the hours?
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

dave, uh...no, I can't recall smelling like the food that I ate all day...but I've never noticed such a thing before so I'm probably not the right person to ask :).

chrizow, I think the former Bad Seed raw foods place, Fud, was something different entirely.  I thought I recall seeing the hours being fairly late, like 9 or 10pm weekend nights.  I can't remember though, honestly.  Check out their (small) ad in last week's Pitch, it lists the hours I believe.  The food won't blow you away and the service was a little 'new business' slow, but on the whole it's a solid place and I'm happy to see it open.  A belgian waffle isn't too hard to ruin though, so take that for what it's worth.  That damn soy bacon though..highly recommended.  Very friendly owners as well.
are we spinning free?
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

"Hit it, lick it, split it and quit it." -James Brown
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

rxlexi wrote: I was surprised by two things; one, that I hadn't heard of it, on here or elsewhere, and two, how relatively packed it was considering it's location
This shouldn't surprise you. A lot of new residences have built nearby and more on the way.  Longfellow was already an established residential neighborhood with many folks living there.  It's also next door to all the people who work at Crown Center and on Hospital Hill.

Teocali is another newish restaurant in the same neighborhood.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Teocali is a great little spot.  Enchiladas Rojas are good typical enchiladas.  Tacos are good.  Salsa spicy.  Chicken entrees can be a little bland.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

dangerboy - i was surprised in reference to Seed's location off of Gillham, facing Cherry, not the Longfellow neighborhood in general.  It seems like it could be a tough spot for them; there is very little cross-traffic on Cherry, and it's far enough and hidden enough from CC/Hospital Hill (unlike Teocali) that I hope they can still draw those folks consistently.
are we spinning free?
Sussudio

Post by Sussudio »

it reminds me of cafe berlin in columbia, mo, if anyone has ever ventured there before...
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i wish Seed had more than like 5 items on the menu. 
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

chrizow wrote: i wish Seed had more than like 5 items on the menu. 
There are only so many ways you can combine nuts, polenta, and lettuce :)
bellastagiona
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by bellastagiona »

just wanted to let y'all know..."seed" is no more.  apparently, not having anticipated her success, the owner was in the midst of some much-needed improvements, got pregnant, and had complications forcing her to go on bedrest.  since she was owner/chef/sales/everything for the cafe, she didn't have any choice but to close the doors.  so now the building's for lease/sale. 

and i never even made it over there.  :cry:
whatever you can do or dream you can, begin.  boldness has genius, power and magic in it.  begin it now.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

If she ever reopens, I'd bet she would be a much better fit in the area of YJ's, Birdies, etc.  Rent in the old Aesthetica spot is probably too high, but it would be a great spot for a vegan/vegetarian/raw whatever restaurant.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

Web site says it reopens tomorrow.
bellastagiona
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by bellastagiona »

there are signs in the cafe windows saying it'll reopen april 1st, as well.  however, according to the real estate agent handling the building lease/sale, it's not reopening. 

re: the cafe's "fit," apparently one of her problems was that she didn't plan for success quite well enough -- she didn't have the equipment and/or help necessary to handle the amount of business that came in.  she was in the midst of installing a new vent hood for the kitchen, apparently, when her troubles started.  one can't help but feel for the lady! considering kc's dearth of veg eateries, i do hope that she's able to reopen in future even if this particular adventure didn't turn out too well. 
whatever you can do or dream you can, begin.  boldness has genius, power and magic in it.  begin it now.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

PumpkinStalker wrote: Rent in the old Aesthetica spot is probably too high, but it would be a great spot for a vegan/vegetarian/raw whatever restaurant.
I just saw yesterday that the old Aesthetica spot was spoken for.  I can't recall what it is, but I feel like a suburban store moving inward.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

AJoD wrote: I just saw yesterday that the old Aesthetica spot was spoken for.  I can't recall what it is, but I feel like a suburban store moving inward.
indeed: http://forum.kcrag.com/http://www.kcrag ... 88#p333188
bellastagiona
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by bellastagiona »

peruvian connections has really beautiful clothes, albeit far out of my price range.  it'll be nice to go see the fabrics in person for once, though!  :)
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

just wanted to let everyone know Seed is back up and running, and now has sidewalk tables!  I drove by to confirm the outdoor seating but I've not been back yet; I had a friend tell me who frequents the place that it is indeed back in biz.  Here's to more veggie friendly places in KC, and to Seed for making it back!
are we spinning free?