2007 Downtown Urban Homes Tour Survey

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
Czar
New York Life
New York Life

2007 Downtown Urban Homes Tour Survey

Post by Czar »

Looks like a great turn out this year, the downtown was packed.  What are your thoughts on the some of the projects?  What was your favorite unit that you toured?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: 2007 Downtown Urban Homes Tour Survey

Post by DaveKCMO »

loved first+main, 700 broadway, and union carbide. hated coffee lofts and cold storage. total oversight not having a police presence in the loop, similar to what is there M-F 8-5. the shuttle appeared popular, however.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

909 Walnut was on the top of my list.  I also like the location for 1st and Main, but wasn't fond of the layouts.
Last edited by PumpkinStalker on Sat May 05, 2007 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kuwolde
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kuwolde »

I'm jealous of all of you that are getting a chance to go on the Urban tour this year.  Thanks to my great work schedule this week I'm working all weekend.

:(

Any pictures you guys can take and post on here would be appreciated.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

we didn't get to see nearly what we wanted....we got drawn in by the Cinco de Mayo party.

What I noticed is the traffic was horrible downtown all day...not just from the urban tour but a few other things going on....I'm not sure how engineers think we have plenty of capacity to handle the sprint center / P&L traffic if on a Saturday with a few events going on, it's gridlock downtown....

I guess that could be because of I-35 and various construction closures...I hope.

I'm still in love with Wallstreet towers though...the views are spectacular. 
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i had seen wallstreet towers and 909 walnut before, so i didn't hit them this year. my favorite view in wallstreet is the model unit that faces the bryant building. i would love to look at that thing outside my window all day! there is a unit in 909 that faces the commerce bank sign (25th floor?). it's an amazing view as well.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Did anybody do the after party at Martini Corner?  The bar staff was completely unaware of the free drink things being handed out.

The Sol party looked like a lot of fun but $10/$15 to get in?  Come on.  Lots of hotties in there....people were dressed fine yesterday, that's for sure.

KCFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCFan »

KCPowercat wrote: we didn't get to see nearly what we wanted....we got drawn in by the Cinco de Mayo party.

What I noticed is the traffic was horrible downtown all day...not just from the urban tour but a few other things going on....I'm not sure how engineers think we have plenty of capacity to handle the sprint center / P&L traffic if on a Saturday with a few events going on, it's gridlock downtown....

I guess that could be because of I-35 and various construction closures...I hope.

I'm still in love with Wallstreet towers though...the views are spectacular. 
The traffic was bad yesterday, but 35 being shut down routed a lot of people downtown, plus the Urban Tour, plus Dave Ramsey, plus something at the Lyric.  Then compounding things is the stop lights downtown pretty much being timed to not move traffic (aka hitting every stop light).  I'm not too worried about it because there's a million ways to get into downtown.  The city fixing the stop lights will be a major improvement.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i was all over downtown on foot yesterday and only saw traffic on southbound broadway. the rest of the loop was completely devoid of auto congestion all day long.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

There was something going on at Bartle...Main was snarled around 11.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

Bartle Hall yesterday = the Belton Prom, some type of dance contest and the Easyriders show.  Kind of an odd mix.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I really enjoyed the UL tour, my personal favorites being First + Main (loved the potential river views, location, non-drywallified units and amenities/price ratio), 909 Walnut (oh my god i want the model unit with the private 6th floor patio, gorgeous building, and they are condo quality rentals), 5 Delaware (developer Sally's unit was awweesome), and Wallstreet (ditto DaveKCMO's thoughts). 

I also really enjoyed our free drinks at Martini Corner (I used the beer, martini and wine), particularly enjoying the 'Dogs patio with my delightful Manhattan and the great service and bruschetta the Drop.  We also ordered additional drinks, of course, and ended up drinking away our evening far too early :).  I did notice that the bartenders, particularly at Velvet Dog, could have been a bit more prepared for the free drink giveaway, and I felt sorry for them despite their slightly gruff attitude towards the whole thing.  I hope everybody else was tipping on those free drinks, too.  Overall a great time, I thought it was really well done...
are we spinning free?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

I was surprised by all the families with kids touring the models in my building.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

I really enjoyed some of the units in the DE Lofts complex or whatever you want to call it. There was one in particular that was just amazing on the 4th floor of 410 Delaware. 5 Delaware was also pretty cool. Those penthouses definitely gave off a James Bond villain/Hugh Hefner vibe but maybe that's just me. My favorite thing about First + Main was the tile in the showers, other than that, I wasn't really that impressed. 909 Walnut was definitely not my style but it was nice. I wish I had more time to go into more buildings, it was a lot of fun.
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Took the shuttle bus down to Union Hill.  Why as part of an "urban tour" do they insist on stopping at the door of every single property?  Run it down Main an let people actually WALK to the properties.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

lock+load wrote: Took the shuttle bus down to Union Hill.  Why as part of an "urban tour" do they insist on stopping at the door of every single property?  Run it down Main an let people actually WALK to the properties.
ability to see more properties?  We were on foot the whole time I checked out about 5 places in two hours...no way to hit them or even close w/o very close transportation I would guess.

lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

KCPowercat wrote: ability to see more properties?  We were on foot the whole time I checked out about 5 places in two hours...no way to hit them or even close w/o very close transportation I would guess.
You waste even more time on the shuttle unless you're using it to get a long distance.  It's just a quick to walk from say first & main to 909 walnut.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

good point.  I don't see a problem routing the bus to each stop....those who want to check out properties close together can make the decision to walk...but still have the ability to jump on a bus from which ever property.

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

just out of curiousity... was the max running with additional frequency on saturday? i saw two max buses following each other at 9th and grand. i know it was the normal schedule on sunday.
HalcyonKC
New York Life
New York Life

Post by HalcyonKC »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: My favorite thing about First + Main was the tile in the showers, other than that, I wasn't really that impressed.
I also wasn't that taken with First & Main.  It seems like a really solid project but the units on the tour just seemed sort of cold and sterile to me.  I think if they had painted the drywall a color other than white, it might have warmed things up a bit to offset the concrete floors.