810 Zone on the Plaza

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
LaurenKU
Pad site
Pad site

810 Zone on the Plaza

Post by LaurenKU »

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: 810 Zone on the Plaza

Post by KCMax »

Guess that's what happens when they were rebuffed from P&L. Kinda cool that the Plaza has become a backup plan. And I don't mean to disparage the Plaza - just great we have options.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I guess I should like this, it is a local business...but I just cannot stand most of the 810 crew anymore.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

wouldn't it need to go in the old mark shale space? are there other openings?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Mark Shale is waaaay to big I'd think.

mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

so this probably means no kaufman stadium site either.so is the espn zone still a no go?
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

KCPowercat wrote: I guess I should like this, it is a local business...but I just cannot stand most of the 810 crew anymore.
Even your beloved propagandist, Kevin Kietzman?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

mykem wrote: so this probably means no kaufman stadium site either.so is the espn zone still a no go?
I thought this meant the ESPNZone is probably going to P&L.

Big Sam
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Big Sam »

KCMax wrote: Guess that's what happens when they were rebuffed from P&L. Kinda cool that the Plaza has become a backup plan. And I don't mean to disparage the Plaza - just great we have options.
Not sure if they were rebuffed.  They investigated the move but declined the location in light of what the rents were in the district.

I am hopeful the P&L works well, and those rents are okay within market realities due to the business level that occurs.  However, how much traffic there will be is still anyone's guess, and thus if you are going to pony over the big money to locate downtown, the Plaza at least gives one an idea of what kind of traffic levels one can expect if your concept is feasible.

Now, if a baseball stadium were to be built downtown (if the vote had failed for Truman), my guess is they would have more actively sought the downtown location due to the obvious tie-in.

It will be interesting to see who else jumps on board for the P&L area.  Not sure if you will see a zone concept there or not.

Later,
Sam S.
TfromKC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by TfromKC »

This is weird. I talked to a partner with KC Hopps last week and he told me 810 Zone had come to terms in the P&L District. He was 100% certain. I'm not sure what is going on.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: I guess I should like this, it is a local business...but I just cannot stand most of the 810 crew anymore.
Surely not because they aren't purple enough?
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Slappy the Wang »

KCPowercat wrote: Mark Shale is waaaay to big I'd think.
Actually, I was working with a restaurant client who was considering Shale as well.  The owner will subdivide the space.

Another option might be to take over G. Brett's....I've heard it MAY be available.
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

maybe the want ad is a ruse to throw people off of the cordish trail! we've been duped! i would be sure that plaza rents are as high as or higher than P+L???
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

DaveKCMO wrote: maybe the want ad is a ruse to throw people off of the cordish trail! we've been duped! i would be sure that plaza rents are as high as or higher than P+L???
I would have thought that too but it sounds like Cordish is really trying to set a new bar.  I have to figure that the property owners of the surrounding store fronts must be asking quite a pretty penny too or surely we would have seen a few more signs of people proactively snapping them up to leach off the district. 
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Slappy the Wang »

DaveKCMO wrote: i would be sure that plaza rents are as high as or higher than P+L???
Likely, but P&L will be the hotter draw for a while.  With the multitude of new retail, eating & drinking joints in the metro the Plaza is slowly becoming a destination retail center rather than the meet/greet/lounge/meander place it was just a few years ago.  
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i suppose it's possible they could open in both? can you overexpose a franchise based on an AM radio station?
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

There is the space above Pottery Barn.  Pretty good size square footage and it was already a restaurant so not too much infrastructure buildout would be necessary. 
WorldTraveler
New York Life
New York Life

Post by WorldTraveler »

Slappy the Wang wrote: Likely, but P&L will be the hotter draw for a while.  With the multitude of new retail, eating & drinking joints in the metro the Plaza is slowly becoming a destination retail center rather than the meet/greet/lounge/meander place it was just a few years ago.  
Not. In the 2+ years since I have moved here it has become more and more popular as a social gathering place with my associates who live farther North, South, East, and West. I think you might be getting a little ahead of yourself there!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

From the Star on Sept 11, 2006:

Tempting as it was, the dollar signs were too high to lure the WHB-affiliated 810 Zone sports bar downtown — too risky.

Not to say there won’t be an 810 Zone coming to a neighborhood near you, the Plaza, for instance — possibly in the space formerly occupied by Canyon Café.

“We’re definitely interested in the Canyon Café,â€

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Surely not because they aren't purple enough?
I'm not a KK fan...but I really don't see how you can think that radio station is really to far to any extreme...they have one KSU fan that I know of on-air....Fescoe is easily has far off in KU world as KK is in KSU world...not to mention the mullet as well being a KU homer.

This place has to be going to Canyon Cafe...nice re-find there Max.