810 Zone on the Plaza

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: 810 Zone on the Plaza

Post by trailerkid »

WSPanic wrote: I think my problem with them can be said of sports radio everywhere - bunch of sports nerds trying to be the biggest/baddest douchebags on the block.
hmm...can't say i begin to agree there. Sports radio can be entertaining both nationally and in other peer markets. We have nerdy big XII/Chiefs fans boring us to death here. Someone needs to tell KK and others to get a personality before getting a radio program. At least Whitlock was capable of being amusing and entertaining...
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

WSPanic wrote: I think my problem with them can be said of sports talk radio everywhere - bunch of sports nerds trying to be the biggest/baddest douchebags on the block.
Fixed it for you.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

^^^^ AKA....Handsome Dan (Wayne's World)
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Plaza will sport a new 810 Zone

ohnson County’s 810 Zone is coming to the Country Club Plaza.

The concept — a sports bar on one side, restaurant on the other, with a radio booth in the middle for live broadcasts —will open its second location in the former Canyon Cafe spot at 4626 Broadway. It is scheduled to open in the spring.

“We love the Plaza because of the traffic and it is unique to the whole country,â€

Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KCMax wrote: Plaza will sport a new 810 Zone

ohnson County’s 810 Zone is coming to the Country Club Plaza.  he Plaza location also will have a game room with pool tables and arcade games.
WOW!  That's a great idea!  I was wondering if they'd do something unique in that space - something we can't do anywhere else in the city - and my question was answered.  This should be an amazing concept.

In all seriousness, where to park?  I'm dead serious.  That spot has horrible parking.  And you know darn well the "Kietz-Niks" from the suburbs who go to visit the first time, will moan like crazy aobut parking.  And maybe not come back.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

pittsburghparoyal wrote: In all seriousness, where to park?  I'm dead serious.  That spot has horrible parking.  And you know darn well the "Kietz-Niks" from the suburbs who go to visit the first time, will moan like crazy aobut parking.  And maybe not come back.
Oh, I don't know....

MAYBE IN THE TEN STORY GARAGE UNDER Valencia Place???

I don't think that garage has ever filled up for any reason.  You also have a garage right across the street and street parking and the new saks garage across 47th.

I have NEVER ever ever had a problem finding parking on the plaza.  Most of the time, I can find a street spot (I prefer those), but it would take an act of god to fill all the garages to capacity down there.

And to top it off, it's all free.  That alone is something extremely rare in urban areas.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

pittsburghparoyal wrote: In all seriousness, where to park?  I'm dead serious.  That spot has horrible parking.  And you know darn well the "Kietz-Niks" from the suburbs who go to visit the first time, will moan like crazy aobut parking.  And maybe not come back.
I agree that many people will not see lots of apparent surface parking and their heads will explode. It just needs to be impressed upon people that there's plenty of parking on the Plaza. It just ain't on the street.
JDluu
Pad site
Pad site

Post by JDluu »

I completely agree bahua. It is illustrated really well during things like the plaza lighting. The parking garages are there all the time and even though there are a lot of out of towners, i'm sure that a lot of people from the suburbs really need all those extra parking signs and guys in orange vests pointing toward the garages.

btw, there was a has been a large dumptster parked on broadway just outside this place all weekend. They are sitting in my normal parking spot for barnes and noble, but its good that they might be starting demo.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

Uh, there's also a big parking garage entrance directly across the street from the entrance to the space. If they can't see that, then they don't need to be driving. How is a parking garage in the same block, and one across the street, horrible parking?
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

It's not horrible parking, but to someone that's used to sunny swaths of open land entirely devoted to parking, it's pretty disorienting. I'm not saying I know the answer, but far too many people see the lack of abundant surface lot parking as "horrible parking."
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

there isn't a single area of this entire metro where parking is an issue whatsoever.  zero. 

if people are so stupid or lazy that they cannot find parking on the plaza, which boasts over 1,000 parking spots PER BLOCK, then they shouldn't leave the house. 

there are TWO huge, obvious garages within 50 yards of 810 Zone, in addition to relatively abundant street parking amongst the apartment buildings a block north of 810 Zone.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Please.  Based on the number of JoCo cars I see at the Plaza (customers of the current 810 Zone), I think they know how to park in a garage.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Kard wrote: Please.  Based on the number of JoCo cars I see at the Plaza (customers of the current 810 Zone), I think they know how to park in a garage.
Agreed.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

even though it is clearly established that JoCo people know how to park on the Plaza, i don't think that the Plaza 810 Zone is necessarily trying to go for JoCo customers.  while i'm sure JoCo people will go there when they find themselves on the Plaza, my guess is that the (heavily-JoCo-saturated) Plaza/Westport/UMKC area generally has plenty of KSU, Big XII, and sports fans who will go to 810 Zone. 
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Screw this place.  I'm going to the new Chick-fil-a.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Kard wrote: Screw this place.  I'm going to the new Chick-fil-a.
I'm still waiting for us to get a What-a-Burger!

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

If they wanted to attract a new and exciting market other than Johnson County, they should have went to the Downtown/Crossroads area to capture more of the urban core and the northland and other areas on the MO side.

The plaza area is in many cases is an extention of JoCo or even JoCo's "Downtown" at least market wise.  Seems like they are diluting their existing market base more than they will grow their market to other parts of the region with a plaza location.

But hey, go for it.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

it's not like only JoCo people go to the plaza.  more than half of the plates there are from MO, and i doubt many MO people would rather go to the 119th 810 Zone than the Plaza.  for that matter, i would think that NE JoCo people (many of which are sportsfans i am sure) would rather go to the Plaza than TCP.  add tourists, northlanders, etc. into the mix and it's a no brainer to me.  i don't think it would siphon business from the 119th location whatsoever.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

I predict they'll make gobs of money.  So much money that no one will go there anymore because it's too crowded (thanks, Yogi).
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

810 zone would seem like a poor fit in the Crossroads and I guarantee if they had opened there, a lot of posters would have bemoaned their choice.