Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by DaveKCMO »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:18 pm The crossroads location has the biggest chances of happening by far in comparison to the other two sites. I can go into why this all came about later in the process but that's information I can't share at this point.
Good luck acquiring the properties. This is a fight and the neighborhood is here for it.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

What neighborhood are knocking down? There’s maybe two occupied buildings in the one block we are taking about here. Most of that is a storage bizz.

You’re trying to suggest that this site would take longer to fully develop but you’re not considering how much longer EV would take to build out? This site is already next to all the momentum. This site opens and on day one is vibrant even if it’s just the stadium.

EV is all self-producing. It’s not next to anything exciting and would be years upon years before it’s fully finished. If ever.

Your fears are valid but I think they’re more valid when applying them to EV.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

DaveKCMO wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:45 pm
DColeKC wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:18 pm The crossroads location has the biggest chances of happening by far in comparison to the other two sites. I can go into why this all came about later in the process but that's information I can't share at this point.
Good luck acquiring the properties. This is a fight and the neighborhood is here for it.
Don’t see it being the fight you make it out to be. As mentioned, if a stadium doesn’t go here something else will. Is it opposition to a stadium or opposition to change in general?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:51 pm
Don’t see it being the fight you make it out to be. As mentioned, if a stadium doesn’t go here something else will. Is it opposition to a stadium or opposition to change in general?
Multiple landowners have said good luck, we're not selling
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:53 pm

Ok. I still don’t see that being much of an obstacle.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:49 pm What neighborhood are knocking down? There’s maybe two occupied buildings in the one block we are taking about here. Most of that is a storage bizz.

You’re trying to suggest that this site would take longer to fully develop but you’re not considering how much longer EV would take to build out? This site is already next to all the momentum. This site opens and on day one is vibrant even if it’s just the stadium.

EV is all self-producing. It’s not next to anything exciting and would be years upon years before it’s fully finished. If ever.

I thought the royals were going to put billions in development?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:55 pm
DColeKC wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:49 pm What neighborhood are knocking down? There’s maybe two occupied buildings in the one block we are taking about here. Most of that is a storage bizz.

I thought the royals were going to put billions in development?
They were, but it’s just like any other master development plan. Stretched out over phases. It wasn’t all going to be built at once.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:54 pm

You underestimate the Crossroads, which has no institutional overlords for a reason. Just because Matt Abbott wants to sell doesn't mean the rest will.

You also have to win an election for the sales tax. Not guaranteed at all.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

The Crossroads site is so untenable. WoodDraw pointed most of the reasons why above. Sure, Cordish and the mayor met but that’s just because the EV negotiation is going so poorly. But, talk switching to another site just makes that SO much worse. And this is why I’m so frustrated with the DCole pandering. Everyone wants him around because he tells you that an athletic store is expanding. But, he’s got half of you considering a site that would knock down “only 5% of the Crossroads”. And you’re considering it! You’re going through the scenarios…on a site that’s not even doable without several wrecking balls. I thought this was a development forum? Meanwhile, the only real possibility for the Royals, EV, negotiation is crumbling quickly. It’s bad, and I thought this city had turned a corner.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

DaveKCMO wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:23 pm
DColeKC wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:54 pm

You underestimate the Crossroads, which has no institutional overlords for a reason. Just because Matt Abbott wants to sell doesn't mean the rest will.

You also have to win an election for the sales tax. Not guaranteed at all.
I don’t estimate or underestimate anything. The area needed for this doesn’t even have a parcel owned by Abbott. I don’t think a few property owners not willing to sell at this time is a major factor. Especially if it’s just on principle.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:27 pm The Crossroads site is so untenable. WoodDraw pointed most of the reasons why above. Sure, Cordish and the mayor met but that’s just because the EV negotiation is going so poorly. But, talk switching to another site just makes that SO much worse. And this is why I’m so frustrated with the DCole pandering. Everyone wants him around because he tells you that an athletic store is expanding. But, he’s got half of you considering a site that would knock down “only 5% of the Crossroads”. And you’re considering it! You’re going through the scenarios…on a site that’s not even doable without several wrecking balls. I thought this was a development forum? Meanwhile, the only real possibility for the Royals, EV, negotiation is crumbling quickly. It’s bad, and I thought this city had turned a corner.
4% of that is the star building. Lol

You can pretend I don’t know anything. I know people involved in this process and I know for a fact that they would not be wasting time on something that’s not possible. I know what I heard from John Sherman’s mouth while standing near him on a patio of three light as he overlooked the landscape. I know what I’ve heard the mayor say from the beginning that this location is his preferred location.

I’ve told this forum so much more than rally house expanding. I was aware of this plan over a month ago and told a member on here about that in confidence.

Do you understand that development isn’t simply building things where there is nothing? It’s all about optimization of land use. You and I may disagree on what is the best location of the stadium but please stop pretending this is fake and not a realistic scenario. Also, it’s ok that some of us are more excited about this location than others. We don’t all have to agree.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

There's nothing more obnoxious than telling people that have put years into downtown development that they don't know what they're talking about because you had a happy hour.

The incentives don't align for anyone other than cordish.

It's time to announce east village and end this bs.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Read the comments:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CzwWOoUvyxq ... _copy_link
TheKCToday

The hunt for a new Royals stadium location just turned south, literally.

The former Kansas City Star printing pavilion at 1601 McGee St. was previously pitched and rejected, in favor of spots in Jackson County’s East Village and Clay County’s North Kansas City. Now, the Royals may have re-focused their eyes and attention to the site on McGee, which is already situated amongst entertainment, restaurant, and retail venues in the Crossroads and Power & Light districts.

What are your thoughts about this potential ballpark location?
DaveKCMO might be right. The tax might not pass. It was discussed on Kansas City Week in Review tonight on KCPT and it was mentioned that suburban Jackson County voters (Independence, Raytown, Blue Springs, Grain Valley, Oak Grove, Lee's Summit, Grandview) might sink the proposal. They don't want the stadium moved farther away.

The other point Kevin Collison made on the program was that Sherman needs some of their own entertainment and retail development around the stadium to help fund the stadium. Assuming Sherman is considering how it will benefit Cordish might be a stretch. It might not be in his interest to have the stadium night next to the P&L District. Yes, it's in Cordish's interest to have the stadium next to P&L, but not necessarily Sherman's.
Last edited by FangKC on Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Again, I'd look at these articles with skepticism. This is being led by cordish which doesn't want east village.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

langosta wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:34 pm Which major long lines buildings were closed without replacement?

I am aware that intermediate microwave stations closed. Not aware of any long line centers that closed without replacement. Care to provide examples?
Nashville
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I really don't get the hate DColeKC is getting here. This forum has few people that truly have at least some inside connections to what is going on. From what I have see in all of his posts, they tend to turn out to be pretty reliable and even when he has been wrong, it's pretty easy to explain since development in general is very fluid till a project is built and open.

I get it that lot of people don't like the idea of a stadium on the Star press building site. But it makes a lot of sense for a lot of reasons. Just like the EV site does.

Cordish is STILL basically the ONLY developer in KC building substantial projects downtown. They were the only company to even reply to the RFP on the project near the Current Stadium if I recall. They seem to be ramping up their investment in downtown KCMO even more. Why not let them see what they come up with?

The Royals walked away from the Star site because of all the complications, but maybe Cordish and the city has some ideas that might help overcome those obstacles. Or maybe Sherman figured out that there is zero demand for another large entertainment district downtown. So what if Cordish is looking out for the P&L District? Would you rather have a company be hands off and look the other way and end up with another Country Club Plaza fiasco? It would be a total disaster for KC if the P&L district were to ever fail and no other company would put as much effort into making that project work than Cordish has. I personally think they have done a fantastic job in a downtown that is really not that busy or developed, has no pro teams etc. Canned entertainment district for suburbanites or not, it's still doing well and pretty well leased in a downtown that can't even support a Mcdonalds.

DColeKC, like most others here, just want downtown KC to thrive. We all might have different opinions on how to make that happen, that's all.

I think the EV project needs a partner like Cordish or it's just not going to work. It will end up being a stadium and that's about it. The problem is if Cordish is going to be a part of this, then they are going to want to protect and enhance their other investments at the same time and find a way for these projects to feed off each other rather than compete with each other.

I am torn by both sites till there are more details. But if they can make the Star site work it's just a better location. EV will always be an island downtown. I think it's worth a try but only if it's the only option.

If they can't do a downtown stadium right in either location, then you may as well just rebuild at the TSC. There is a reason EV excites almost nobody and the idea of a stadium in east crossroads is getting attention. The biggest problem is the loss of existing businesses and buildings, but it just might be worth it IMO. At least wait and see what they are thinking of doing.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

You're better than this grid. Cordish builds because they get free garages and wait until they hit 90% occupency.

I tried to say the reasons it doesn't make sense, but we're into high school prom voting. Whatever.
Imarealperson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Imarealperson »

Are we really worried about tearing down 1-2 story post war crap buildings just because “They’re kinda old”?

I don’t hate the Star building plan. The Crosroads guys can bitch all day, it won’t matter. Sharon Rensenhouse and those “churches” will happily take a payday.
Metro
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Metro »

If the new stadium is as popular as some pretend it is on here they wouldn't be talking about another location 2 months past their delayed announcement. That franchise is a JOKE
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

WoodDraw wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:31 am You're better than this grid. Cordish builds because they get free garages and wait until they hit 90% occupency.

I tried to say the reasons it doesn't make sense, but we're into high school prom voting. Whatever.
I agree. But what are the options? Renderings that never happen at all?