Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by beautyfromashes »

Crossroads will NEVER. HAPPEN! What this really means is that the Royals are nibbling on the corners worrying about small differences in money and aren't in a position of power. They are trying to create a scenario where they can look across the table and say they are going to walk away with a semi-straight face (to some make-believe secondary site). Everyone knew the NKC site had no legs for so many reasons so they're trying "We have options!!!" version 2. Next comes false Johnson County rumors, or real JOCO rumors, idk. Talk about Crossroads is disastrous! It likely means no baseball downtown. You're witnessing a stalemate.
Last edited by beautyfromashes on Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

shinatoo wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:13 pm https://www.kansascity.com/sports/mlb/k ... 26858.html

Crossroads renderings.
Very low grade rendering there but I'm sure it's just to show the footprint. It's smart use of the land with the most minimal impact to existing buildings. KCPowercat gets to keep his beloved strip club! Just joking KCP, don't hit back too hard.

It really does impact the least amount of existing businesses. It shows the At&t building either refurbished or replaced. That location becomes the building with the best ballpark views, so fingers crossed it could be sold and flipped.

From what I have knowledge of combined with the rendering.

Makes the current jail site area ideal candidates for future development or parking garages considering that area is slightly hidden from view. The two building locations to the west off Truman are happening regardless. This only impacts one block of businesses with what, AmGraf a few vacant buildings and a storage company. Certainly nothing that's thriving. I'm sure they'd buy up any and all other property where the existing owners are willing to sell.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

The AT&T building is practically impossible to replace, unless AT&T wants to spend considerable amounts of money to move all of the operations into a new structure. It’s not your common office building. In the instances of the smaller ones across St. Louis, where I’m from originally, they have all the business and home phone lines, Internet lines, and other things all coming to them. It’s basically the same reason why the Bryant Building will be home to that Cloud Storage Center.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

^ You don't listen! The longlines building can't be "replaced" or "refurbished"! It has like a trillion miles of cables and switches that are the backbone of the entire telecom industry in the city, even region. And this is why I left the board and why this will likely be my last post. No one knows anything. You're just making shit up. Goodbye all.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:10 pm Crossroads will NEVER. HAPPEN! What this really means is that the Royals are nibbling on the corners worrying about small differences in money and aren't in a position of power. They are trying to create a scenario where they can look across the table and say they are going to walk away with a semi-straight face (to some make-believe secondary site). Everyone knew the NKC site had no legs for so many reasons so they're trying "We have options!!!" version 2. Next comes false Johnson County rumors, or real JOCO rumor, idk. Talk about Crossroads is disastrous! It likely means no baseball downtown. You're witnessing a stalemate.
This is by far the most inaccurate take I've seen yet. I have information and I've dropped nuggets in here prior to this coming to light that verify that. The crossroads location has the biggest chances of happening by far in comparison to the other two sites. I can go into why this all came about later in the process but that's information I can't share at this point.

This has nothing to do with a negotiation tactic. It has everything to do with the right people backing it that can get things done at the city level and the right private money behind it that other locations didn't have. The people who have taken a great amount of time recently to work on this don't waste time just to help the Royals negotiate a different location. That includes the mayor and city manager.

This site has all the momentum right now and I know they're pressing hard to get this done very soon.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:15 pm ^ You don't listen! The longlines building can't be "replaced" or "refurbished"! It has like a trillion miles of cables and switches that are the backbone of the entire telecom industry in the city, even region. And this is why I left the board and why this will likely be my last post. No one knows anything. You're just making shit up. Goodbye all.
Please leave.

Telecommunication's have come a long way over the last several decades. The space requirements these days are a fraction of what they used to be and long lines buildings in other cities across the country have in fact been demolished.

Please come back when all this pans out and you look like an ass... oh wait, come back when all this pans out and continue to look like an ass.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:13 pm The AT&T building is practically impossible to replace, unless AT&T wants to spend considerable amounts of money to move all of the operations into a new structure. It’s not your common office building. In the instances of the smaller ones across St. Louis, where I’m from originally, they have all the business and home phone lines, Internet lines, and other things all coming to them. It’s basically the same reason why the Bryant Building will be home to that Cloud Storage Center.
I understand the complexities involved. I also understand the insane maintenance older, large buildings require and the fact that they're using far less of this facility than they used to. It's feasible they could build a smaller building next door, making the re-routing of network cabling, switching equipment etc more manageable.

I'm not saying it's easy or even realistic. It has been done before.
DMNBT_RCJH
Pad site
Pad site

Post by DMNBT_RCJH »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:15 pm ^ You don't listen! The longlines building can't be "replaced" or "refurbished"! It has like a trillion miles of cables and switches that are the backbone of the entire telecom industry in the city, even region. And this is why I left the board and why this will likely be my last post. No one knows anything. You're just making shit up. Goodbye all.
A bit dramatic, and I'm prone to the occasional dramatic outburst.

-------------------------------------------

As I've made clear, this is my preferred site and I think this is the site that "sells."

If you seek taxpayer funding, you're going to need buy-in from Jackson County suburbanites. You know what Jackson County suburbanites LOVE? Hot Country Nights and going to the Power and Light District. They are familiar with it. They are familiar with the crossroads.

A new ballpark in the East Village? A downtown area they had never heard of before this discussion started? A whole new entertainment district? That's a much harder sell.

I stand pat on what I said last night that I believe most of the land has already been consolidated into a few primary owners who have a motivation to sell.

I'm hopeful this gets done, as I think this is the best location for the biggest and longest term impact for downtown. Sure, the EV is a massive gaping hole, but I am highly skeptical private investment would flock there as the royals tried to state.
Last edited by DMNBT_RCJH on Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DMNBT_RCJH
Pad site
Pad site

Post by DMNBT_RCJH »

As to the longlines and KC Star building, let this be another reminder to NEVER EVER build a giant, purpose built building in a downtown area.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

DColeKC wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:18 pm I have information and I've dropped nuggets in here prior to this coming to light that verify that. The crossroads location has the biggest chances of happening by far in comparison to the other two sites. I can go into why this all came about later in the process but that's information I can't share at this point.
You. Know. Nothing.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

DMNBT_RCJH wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:43 pm

I stand pat on what I said last night that I believe most of the land has already been consolidated into a few primary owners who have a motivation to sell.
You're on to something.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:46 pm
DColeKC wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:18 pm I have information and I've dropped nuggets in here prior to this coming to light that verify that. The crossroads location has the biggest chances of happening by far in comparison to the other two sites. I can go into why this all came about later in the process but that's information I can't share at this point.
You. Know. Nothing.
Sure. This is why I said two weeks ago to be on the lookout for this to come to light and that we should all toss what we currently know. Because I know nothing. I've also given information to members privately just to verify I know what I'm talking about.

What do you contribute again? You sure as hell ain't adding anything or spreading holiday cheer.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

When the Royals decide they don’t want to be downtown after all, everyone should remember your posts above because misinformation and false rumor can kill this deal in a beat. (If) it’s hanging by a thread, talk of the Royals shopping or exploring, or whatever will be the final nail. If it happens, people like you are to blame.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:46 pm
You. Know. Nothing.
Sincerely, Jon Snow
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:58 pm When the Royals decide they don’t want to be downtown after all, everyone should remember your posts above because misinformation and false rumor can kill this deal in a beat. (If) it’s hanging by a thread, talk of the Royals shopping or exploring, or whatever will be the final nail. If it happens, people like you are to blame.
lol.

I have said nothing that's not accurate. I wasn't going to say anything until it became public which is did yesterday, so I'm not sharing any information that local journalists don't have. They already know that John Sherman, Blake Cordish, the city manager and the mayor were together at Populous. Do the math.

And you have already said, in all caps mind you, that this will never happen. Now you're trying to blame people like me if it doesn't? You are all over the place.

It's really simple. This is the site that has the most momentum. NKC has been dead for a month. East Village is option number 2. You don't have to be nostradamus to figure this out.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

DMNBT_RCJH wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:46 pm As to the longlines and KC Star building, let this be another reminder to NEVER EVER build a giant, purpose built building in a downtown area.
Like a baseball stadium? :lol:
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Which major long lines buildings were closed without replacement?

I am aware that intermediate microwave stations closed. Not aware of any long line centers that closed without replacement. Care to provide examples?
Last edited by langosta on Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:11 pm From what I have knowledge of combined with the rendering.
If this is the site boundaries being considered it is a lot less destructive than what was discussed months ago. One block of east crossroads east of Oak leveled instead of four and sparing the east side of Grand, and you could restore 16th street between McGee and Oak. This would get my vote even over EV. At the very least, the Royals could work with AT&T to get some massive LED displays put up on the south elevation of the Long Lines building. Maybe that could even be the new version of Crown Vision.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Critical_Mass wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:37 pm
DColeKC wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:11 pm From what I have knowledge of combined with the rendering.
If this is the site boundaries being considered it is a lot less destructive than what was discussed months ago. One block of east crossroads east of Oak leveled instead of four and sparing the east side of Grand, and you could restore 16th street between McGee and Oak. This would get my vote even over EV. At the very least, the Royals could work with AT&T to get some massive LED displays put up on the south elevation of the Long Lines building. Maybe that could even be the new version of Crown Vision.
You read my mind when thinking about LED displays on the side of the At&t building if it can't be repurposed to residential.

I tossed that picture together in photoshop based off of the junky rendering that came out this evening. That rendering according to my eyes shows the stadium where I placed the larger square. That's actually a very tight footprint even in comparison to Progressive Park which is the smallest MLB ballpark currently by capacity. The stadium would have to be very vertical and under 35,000. Would be helpful if someone could also watch the video they put out and see if my drawing is accurate.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

I'm absolutely against any plan that closes Oak. Considering Grand is closed half the time and the 670 park deck is going to close 1 or 2 streets, Oak is needed. I use Oak all the time, it's easily my most used North-South street through downtown/crossroads.

Another example I made using Camden park for scale. it loses some of the buildings along gra