Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by GRID »

After spending quite a bit of time in Jackson County on this trip, I may have to change my mind on keeping either stadium out there. Most of Jackson County outside of Lee's Summit and Blue Springs is a total shithole. Everything basically west and north of 470 is just really weird.

I would say now that I 100% would not support the idea of a new baseball stadium out there and I really hope the Chiefs do something to clean up the area and just make it better. Jackson County outside of central KCMO and a few suburban areas is just a mess and it looks like it's never going to get better.

I really hope that adams mark hotel is dealt with before the world cup...

If Jackson County can't start investing in their infrastructure and just get that county cleaned up, then maybe it is time for arrowhead to go to another suburban location. I would prefer the northland over KS, but even KCK and JoCo might be an option over Jackson County. Turn the TSC into a warehouse park.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:17 pm After spending quite a bit of time in Jackson County on this trip, I may have to change my mind on keeping either stadium out there. Most of Jackson County outside of Lee's Summit and Blue Springs is a total shithole. Everything basically west and north of 470 is just really weird.

I would say now that I 100% would not support the idea of a new baseball stadium out there and I really hope the Chiefs do something to clean up the area and just make it better. Jackson County outside of central KCMO and a few suburban areas is just a mess and it looks like it's never going to get better.

I really hope that adams mark hotel is dealt with before the world cup...

If Jackson County can't start investing in their infrastructure and just get that county cleaned up, then maybe it is time for arrowhead to go to another suburban location. I would prefer the northland over KS, but even KCK and JoCo might be an option over Jackson County. Turn the TSC into a warehouse park.
That's why I was telling you 6 months ago the best spot is southern JoCo but I'm willing to settle for Village West. I don't even get excited about the VW site, but the TSC area is just too much of a shithole.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

The chiefs going to Kansas would result in a complete and utter fucking uproar from Chiefs fans. Just can't imagine them leaving Kansas City for any reason whatsoever.

With the Royals gone and plans announced for 2026 World Cup, the TSC could look much different by 2026 and completely different by 2027/8
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:54 pm The chiefs going to Kansas would result in a complete and utter fucking uproar from Chiefs fans. Just can't imagine them leaving Kansas City for any reason whatsoever.

With the Royals gone and plans announced for 2026 World Cup, the TSC could look much different by 2026 and completely different by 2027/8
1. A significant portion of fans do live in KS
2. KS is already making moves to attract the team and putting incentives in place. These are actionable items that also successfully lured Sporting KC across to KS.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I know this prob isn’t possible, but if we could cut a trade where we trade SKC to downtown in exchange for the Chiefs getting a shiny new Kansas stadium- I’d do the trade.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

normalthings wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:12 pm
DColeKC wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:54 pm The chiefs going to Kansas would result in a complete and utter fucking uproar from Chiefs fans. Just can't imagine them leaving Kansas City for any reason whatsoever.

1. A significant portion of fans do live in KS
2. KS is already making moves to attract the team and putting incentives in place. These are actionable items that also successfully lured Sporting KC across to KS.
KS is going to throw everything at them no doubt. Hard to compare them landing Sporting to the Chiefs. Unlike many owners, Clark is also all about tradition and I’m willing to bet he and his father talked about this scenario while he was alive.

Just don’t see a move out of Missouri.

I’ve been a STM for years and years. Don’t think I’d renew if a move to Kansas happened.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:46 pm I know this prob isn’t possible, but if we could cut a trade where we trade SKC to downtown in exchange for the Chiefs getting a shiny new Kansas stadium- I’d do the trade.
beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:42 am My negotiation for bi-state funding of all sports buildings: I’ll agree to let the chiefs leave for Kansas on the condition that funding is equal for both sides of the metro, T-Mobile is included for an NBA franchise, Royals DT and a future Sporting stadium on on the river DT.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Sporting is coming downtown eventually without much pushing and pulling from the vibe I get. Long term vision.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I'm sure the Chiefs will stay where they are, but if they did move, I do wish they would stay in Missouri. I would rather see them go to Overland Park than KCK. I just can't stand that village west area of KCK. I can't even put my finger on why, but it's just a very "culturally" bizarre area to me. I feel so out of my comfort zone when I'm in that area. I just have zero interest in anything out there.

What about moving the stadium to be a part of the Bannister Cerner development? At last you have something already started there with all the office space. There is plenty of room to build up the rest of the site with a stadium, hotels, entertainment etc. It seems like that area might actually come back before 70 and Blue Ridge ever does.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:19 pm I'm sure the Chiefs will stay where they are, but if they did move, I do wish they would stay in Missouri. I would rather see them go to Overland Park than KCK. I just can't stand that village west area of KCK. I can't even put my finger on why, but it's just a very "culturally" bizarre area to me. I feel so out of my comfort zone when I'm in that area. I just have zero interest in anything out there.

What about moving the stadium to be a part of the Bannister Cerner development? At last you have something already started there with all the office space. There is plenty of room to build up the rest of the site with a stadium, hotels, entertainment etc. It seems like that area might actually come back before 70 and Blue Ridge ever does.
Farther from downtown. Closer to Kansas. Maybe easier to do LRT to with the 71 Highway ROW or Country Club ROW
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

normalthings wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:28 pm
GRID wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:19 pm I'm sure the Chiefs will stay where they are, but if they did move, I do wish they would stay in Missouri. I would rather see them go to Overland Park than KCK. I just can't stand that village west area of KCK. I can't even put my finger on why, but it's just a very "culturally" bizarre area to me. I feel so out of my comfort zone when I'm in that area. I just have zero interest in anything out there.

Farther from downtown. Closer to Kansas. Maybe easier to do LRT to with the 71 Highway ROW or Country Club ROW
It doesn't seem like there is any real plan to bring true mass transit to the TSC and the Bannister site has a rail right of way as well nearby that has been studied for passenger rail in the past.

The only reason I would choose the Bannister site is because there is already stuff happening there and it's still a suburban location, in KCMO and right on 435. The Bannister area has the Oracle offices, but is also seeing other investment such as apartments, retail hotels etc while I-70 and blue ridge is going nowhere but downhill. You could put a stadium right up against 435 there and build the area up nicely complimenting the offices etc and make it a true mixed use development. Then let the TSC become a light industrial park / distribution center since it's set up for lots of truck traffic and Jackson County wins with both sites.
Last edited by GRID on Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:45 pm
normalthings wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:28 pm

It doesn't seem like there is any real plan to bring true mass transit to the TSC and the Bannister site has a rail right of way as well nearby that has been studied for passenger rail in the past.

The only reason I would choose the Bannister site is because there is already stuff happening there and it's still a suburban location, in KCMO and right on 435. The Bannister area has the Oracle offices, but is also seeing other investment such as apartments, retail hotels etc while I-70 and blue ridge is going nowhere but downhill. You could put a stadium right up against 435 there and build the area up nicely complimenting the offices etc and make it a true mixed use development. Then let the TSC become a light industrial park and Jackson County wins on both sites.
TSC is almost the start of the ROW. Bannister - Plaza mostly has ROW already in place.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I don't even think it matters for an Arrowhead development. I just don't see KC building a LRT system and that's really the only type of transit that would benefit an NFL stadium development. However, if the city did ever build something like that, both sites would likely be a part of a proper LRT system serving Jackson County.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I know this has been floated several times but I just for the life of me don't understand why a site just outside of downtown isn't being considered. Either pick a super-suburb like southern JoCo or go just outside downtown. This Village West vs TSC debate is just dumb. Both are shitty.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:11 am I know this has been floated several times but I just for the life of me don't understand why a site just outside of downtown isn't being considered. Either pick a super-suburb like southern JoCo or go just outside downtown. This Village West vs TSC debate is just dumb. Both are shitty.
What place just outside of downtown do you want to demolish?
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

WoodDraw wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:34 am
AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:11 am I know this has been floated several times but I just for the life of me don't understand why a site just outside of downtown isn't being considered. Either pick a super-suburb like southern JoCo or go just outside downtown. This Village West vs TSC debate is just dumb. Both are shitty.
I'd just put it West Bottoms. Heck I'd even just tear down HyVee arena and replace it with Arrowhead if that was the best spot. I play basketball there every week and that place is a ghost town, decades away from ever being developed. Just put Arrowhead there and by the time that part of WB ever comes to fruition it'll already be time for a new stadium again.
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:49 am
I'd just put it West Bottoms. Heck I'd even just tear down HyVee arena and replace it with Arrowhead if that was the best spot. I play basketball there every week and that place is a ghost town, decades away from ever being developed. Just put Arrowhead there and by the time that part of WB ever comes to fruition it'll already be time for a new stadium again.
Is there anyway you could squeeze both the Chiefs and Royals into West Bottoms?
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Rusty Irish wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:19 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:49 am

Is there anyway you could squeeze both the Chiefs and Royals into West Bottoms?
Only if you wanted to make another TSC, haha. I think the Royals need to go to Crossroads and build a Wrigley/Fenway urban experience. Fills in a lot of perma-empty surface lots, catalyze the E Crossroads too.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

When the Royals come downtown, city needs to subsidize some parking garages so that it keeps more attractive for surface lot owners to develop rather than keep it parking for the games. That needs to happen and then we can build practically anywhere and not worry about that being a problem.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Interesting.

"Kansas City Manager Brian Platt has suspended plans to hire a consultant to take part in stadium talks involving the Royals and Chiefs. In a memo to City Council members dated Sept. 1 and provided to The Star, Platt said he would “refrain” from engaging the consultant until his staff can further discuss potential stadium requirements with a council committee, or the full council. It’s the right decision.
While the city’s interest in the stadium negotiations is clear, there is no evidence of an immediate need to hire an outsider to oversee the talks. And there is certainly no need to do so unilaterally, without a full discussion with the City Council and the public. At the same time, there are important lessons to be learned from this wrinkle in the stadium saga, which has captivated the region for some time. The public still has no idea what the Royals want to do, or the Chiefs. The Royals have said they’re exploring a downtown stadium, but have not disclosed specifics, or said when a decision might be made.
No one knows for sure what the Chiefs may request — a renovated stadium, a new stadium, or a move across the state line into Kansas. We still don’t know who will pay for needed renovations for the World Cup in 2026. The lack of transparency from both clubs, and murky comments from local officials involved in the negotiations, have prompted a frenzy of speculation and rumor. Platt’s decision to hire an “owner’s representative” accelerated the guessing game."

Read more at: https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/edit ... rylink=cpy