Best Downtown Apartments?

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Best Downtown Apartments?

Post by AllThingsKC »

kcdcchef wrote: you are so right, i always said that, the best spot to live in kc is qh. you are near so many entertainment options, and dining options, and crown center and river market are both walkable, rideable, or driveable. easy access to walk to barney allis plaza in the summer, bartle for events, all the theaters in the area, go to case park to check out sunset, dry cleaners near by, on or near all the major bus routes, and AFFORDABLE.

i absolutely LOVED my 3 bdr pad at 910 penn, i was so happy to sit in my place and watch the construction of qh and dt happening, but, the place, for $500 ( Many Many years ago ) was unbeatable, 11th floor penthouse with a big screen and a pool table, exercise room, pool with early and late season hours ( opened in early may and stayed open until early october )  laundry on premise, business center, dry cleaning, salon, grocery delivery, secured entrance, the place was great. not too much to look at from the outside, but, at one point in time, 910 penn, also called franklin tower for many years, was the prime address to live at in dtkc. no longer, but, once was.

love that place. and qh in general. such a nice neighborhood, and the redo of the 80's-90's was remarkable, brick sidewalks, medians, gas style lamp posts, really attractive.
Wouldn't people who live in Crossroads have a great location, too?  Right between the CBD and CC/Union Station.  One downside, though: I would feel isolated from the CBD and the pedestrian walkways over I-670 aren't that great, either.

The River Market area is nice, but I think it would still have that "isolated" feeling.
KC is the way to be!
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

There's not enough in the Crossroads to keep me interested. It's not right downtown, so the buses don't all converge there. It's very expensive, and getting worse all the time, and the bulk of downtown is at least a 20 minute walk away.

I wouldn't mind living there, but only if I can't live right downtown.
sethyg
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by sethyg »

bahua wrote: There's not enough in the Crossroads to keep me interested. It's not right downtown, so the buses don't all converge there. It's very expensive, and getting worse all the time, and the bulk of downtown is at least a 20 minute walk away.

I wouldn't mind living there, but only if I can't live right downtown.
I'm at 16th and Walnut and I'll tell you what, I didn't think I'd like this location as much as I liked 523 Grand.  But now that I've been here a few months, I'm liking it a LOT more.  Soon enough I'll be two-three blocks from the Ent. district and the rest of downtown, plus I'm close to work, Crossroads bars/restaurants, First Fridays, etc.

It was a welcome change.
Burton
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Burton »

KCLofts wrote: I'm pretty happy with my view from the River Market:
:) Nice, I can see my place in that.
Here's my view...
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

These pics were taken on my cell phone (before I got my camera).  I still use my cell phone sometimes, because the pictures are easier to put online (even though it's the poorest quality you can get).

But, anyway, here's the view from my Quality Hill apartment...

Image Image

Image Image
KC is the way to be!
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

AllThingsKC wrote: These pics were taken on my cell phone (before I got my camera).  I still use my cell phone sometimes, because the pictures are easier to put online (even though it's the poorest quality you can get).

But, anyway, here's the view from my Quality Hill apartment...

almost identical to the view i had from the 9th floor where i lived. where you at allthingskc? 910 penn? qh towers? the cordova?
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

kcdcchef wrote: almost identical to the view i had from the 9th floor where i lived. where you at allthingskc? 910 penn? qh towers? the cordova?
Quality Hill Towers....the south one.  I have seen pictures of the skyline from the other Quality Hill Towers apartments, as well as 910 Penn.  And you're right.....almost identical.

I love this apartment!!!!
KC is the way to be!
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

still loved my loft at 2029 wyandotte, the safeway building. Smack in the crossroads, close to everything. The pedestrian bridge to US will dump into the crossroads very close.  I didn't mind the walk to downtown.  I think when the P&L construction begins to wind down, the walk will be even better.  As for crossing 670, the bridges are being redone, and some of the pedestrian amenities will be very attractive.  The Max stop was 2 blocks away. Can't beat that.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
driver 8
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by driver 8 »

I've enjoyed my year here in the Library Lofts but I found a space at the Landmark Lofts that's over 200 sf bigger than my current loft for the same price it would have cost me to renew my lease here. So Rivermarket here I come!
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

bahua wrote: I keep putting off buying a place, because I love my place in Quality Hill so much. If I buy a place, it has to be within two blocks of Broadway, between 9th and 12th. That's a tall order, I know, but the quality of life here is unparalleled in the metro, in my opinion.

-Rent: $875 (includes one off-street parking spot)
-about 1100 sq ft(lots of room for brewing)
-washer/dryer/dishwasher in the apt
-2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms
-stays cool in the summer, warm in the winter

But most importantly: LOCATION!! I live within walking distance of over 50 bars, all of downtown's services, and more bus stops than I even know of.

The neighborhood is beautiful, quiet, and safe. There are lots of beautiful women about, as well.

As a single 27-year old man, I couldn't ask for more in a place to live.
for some crazy reason i can't find a website for quality hill to peruse prices and such.
i'm almost about to stroll away from the leafy streets of midtown for the cacophony of downtown.  any information would be nice -
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
VELO DOOM
Pad site
Pad site

Post by VELO DOOM »

driver 8 wrote: I've enjoyed my year here in the Library Lofts but I found a space at the Landmark Lofts that's over 200 sf bigger than my current loft for the same price it would have cost me to renew my lease here. So Rivermarket here I come!
I don't know which building you were in but my time here has not been the greatest.  Drunk party boys yelling and running down the hall, dogs pissing/shitting in the building, the neighbor not knowing what volume control is on the tv after 11pm, piss poor property management...so like you, I'm gonna give the river market a try.  The two options if that completely sucks is buying a house or moving to chicago.  Oh and this could also be posted in the "is living downtown still a novelty" thread...cause my answer would be yes for above reasons. 
great men live dangerously, small men don't take chances.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

voltopt wrote: for some crazy reason i can't find a website for quality hill to peruse prices and such.
i'm almost about to stroll away from the leafy streets of midtown for the cacophony of downtown.  any information would be nice -
Apartments dot com, I think, has listings. You can call the office at 816 472 1000, and they'll be happy to show you a unit or two. Or, you could wait until my new roommate moves in, and we'll have a party to which you will be invited. You can check things out then.
driver 8
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by driver 8 »

VELO DOOM wrote: I don't know which building you were in but my time here has not been the greatest.  Drunk party boys yelling and running down the hall, dogs pissing/shitting in the building, the neighbor not knowing what volume control is on the tv after 11pm, piss poor property management...so like you, I'm gonna give the river market a try.  The two options if that completely sucks is buying a house or moving to chicago.  Oh and this could also be posted in the "is living downtown still a novelty" thread...cause my answer would be yes for above reasons. 
I guess my experience hasn't been as bad as yours. My neighbors on the 12th floor are pretty quiet and I haven't had any issues with management. I agree with you about floor six with all the terrible smells like the person who cooks fish on that floor at least once a week. :x Does anybody here rent from mallin/gibson? If so how are they to deal with because that's who owns the Landmark lofts.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I love living in Quality Hill.  It is the nicest area of Downtown (even for the price), IMO.  I'm close to just about everything downtown, and I have some great views.

It sure beats living in a van down by the river!    :lol:
KC is the way to be!
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

bahua wrote: Apartments dot com, I think, has listings. You can call the office at 816 472 1000, and they'll be happy to show you a unit or two. Or, you could wait until my new roommate moves in, and we'll have a party to which you will be invited. You can check things out then.
word - sounds like a good time!
i have a friend that lives in the townhouse building on 10th and pennsylvania - a nice two story two bedroom layout.  are they all in the new buildings, or are some of them in the older buildings in the neighborhood?  hmmm... the plot thickens...
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

The townhomes, the flats under them, and the nearby apartment buildings are almost all under the management of NQH.
kc-vino
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kc-vino »

Pacific House in the rivermarket is fabulous at 401 Delaware, across from the now deceased cup and saucer.  Every unit is different and has tons (over 50%) of the wall exposed brick.  I pay $520 for around 700 sq ft and really good amenities.
Put your money where your mouth is...live downtown.  Get out of the car and walk, shop, and play in the city.  Don't bring a suburban attitude/lifestyle to the city, rather be apart of changing the urban fabric for the better.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

kc-vino wrote: Pacific House in the rivermarket is fabulous at 401 Delaware, across from the now deceased cup and saucer.  Every unit is different and has tons (over 50%) of the wall exposed brick.  I pay $520 for around 700 sq ft and really good amenities.
I've always been fond of that building. Great design and aesthethics. And the pedestrian path next to it is nice.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

In 2001, when I first moved to town, those places were renting for $350 a month.
kc-vino
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kc-vino »

Tosspot wrote: I've always been fond of that building. Great design and aesthethics. And the pedestrian path next to it is nice.
That path is right outside of my window.  Yea the building is great.  The walls are dry wall with newspaper between them unfortunately.
bahua wrote: In 2001, when I first moved to town, those places were renting for $350 a month.
Yes just a couple of years ago the RM in general was very reasonable.  Still is when you compare it to the crossroads but it has gone up.  But so have the services.
Put your money where your mouth is...live downtown.  Get out of the car and walk, shop, and play in the city.  Don't bring a suburban attitude/lifestyle to the city, rather be apart of changing the urban fabric for the better.