Best Downtown Apartments?

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Best Downtown Apartments?

Post by AllThingsKC »

Now that I have lived downtown for over a year, I often wonder what life is like in other downtown apartments.  Such as: cost, size, parking, view, apartment amenities (like a swimming pool or workout room) near by amenities, etc.

From my apartment in Quality Hill, I can see much of the skyline (including The View).  From what I have seen of The View, they have some great lofts.  I am sure some of them have great views as well.  But, it seems to be far from the upcoming P&L District.  So, what about Crossroads?  They can have some great views, be close to P&L, close to Crown Center, but most of the buildings are older (like my current apt.)

So, taking cost/size/parking/best views, etc into account, where are the best downtown apartments?
KC is the way to be!
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Best Downtown Apartments?

Post by lock+load »

The View is condos, not apartments.  I assume you live in Quality Hill Towers?  Probably not going to find much cheaper than that downtown.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

lock&load wrote: I assume you live in Quality Hill Towers?  Probably not going to find much cheaper than that downtown.
I am not so worried about cost, just the "best overall."
KC is the way to be!
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I keep putting off buying a place, because I love my place in Quality Hill so much. If I buy a place, it has to be within two blocks of Broadway, between 9th and 12th. That's a tall order, I know, but the quality of life here is unparalleled in the metro, in my opinion.

-Rent: $875 (includes one off-street parking spot)
-about 1100 sq ft(lots of room for brewing)
-washer/dryer/dishwasher in the apt
-2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms
-stays cool in the summer, warm in the winter

But most importantly: LOCATION!! I live within walking distance of over 50 bars, all of downtown's services, and more bus stops than I even know of.

The neighborhood is beautiful, quiet, and safe. There are lots of beautiful women about, as well.

As a single 27-year old man, I couldn't ask for more in a place to live.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Walking by the other day, I saw one of the QH condos on 10th was for sale.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

i'd like them to get to crackin' on the southside of 12th street along pennsylvania and jefferson... its ripe!  ripe, i tell you!  build more residential!
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

lock&load wrote: Walking by the other day, I saw one of the QH condos on 10th was for sale.
heh, I need to afford it, too.
Rusty
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty »

For the best "living space", I think 909 Walnut is a significant notch above anything else downtown.

QH is the best neighborhood.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Rusty wrote: For the best "living space", I think 909 Walnut is a significant notch above anything else downtown.
Talk about not affordable.

If you meet the income restrictions, try one of the affordable units from Library Lofts or the new Professional buiding.
Rusty
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty »

lock&load wrote: Talk about not affordable.

If you meet the income restrictions, try one of the affordable units from Library Lofts or the new Professional buiding.
When I looked, prices were very comparable to the Library Lofts, if you had to pay market rate.  IIRC, they were actually better.  There were many units available that had rent under $800, without income restrictions.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

$800 is definitely more than I want to pay, by myself. If that's for a 2-bedroom place, then maybe.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Two-bedroom units go for over $2000 a month at 909 Walnut.  They're very nice units, but expensive.  But the original question didn't say anything about expense.  The building goes condo in 4 or 5 years (not sure when, really).  You can put 10% of your rent payments towards a downpayment on a unit.  The asking price on the units will be very expensive...you can count on that.

Personally, I won't be moving there anytime soon.  If I can blow a grand on an apartment and plan to stay here, I'm buying something instead.  But they were fun to look at on the Urban Tour.  I enjoyed the view from the windows more then the units themselves.  :)

http://909walnut.com/
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

When I looked at 909 last summer, $750 was the least expensive unit in the building, the smallest one bedroom.  There was only one at that rate, 7th floor east view, and it just went up--and that did not include any parking, that was another $65 a month.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Yeah, I think they've evilly priced themselves. To turn a tidy profit, they're charging mortgage-level monthlies for rental, so people have to sit through that before they can eventually buy one of the units which, I predict, will start in the mid hundreds.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

So, Quality Hill has among the lowest prices in downtown.  What about apartments in the P&L District, and when the P&L district opens, how will it effect those apartments?

Also, which apartments/condos/lofts/etc have the best VIEWS of the skyline?
KC is the way to be!
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

AllThingsKC wrote: Also, which apartments/condos/lofts/etc have the best VIEWS of the skyline?
I'm pretty happy with my view from the River Market:

Check out the Richards & Conover lofts at 5th & Wyandotte.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Just today I had a friend move into 909 Walnut.  The unit is pretty nice, it had a nice looking kitchen, a really nice bathroom and a pretty cool view east.  The neatest thing about that building was the outside patio.  If you haven't seen it you should really try.  Downtown looked great at night.

KCDowntown
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

That is an awesome view.  How far is that from the P&L district?  I'm trying to find the place with the best view, best amenities (like the P&L district, when it opens), best value, best EVERYTHING!
KC is the way to be!
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

AllThingsKC wrote: So, Quality Hill has among the lowest prices in downtown.  What about apartments in the P&L District, and when the P&L district opens, how will it effect those apartments?
I'm sure everything downtown will get a lot more expensive, apart from rent/income-controlled stuff.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

bahua wrote: I keep putting off buying a place, because I love my place in Quality Hill so much. If I buy a place, it has to be within two blocks of Broadway, between 9th and 12th. That's a tall order, I know, but the quality of life here is unparalleled in the metro, in my opinion.

-Rent: $875 (includes one off-street parking spot)
-about 1100 sq ft(lots of room for brewing)
-washer/dryer/dishwasher in the apt
-2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms
-stays cool in the summer, warm in the winter

But most importantly: LOCATION!! I live within walking distance of over 50 bars, all of downtown's services, and more bus stops than I even know of.

The neighborhood is beautiful, quiet, and safe. There are lots of beautiful women about, as well.

As a single 27-year old man, I couldn't ask for more in a place to live.
you are so right, i always said that, the best spot to live in kc is qh. you are near so many entertainment options, and dining options, and crown center and river market are both walkable, rideable, or driveable. easy access to walk to barney allis plaza in the summer, bartle for events, all the theaters in the area, go to case park to check out sunset, dry cleaners near by, on or near all the major bus routes, and AFFORDABLE.

i absolutely LOVED my 3 bdr pad at 910 penn, i was so happy to sit in my place and watch the construction of qh and dt happening, but, the place, for $500 ( Many Many years ago ) was unbeatable, 11th floor penthouse with a big screen and a pool table, exercise room, pool with early and late season hours ( opened in early may and stayed open until early october )  laundry on premise, business center, dry cleaning, salon, grocery delivery, secured entrance, the place was great. not too much to look at from the outside, but, at one point in time, 910 penn, also called franklin tower for many years, was the prime address to live at in dtkc. no longer, but, once was.

love that place. and qh in general. such a nice neighborhood, and the redo of the 80's-90's was remarkable, brick sidewalks, medians, gas style lamp posts, really attractive.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D