Cordish: "Keep the buses out"

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

yeah, the physical presence of buses is nothing to be concerned about. hell, the pollution and noise downtown is already bad with nothing really happening.

this is clearly a race-based policy. "don't let the dirty minorities sit there and wait for the bus. it might impact Joe JoCo's bowling game at Lucky Strike."

give me a break. i almost wish we just let downtown grow organically like the Xroads. Cordish sounds like it is going to boggle P+L.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

chrizow wrote: Cordish sounds like it is going to boggle P+L.
Cordish is just there to create a sanitized, generic, suburban-friendly entertainment district-- which they're doing.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

trailerkid wrote:
chrizow wrote: Cordish sounds like it is going to boggle P+L.
Cordish is just there to create a sanitized, generic, suburban-friendly entertainment district-- which they're doing.

:x
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

If a bus is OK pulling up in front of Tiffany and St. John...I don't see the problem with one pulling up in front of a freaking Hard Rock Cafe. :roll:
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

carfreekc wrote:
yo mama wrote:
How would it hurt the enviroment for pedestrians?!?
It's just that no one wants to be shopping while there are big huge machines driving around and causing a nousance. It is just like letting buses drive IN the Plaza. I'm glad they arent letting buses in.
Yeah, NO ONE shops or eats along the 16th Street Mall in downtown Denver, where buses run all day one right after the other, or along Nicollet Mall in downtown Minneapolis. Fifth Avenue in New York? The buses scared off shoppers long ago. No one shops there. Or the Plaza here, for that matter.
Funny you should mention Denver since I was on the 16th st mall for the fireworks on New Years Eve. Huge crowds of people in the street and traffic control had to scream at the top of their lungs for everyone to get on the sidewalk every time a bus came through, which was like every 5 minutes. It would be easier if street closures for big events like this didn't have to make exceptions for bus routes, and I would imagine KC will be seeing similar crowds after large events at the arena or concerts. It's just a couple of blocks on a couple of streets.

Of course, you could always close the streets to buses as well during big events...Im not sure why Denver didn't do that.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Keep the buses running down baltimore and grand...not a huge deal.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
carfreekc
New York Life
New York Life

Post by carfreekc »

KCNorthlander wrote:Funny you should mention Denver since I was on the 16th st mall for the fireworks on New Years Eve. Huge crowds of people in the street and traffic control had to scream at the top of their lungs for everyone to get on the sidewalk every time a bus came through, which was like every 5 minutes. It would be easier if street closures for big events like this didn't have to make exceptions for bus routes, and I would imagine KC will be seeing similar crowds after large events at the arena or concerts. It's just a couple of blocks on a couple of streets.

Of course, you could always close the streets to buses as well during big events...Im not sure why Denver didn't do that.
In Denver the buses along the 16th St Mall are specifically for that mall, which is closed to other traffic on a regular basis. They're free shuttles that go from one end of downtown to the other on a very frequent basis, and they actually help with some of those downtown events. I imagine that if they ever did close down the mall to the shuttles (which I don't remember them ever doing in the four years I lived there, but that doesn't mean they never have), they'd have other people bitching that the shuttles weren't running. They were well used and I imagine still are.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

^ Cool didn't know that. Is the mall open to all vehicles or just the buses?

Those things were packed like sardine cans that night.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCNorthlander wrote:^ Cool didn't know that. Is the mall open to all vehicles or just the buses?

Those things were packed like sardine cans that night.
Just buses and they are articulated low floors that run about 1 minute apart.

The 16th Mall line carries more people in a day than the entire KCATA does. That is a fact.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

sounds like much of this debate is being ironed out. diamond bus only lanes will still be allowed up and down Walnut during rush, rest of the time they will be open for on street parking. Not sure if these streets will go back to 2 way or not. KC Star editorial today says most big issues have been resolved.

MAX bus stop moves across the street on the 13th & Main stop.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

"There WILL be Bus service in KC Live"
Both the city and the KCATA have gone to bat to ensure bus service in the forthcoming KC Live District in downtown Kansas City.
In an agressive response to plans by the Cordish Company to limit bus traffic to the perimeter of the district, city and ATA negotiators have been holding talks with the developer. At this writing the talks were still in progress, but ATA Senior Director Dick Jarrold reports Cordish has agreed tp withdraw their request to exclude transit on Main and Walnut Streets. There will be a stop at the sports arena at 13th and Grand and the east-west MAX/BRT service on 13th Street will have a dedicated loading zone on the northeast corner of 13th Street. The loading zone was a compromise to the ATA-dedicated transit lane.
As the design of the sports arena becomes clear, the specifics of the bus stop at the entrance will be resolved.
Meanwhile, the ATA continues plans to introduce MAX/BRT service on Main Street in July of this year, and on 13th Street in 2006.

Wendall Anschutz
RTA Board Member