Cordish: "Keep the buses out"

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

There is an article in tomorrow's KC Biz journal talking about Cordish wanting no buses running inside the 7 block district. In specific the article talks about how the new Main and Walnut would have 3 lanes, with one lane reserved for buses during peak hours (south on main in pm, north on walnut in am)

The article doesn't specifically state it but I believe Cordish doesn't want any buses running down any street in the development.

They are also talking about moving one of the Max stops from the NE corner of 13th & Main to the NW corner of 13th & Main. This doesn't seem like a huge deal.

The reason stated for no buses is the future tenants are asking for it. comments on this? I actually don't see it as a huge deal. Keep buses off of Main from 13th to Truman Rd. and off of Walnut between 13th & Truman. Not a huge deal
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Here is a link to the ATA which shows which buses are now rerouted....this may remain permanent or a whole mess of changes made soon.

http://www.kcata.org/_kcatadata/What%27 ... eroute.htm

One comment made by the ATA is how they needed to get their buses to the 10th & Main transit center.

My guess is they will allow buses on Main but there won't be bus only lanes in the district and probably not even bus stops within those 2 blocks.

yo mama
Pad site
Pad site

Post by yo mama »

I don't know why tenants would care if there are buses in the development. Maybe because it disrupts the pedestrian environment or something. Well it is a fine sacrafice as long as it brings good tenants.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

sorry, should have stated that in my first post.

Cordish is stating that they need these lanes for on street parking, hence no room for bus specific lanes during certain times of the day.

The article doesn't specifically say they don't want buses anywhere in the development, it's written pretty vaguly....reading it again it only talks specifically about Main and Walnut and using the 'bus only' lanes for on street parking...something the tenants are requesting.

Sorry, not explaining it very well.

Whatever happens sounds like it needs to happen pretty quickly.....the city wanted curb lines set by the end of the year to not delay any projects. Sounds like a small delay in curb lines won't hurt the overall progress.

Sounds like a simple problem that will be worked out if everybody just sits down and does it.

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

At first I thought, WTF? But the streets will be narrow with on-street parking. They can run the perimeter of the district. Most run on Grand anyway.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah that was my thoughts as well. No biggie but just one of the small details that needs worked out.

BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

Given the buses spew out toxic clouds of black smoke, I say keep them out as well. In fact, there is no problem at all with the buses running the perimeter of the Power and Light District anyway. Buses should be kept to the major 4-6 lane thoroughfares just due to their size. I live right at 48th and Jefferson and routinely watch buses struggle to make the turn down the two-lane 48th Street with parking on both sides. Good idea by Cordish...
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

1. it obviously destroys the pedestrian environment they're trying to build

2. they're very loud & obnoxious.

3. they tend to be carrying the poorest of the city. Not what Cordish wants around the development.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I don't see how it kills the pedestrian environment?

KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

How would it hurt the enviroment for pedestrians?!? :wink:
yo mama
Pad site
Pad site

Post by yo mama »

How would it hurt the enviroment for pedestrians?!?
It's just that no one wants to be shopping while there are big huge machines driving around and causing a nousance. It is just like letting buses drive IN the Plaza. I'm glad they arent letting buses in.
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

cordish

Post by macnw »

Would it be different if we were talking about light rail instead of busses?
Conflicts with light rail vehicles far supercede that of busses. Aren't busses just part of the downtown environment? That statement about the bus being for poor people is way off base. That's exactly the type of message we don't want to give. The bus is and should be used by everyone. It is not an issue with money. The issue becomes do you care about the environment, lifestyle, waste of tax money. Everyone should be able to go to KC Live. That's what makes it urban!!!! Do we want another Plaza downtown? People speak of the Plaza as being a fabricated environment, downtown is about as real as it gets(homeless/poor/destitute).
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

I ride the bus and I exceed the median income in KC. I'll probably be using the bus or my bike almost exclusively to go to P&L.

They let busses in the Plaza. The 39 and 51 run through and a few other routes touch it. I like traffic in the Plaza because it feels big city. It moves incredibly slow and is mixed with pedestrians and busses. I go there to play bicycle messenger.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I go there to play bicycle messenger.
It's great fun, isn't it? :wink:

I agree that keeping busses out isn't a huge deal as long as there is a stop right on the outskirts of the district, but I would prefer to see them allowed thru P&L, if only to further encourage their use, bring attention to them, and give P&L the feel of a living, breathing city center.
are we spinning free?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I assume they are just talking about the BRT buses due to them needing dedicated lanes at times? It does not make a lot of sense to keep all buses out that area if they just creeping along in general traffic. Like mentioned before, buses contribute to the urbanity of an area and they are no worse than suburban SUVs clogging up driving lanes as they tend to park and stand where ever they want (see Plaza Cinemark).
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

It's just that no one wants to be shopping while there are big huge machines driving around and causing a nousance.
Yeah, I hate SUVs too. They shouldn't be allowed in P&L or the plaza...
It is just like letting buses drive IN the Plaza.
Last time I checked, they did allow buses in the plaza. I know there is a stop at 47th & Broadway (?), roughly right in front of Steve's Shoes & Abercrombie.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

grid....there issue seems to be dedicated bus lanes down main and walnut even if they are only at certain times. They want that lane for on street parking.

Although they may also want buses not running on 14th main or walnut in the district...all other roads are the edges of the district.

carfreekc
New York Life
New York Life

Post by carfreekc »

yo mama wrote:
How would it hurt the enviroment for pedestrians?!?
It's just that no one wants to be shopping while there are big huge machines driving around and causing a nousance. It is just like letting buses drive IN the Plaza. I'm glad they arent letting buses in.
Yeah, NO ONE shops or eats along the 16th Street Mall in downtown Denver, where buses run all day one right after the other, or along Nicollet Mall in downtown Minneapolis. Fifth Avenue in New York? The buses scared off shoppers long ago. No one shops there. Or the Plaza here, for that matter.

Ingersoll1978
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

The businesses on Michigan Avenue didn't want new bus shelters built in front of them (they are very classy and are made with mostly glass). They protested until the city threatened to release the names of those businesses. This is a racist policy and shouldn't be an tolerated.
Check out what is happening in Des Moines!  www.absolutedsm.com
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Ingersoll1978 wrote:The businesses on Michigan Avenue didn't want new bus shelters built in front of them (they are very classy and are made with mostly glass). They protested until the city threatened to release the names of those businesses. This is a racist policy and shouldn't be an tolerated.
=D>