New Power and Light renderings

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

These renderings still have the old default arena rendering and show the proposed 13th Terrace. The latest plans axed 13th Terrace and put the NABC HQ and the college basketball museum on that block.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

went DT at about 6:00pm today and I really could imagine that sight through the old buildings and lots/construction... I smiled, hoping that someday I may own one of those condos :)
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

I found the above renderings on the Cordish website, and they were better quality. Plus, the second one is new.

Whole district

From arena roof

Along 14th(notice the Empire)

Along 14th again

KCDowntown
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Hopefully the final drafts of the architecture will reveal something more inspiring. As it is now, a lot of it looks like nothing more or better than a suburban lifestyle center.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Tosspot wrote:Hopefully the final drafts of the architecture will reveal something more inspiring. As it is now, a lot of it looks like nothing more or better than a suburban lifestyle center.
what additional would change that opinion? I mean it's going to be a mass developed ground up development....you usually only see these in the burbs, so I have a feeling many are going to get that feeling....not really a way to get away from it.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

KCPowercat wrote:
Tosspot wrote:Hopefully the final drafts of the architecture will reveal something more inspiring. As it is now, a lot of it looks like nothing more or better than a suburban lifestyle center.
what additional would change that opinion? I mean it's going to be a mass developed ground up development....you usually only see these in the burbs, so I have a feeling many are going to get that feeling....not really a way to get away from it.
I don't mean to bash and nitpick, I just believe many of those ground-level retail buildings should be higher than two stories, as befitting an urban, and supposedly "dense" neighborhood.

I like the proposals for the residential condos, but those lowrise buildings seem rather sterile-- an easy teardown in forty years-- and the last thing we want to see happen is demolition of parts of the P&L decades down the line.

I should also say that I have misgivings about the idea of dropping down a massive development out of the sky all at once-- which makes the sterility factor jump ten-fold. But again, I'll still take it, knowing that public investment begets private investment and the fact that it is the lynchpin in restoring downtown to glory.

I actually want to get my hands on one of those condos for myself.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

I just hope it's not Disney-esque like Zona Rosa with it's false second story windows & EIFS galore.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Please don't stop nitpicking.....I want the best district possible.....just trying to get your opinion on how they could avoid this because building up 7-9 blocks at once is hard to avoid that feeling......which I would like to avoid as well.

ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

ah man, I hate it when the sidewalks have those outcroppings (like in Quality Hill). Just leave the entire lane open to parking, it might not allow for that much decorative plantings and frou frou but it goes a long way towards giving an urban vibe.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

KCPowercat wrote:
get some graffiti artists to come in and start putting up tags ASAP, lol.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

those "outcroppings" (I assume you mean the ones on the edge of the blocks) are big in streetscaping now....look at the library district. Also keeps people from parking too far up.

Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

KCPowercat wrote:those "outcroppings" (I assume you mean the ones on the edge of the blocks) are big in streetscaping now....look at the library district. Also keeps people from parking too far up.

They have those outcroppings along 8th around the Red Dragon and SoHo lofts as well, though obviously a much older example.

Not to hijack the thread, but Warrensburg recently put those in as well along their "Main Street." Supposedly, beer and firetrucks wouldn't be able to turn the corner, so I heard anyway.

photoblog. 

KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

I hope by the time they break ground they will realize that the shops need to be more than 2 stories, but if not I'll manage. 8)
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

The architectural design will be similar in style to what has gone up in the River Market in the last 5 years-- Cordish has publicly said this. This style is somewhat urban looking, but also a bit plastic. I have no problem with this style of design because it is economic, it accomodates the many types of restaurants and shops that will locate there and it steers the design away from creating even tackier faux old buildings.

No problem with going only 2 stories in the district. It is an entertainment/restaurant district. What exactly do you want more floors for? There will be multiple condo/apartment towers going up around the district. What business or resident would want space above a bar district?

Again, Zona Rosa's upper floors are usable offices, retail, and residential. They are not fake windows or whatever.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

KCPowercat wrote:Please don't stop nitpicking.....I want the best district possible.....just trying to get your opinion on how they could avoid this because building up 7-9 blocks at once is hard to avoid that feeling......which I would like to avoid as well.
Well, it could have easily been avoided by integrating some of the exisiting buildings into the district, but I that is a lost cause at this point.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Again, Zona Rosa's upper floors are usable offices, retail, and residential. They are not fake windows or whatever.
Yes, most of them are.
There are a few exceptions, like the taller element w/ residential, & the new Marshall's building, but for the most part, the "second story" is fake. Real windows, sure, but w/ plywood backing painted black, and lit w/ florescent lights at the sill, hidden from view. If the plywood wasn't there, you'd see the fireproofing coated roof deck, steel joists, and a bunch of tie wires holding the suspended ceiling below.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Critical_Mass wrote:
Yes, most of them are.
There are a few exceptions, like the taller element w/ residential, & the new Marshall's building, but for the most part, the "second story" is fake. Real windows, sure, but w/ plywood backing painted black, and lit w/ florescent lights at the sill, hidden from view. If the plywood wasn't there, you'd see the fireproofing coated roof deck, steel joists, and a bunch of tie wires holding the suspended ceiling below.
What building are you talking about? There is the Marshall's building, the residential/DSW block, and then the block with Abercrombie that has office space above it. These are the only multi-level blocks I believe.
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Long »

A lot of the original buildings (those recently torn down and those torn down 20-30 years ago) in the P&L district were only 2-3 floors weren't they?

I like the renderings that show 2-3 story buildings in the district itself, with the residential towers in the background. It gives you a layered effect, a foreground and a background.

Not every downtown building has to be 5-10 floors. It will be ok.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

Eventually they will be more than 5 floors long...

The ONLY case 2-4 story buildings should be allowed is when replacing vast areas of Parking Lots. A taller/bigger building should never be replaced by a smaller building.
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

One nice thing about the short building heights is with few obstructions, the entire downtown skyline can be taken in at street level. That will provide an unmatched atmosphere to people in the district.
A fool and your money are soon united.