New hotel next to Sprint Center

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

The CVB seems to really be lacking lately. No wonder places like Clay County are starting to rebel against them. I think they got lazy with the Big 12 and others coming back every year, and weren't used hustling for businesess. But they just had some management shake-up, so maybe there will be some improvement soon.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah the new president/whatever seems to be much more with it....the ballroom will help too.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
kcteen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kcteen »

and the 50 cent portion of the rental car tax which will be used to promote the city will probably go to the cvb. that will help
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCPowercat wrote:3 new hotels in a day of 50% occupancy for downtown hotels? I'm not sure I like this idea. I like one going close to the arena but one east of bartle confuses me....
I agree...why build another hotel right next to the President, Doubletree, Marriott, and former Holiday Inn? The next downtown hotel should be a major hotel like the Le Meridien or the Four Seasons right next to the Sprint Center.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

I think downtown needs another 700+ rooms hotel like the Hyatt and Marriot.
Have a hotel replace the lot north of the arena and the former library's parking lot. And make it big enough to have at least 500-600 rooms.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

Ok, tapered how? Like this:
http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=119561
Or this type of tapered:
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Just forget I said anything Devin. A new hotel or two will go up Downtown, but I think it's several years off.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Where is Andi Udris bitching that there is no market for new hotels? LOL.

I find it hard to believe that the city is bargaining away the future Bartle Hall exhibit space at 14th and Baltimore for a new hotel. It would be much cheaper for the city to build over that section of I-670, than it would to build over the larger I-60/I-35 interchange west of Bartle. Even after the entertainment district and the arena are built, there will be two parcels of land remaining nearby for future hotel development (across Oak next to the Longlines Building, and the south end of the Law Building block). And there has been talk of putting another hotel on the SW corner of 12th and Broadway next to Kansas City Southern's headquarters (which I also believe to be just big talk).

Before there is talk of building any new hotels, I think first we should wait and see that the President is successful, and after that, then decide if Citi-Center is renovated into a hotel again, or loft housing. Then let's talk about Marriott finishing the renovation of the old Muehlebach's upper floors. Currently they sit empty and remain unused. It seems to me that if the old Muehlebach is to remain, those rooms will have to be used for as either hotel space, housing, or offices. Larry Bridges owns it, and we know how he likes to talk of tearing down buildings.

I love talk of new buildings just like anyone else, but I'd like to see the city reuse underutilized or vacant buildings first.
There is no fifth destination.
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

I recently was in Houston for the All-Star Game and stayed at the new Hilton Americas. It is a 24-story, 1,200 room hotel that is connected to the Toyota Center (arena) and the Brown Convention Center. It is also three blocks from Minute Maid Park. It is a well designed modern hotel with inviting glass lobby. I could just picture a hotel like it next to the Sprint Center. We don't have nearly the density of events to support this hotel and the other that we have downtown, but it is nice to dream!

By the way, Houston has invested a lot of money in their downtown in the last decade... sports venues, office towers, hotels, aquarium, entertainment district, light rail et cetera. They are just now getting any real number of lofts online. They also still have an immense amount of surface lots and architecture that is big and new, but not that pedestrian friendly. I think KC has a great deal of potential in our downtown because of the loft development, and the high quality inventory of old buildings that create some character.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

KCPowercat wrote:3 new hotels in a day of 50% occupancy for downtown hotels? I'm not sure I like this idea. I like one going close to the arena but one east of bartle confuses me....
For comparison's sake, Atlanta -- the metro, not just downtown -- is running 63% this year: http://www.ajc.com/news/content/busines ... otels.html.

It would be interesting to have downtown- and metro-occupancy stats for other cities, particularly the ones we compete with.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

trailerkid wrote:
I agree...why build another hotel right next to the President, Doubletree, Marriott, and former Holiday Inn? The next downtown hotel should be a major hotel like the Le Meridien or the Four Seasons right next to the Sprint Center.
i know this was an old posting but i do have to second the recommendation that kansas city needs a nice hotel like the four seasons or le meridien....it would be icing on the cake to position KC as a world class city
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

LCDSI wrote:
trailerkid wrote:
i know this was an old posting but i do have to second the recommendation that kansas city needs a nice hotel like the four seasons or le meridien....it would be icing on the cake to position KC as a world class city
Downtown needs a more exclusive hotel similar in scope to the Fairmont. For downtown to land a major upscale hotel sends a message that downtown is now a major center of commerce and tourism-- a sleeker, edgier northern bookend to the Plaza.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Yes, a sophisticated hotel like the W Hotels. They've become very popular.

http://www.starwood.com/whotels/index.html

I'd also prefer that they build smaller hotels than some gargantuan one. I don't mind that they are chain hotels. I just don't want to see some big hotel that sits empty and becomes a white elephant. That way if vacancy rates go up during bad times, you don't have a hotel shut down and then you've got a huge building that isn't productive.

Smaller hotels are better in the sense that if one or more of them close, they can be converted to something else, and it's easier to find tenants. Big buildings are harder to fill in bad real estate markets.

I'd also rather hold off on any new hotels downtown until the vacancy rates go down significantly; and the President and Phillips are successful; and Marriott is doing well enough to renovate the upper floors of the old Muehlebach, so that they aren't sitting empty. I'd also like to see the old Citi-Center Hotel renovated and reopened, or at least converted into apartments. It's a cool old building, and I don't want to see it demolished.
There is no fifth destination.