new cafe tandoor

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Re: new cafe tandoor

Post by bahua »

To be fair, I've only been there twice, and both times may have been off-days or something. I just found the food to be very light on flavor, and to have too much of an emphasis on including meat in as many dishes as possible.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

bahua wrote: To be fair, I've only been there twice, and both times may have been off-days or something. I just found the food to be very light on flavor, and to have too much of an emphasis on including meat in as many dishes as possible.
KS has the most extensive and interesting vegetarian buffet options of any indian place i've been to in the metro.  you should try those.  meat is for squares!
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

I agree with chrizow on the merits of Korma Sutra, even vis a vis Indian food in other cities, Devon Ave, etc.  Really a top-notch experience, though I've only been once.  I thought service and food were both terrific.

This is probably not the best place for this, but here's a post I wrote about that meal for LTHForum (and still haven't gotten around to posting...maybe, now that I read it, because it's not particularly enlightening):

A few weeks ago, we had the pleasure to visit Korma Sutra in Westport.  My Indian baseline is nominal, but this was a really excellent meal, far superior to two other Indian restaurant meals in the area.

There were four adults, along with our kids, and I was pleased to handle the (over-)ordering duties.

We got a round of samosas…two veggie, two chicken, two lamb/beef.  Korma Sutra is not the first place in town I’ve been where the lamb/beef samosas were not listed on the menu.  This, I just don’t understand.  They were quite wonderful.  The veggie were good too.  Chicken samosas (what?) always disappoint me.  I tend to order them thinking the kids might like them, but I’m learning they always like the lamb/beef better too.

I might add, our meal started off with an amuse of a small vegetable pakora.  We’re not talking a particularly fancy place, here (though quite nice) but this was the first of a number of surprises.

For our meal, I went ahead and ordered five oversized dishes for the four of us:

Butter chicken
Lamb vindaloo
Saag paneer
Channa aloo
Lamb biryani

Nothing too surprising here, in terms of off-menu specialties, edible offal, or crazy ingredients, but everything was really, really good.  It had been a while for Indian, so maybe I was just satisfying a craving, but I liked this place a lot.

We had some plain naan, garlic naan, and  roti to accompany, which was all pretty good too.

At the end of our meal they brought us little bowls of rice pudding with the sweet donut hole-like things (whose name I can’t place right now), and followed that up with some mango kulfi.

Each dish above is about 10 bucks, and we had enough for two or three additional meals (for two) after we packed up all the leftover rice and goodies and took it home.  Really terrific food and terrific value.  I highly recommend this place, and I’m eager to try Ruchi, which is the other area Indian restaurant I hear touted most frequently.

(The other 2, by the way, are Swagat and Taj Palace.)
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Where is Cafe Tandoor?

Where is Swagat?

What is the name of the place on 39th that used to be Great India?

I'd have to say Korma Sutra is fantastic, and it must be good because all the Indian guys that work at Sprint eat there.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KCMax wrote: Where is Cafe Tandoor?

Where is Swagat?

What is the name of the place on 39th that used to be Great India?

I'd have to say Korma Sutra is fantastic, and it must be good because all the Indian guys that work at Sprint eat there.
1.  valentine & broadway
2.  zona rosa
3.  taj palace
4.  correct.
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

KCMax wrote:Where is Cafe Tandoor?
chrizow wrote: 1.  valentine & broadway
And more specifically, where Sidney's Diner ( & before that, Chubby's ) used to be.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

http://www.pitch.com/2007-10-18/dining/ ... y-revival/

Ferruzza gives this place a pretty glowing review.
bellastagiona
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by bellastagiona »

i saw that, and i have to question his indian/pak food critiquing.  i still say that i'll go back in a few months to see if cafe tandoor has improved, but i'm currently not moved by ferruzza's effusiveness. 
whatever you can do or dream you can, begin.  boldness has genius, power and magic in it.  begin it now.