new cafe tandoor

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
bellastagiona
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

new cafe tandoor

Post by bellastagiona »

so the boy and i went to new cafe tandoor last evening, on a "trying new things" lark.  i realize it's only been open for about a week, but it was SUCH a disappointment.  although the decor is gorgeous -- lots of beautiful carved-wood furniture and objets d' art -- the food was faaaaaaaaaaaaaar less appetizing than any other indian food i've ever had.  nowhere near the level of korma sutra, taj mahal, or even that place on w. 39 that used to be "great india" (which was better when it was great india). 

since i was cold while we were waiting to order, i ordered some chai.  the waitress didn't even know what that was.  she was like, "...is that...soup?"  after i kindly educated her a little, some time later she came back with the teacup setup and a teapot that was half-full (!) of chai.  initially overjoyed (i'm a chai addict), i was terribly disappointed by the watery, non-tasty stuff.  it totally reminded me of the stuff one gets when one brews ready-made teabags of chai spices and then throws in a splash of milk -- thoroughly unsatisfying, and quite a turnoff to begin the meal with.  needless to say, the cup and pot sat untouched for the rest of the meal.  the boy had a really watered-down version of chicken korma.  he describes it as "chicking floating in watery tomato soup."  i had the veggie samosas and, since they were out of the lentil soup, the dal makhani (also lentils).  the samosas were all right, though they were very fried.  not very spicy (flavor-wise) at all, though they were the tastiest thing i ate.  the dal makhani seriously tasted like canned lentil soup.  neither of the entrees were served with rice, so we had to mop everything up with our naan (the boy ordered some cheese nan, which was FAR better than the plain stuff, though still not very flavorful).  the two entrees were served atop these little frames containing tealights, and didn't balance very well (my dal makhani spilled once, and threatened to do it again several more times). 

in addition to the poor-quality food, i found the service somewhat lacking.  we were seated in the back room, the only other people apart from a group of ramadan-celebrating muslims (men at the large center table, women at a smaller corner one).  they didn't get their food until we were nearly finished, and i have to wonder if we were rather neglected because we were in the same back room with people who couldn't even drink water until the feasting began.  the waitresses (two) served drinks by handing the glass to the patron, their fingers wrapped all around the rim (ugh!).  our waitress didn't bother cleaning up the mess the spilled dal makhani made, and only refilled our water glasses once.  she was constantly apologizing for things, including her lack of menu knowledge, instead of just focusing on doing her job well (something i learned as a waitress is that most patrons don't really want to hear your life story; they just want to be served and to eat in peace). 

all in all, we found pretty much everything wanting but the decor, and felt horrible when the owner (who was doubling as the host and chef) came and asked if everything was all right, if there were any things which they could improve upon, etc.  since i hardly knew where to begin, i just smiled and assured him that everything was lovely.  (if i'd had more guts, i'd have asked why his food was so very...different...from the other area indian restaurants, and inquired more about his staff choices, etc., but i didn't, so i missed what could have been a good learning opportunity.)

has anyone else dined there?  what was your experience?  would you go again?
whatever you can do or dream you can, begin.  boldness has genius, power and magic in it.  begin it now.
redfishblue
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Re: new cafe tandoor

Post by redfishblue »

I think it's kinda crappy that you told the owner that everything was great and then came online to trash his newly-opened restaurant....it might have been a bit uncomfortable but surely you could have given him a few "safe" areas for improvement, especially if you were going to post such a negative review.  JMO.
bellastagiona
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by bellastagiona »

note in my post how i admitted that if i'd been braver i'd have brought some points and queries to the owner's attention, but, since i was rather unsure how to approach the subject, i fell back to just-be-polite behavior.  i'm not "trashing" the restaurant; i'm giving my subjective review of my experience there.  i will be going back, in time, to see how/if they've progressed, and will compare notes and be better prepared to discuss my experience with the owner at that time, if he asks my opinion.  i must say, however, that after being absolutely blown away by the service, food presentation, and food quality at the other three places i mentioned, that made last night's experience seem even more woefully lacking.  and it's my right to say so, and it's my right to ask others to share their experiences as well. 
whatever you can do or dream you can, begin.  boldness has genius, power and magic in it.  begin it now.
riebschlager
New York Life
New York Life

Post by riebschlager »

yeah you suck at restaurants!
bellastagiona
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by bellastagiona »

that's it -- it's the futon for you, for a week!  =;

:lol:
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

You two are amusing. I'm inviting myself over for dinner.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
bellastagiona
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by bellastagiona »

riebschlager wrote: your use of emoticons is immature and uninspired!

nerd.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

In contrast, I had lunch there on what I believe was the day after they opened and found it to be, if not exceptional, at least decent. The sweet lassis were tasty, and everything I tried on the buffet was at least average. Some things were notably different, their pakoras were unlike others I've had, but they were not bad. It wasn't great (I tend to prefer Taj Palace, although I admit that's 95% because "Harry" is such an overwhelmingly nice guy rather than their food) but I look forward to going back after they have a chance to get some things straightened out.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
bellastagiona
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by bellastagiona »

mean wrote: In contrast, I had lunch there on what I believe was the day after they opened and found it to be, if not exceptional, at least decent. The sweet lassis were tasty, and everything I tried on the buffet was at least average. Some things were notably different, their pakoras were unlike others I've had, but they were not bad. It wasn't great (I tend to prefer Taj Palace, although I admit that's 95% because "Harry" is such an overwhelmingly nice guy rather than their food) but I look forward to going back after they have a chance to get some things straightened out.
taj palace!  that's the place that used to be great india, no?  i'm always forgetting their new name.  for them i will say that although i prefer the food at korma sutra and taj mahal, their service couldn't be better, kinder, more attentive.  :) 

perhaps i need to try cafe tandoor's buffet, but i still think i'll wait awhile before i go back.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

there is no reason to go to any indian restaurant other than korma sutra. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

wooooooooooo!
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

chrizow wrote: there is no reason to go to any indian restaurant other than korma sutra. 
Happy ten thousandth post.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

bellastagiona wrote: taj palace!  that's the place that used to be great india, no?  i'm always forgetting their new name.  for them i will say that although i prefer the food at korma sutra and taj mahal, their service couldn't be better, kinder, more attentive.  :) 
Yeah, that's the place. They have a couple excellent dishes, but in general I agree that Korma Sutra has them beat in the food department (I have not been to Taj Mahal). However, I keep going back to Taj Palace because Harry is so darn nice! At KS I usually get fairly indifferent (though never bad) service, whereas Harry remembers everyone and fawns over each customer like they are his best friend. I know it's probably just because he's a smart businessman and it isn't anything personal, but for some reason his overbearing, almost obnoxious charm works on me.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
bellastagiona
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by bellastagiona »

mean wrote: Yeah, that's the place. They have a couple excellent dishes, but in general I agree that Korma Sutra has them beat in the food department (I have not been to Taj Mahal). However, I keep going back to Taj Palace because Harry is so darn nice! At KS I usually get fairly indifferent (though never bad) service, whereas Harry remembers everyone and fawns over each customer like they are his best friend. I know it's probably just because he's a smart businessman and it isn't anything personal, but for some reason his overbearing, almost obnoxious charm works on me.
i hear ya about the servers at KS -- although they're always the height of promptness and efficiency, they're hardly personable (and i don't really think they speak much, if any, english; perhaps they're more engaging in their own linguistic environment?).  but, really, most of the time i just want to be quietly served so i can enjoy my meal and company, you know?  :) 

(the servers are much more personable at taj mahal, btw.  you should try the one in waldo out; you'd like it!  [i can't speak to their other branches as i haven't been to them.])
markf
New York Life
New York Life

Post by markf »

mean wrote: Harry remembers everyone and fawns over each customer like they are his best friend. I know it's probably just because he's a smart businessman and it isn't anything personal, but for some reason his overbearing, almost obnoxious charm works on me.
Works on me too!  I love the food there myself.  Their butter chicken is ridiculously good and there's a veggie dish with chick peas that also causes me to throw self-control out the window and down the whole thing.  Not only does Harry fawn over you but he checks on your satisfaction with the food at least once, usually twice.
"Here!" shall of course be short for "Here I am, rock you like a hurricane."
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

markf wrote: Works on me too!  I love the food there myself.  Their butter chicken is ridiculously good and there's a veggie dish with chick peas that also causes me to throw self-control out the window and down the whole thing.  Not only does Harry fawn over you but he checks on your satisfaction with the food at least once, usually twice.
Seriously! I go there for lunch with a group of 3-5 people on a regular basis, and we are asked at least three or four times if everything is OK. How's the food today? Everything tasting good today? And they have no problem giving us loads of extra garlic naan to take back to work wrapped in aluminum foil. Do you need more naan? Do you need more mango lassi? Do you need more water? Did you try the rice pudding?

Now I'm hungry for Indian food...
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Is this the restaurant that went into the former Sidney's Diner space?
There is no fifth destination.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

FangKC wrote: Is this the restaurant that went into the former Sidney's Diner space?
aye.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I love Indian food, but I have yet to be impressed in Kansas City. Even Korma Sutra is bland, boring and Midwestern, compared to most Indian places I've visited out side town. Maybe that means I'll like this place.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

bahua wrote: I love Indian food, but I have yet to be impressed in Kansas City. Even Korma Sutra is bland, boring and Midwestern, compared to most Indian places I've visited out side town. Maybe that means I'll like this place.
korma sutra is bland?  are you high?  heh.  i'm curious to try these other places you're talking about.  i think korma sutra is as tasty and non-bland as any indian food i have had in los angeles, chicago (including on Devon St), austin, minneapolis, or STL.
Last edited by chrizow on Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.