810 Zone on the Plaza

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: 810 Zone on the Plaza

Post by Slappy the Wang »

WorldTraveler wrote: Not. In the 2+ years since I have moved here it has become more and more popular as a social gathering place with my associates who live farther North, South, East, and West. I think you might be getting a little ahead of yourself there!
Retail's all about perception babe.  Fact's ain't no thang.
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Seems awefully close to the Leawood location.  I don't see both of these locations lasting long term.  Downtown and Leawood maybe, but not the plaza and Leawood.  Same thing with a village west location since village west is "primarily" a JoCo and or KS hangout.

If they wanted to truly enter a new market and expand (into MO), I think Downtown, Northland and East Jax are where they should have gone.
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Surely not because they aren't purple enough?
KK, Dave Stewart, and Len Dickey are K-staters... they also have Stan Weber on as an analyst that is a K-stater... but I believe that KK really tries almost to a fault to be biased torwards his alma mater.

Kansas State is a smaller school (in terms of attendance) than MU, or KU.  They are easily 2 hours away from the KC Metro in Manhattan, and don't get the type of publicity that MU or KU gets. 

K-State deserves the pub, and I commend KK for at least covering them and including them into the KC sports scence.  IMHO, I think KK gets crapped on too much for being a K-stater. 

During BTL, he does a great job of covering MU basketball/Football, as well as KU... There is plenty of interest in K-state, and he does a great job of covering them.

Many people try to push KK buttons a lot, but as a loyal WHB listener, I think he's a great host, and Soren Petro / KK in the afternoons certainly beats that crap called "radio" on 610 with Jim Rome and Marty Wall who is a total pen pusher for Entercom.  I like Neal Jones though.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Two KC Hopps venues in one neighborhood?  I wonder how that will work... 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

dangerboy wrote: Two KC Hopps venues in one neighborhood?  I wonder how that will work... 
I would think that the Faloon would stand to be the biggest looser in this - they kind of had a bit of a sports bar monopoly on the plaza. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

is George Brett's still open?  isn't it a sports bar?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

chrizow wrote: is George Brett's still open? 
on life support and waiting for someone to pull the plug by all accounts
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

danny clinksdale may be a KU alum, but he is no KU fan. he's KK's little parrot and spends plenty more time bashing KU than being a KU homer.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

skim82 wrote: but I believe that KK really tries almost to a fault to be biased torwards his alma mater.
I find it really odd that KU and MU fault KK for having a huge KSU bias.  I listen to KK and I hear a guy who tries so hard to be unbiased that he often ends up ragging on K-State when it isn't deserved. 

I commute to and from UMKC Law every day, and as such, I hear 810 in the morning with the Border Patrol and in the afternoon with Between the Lines.  There is absolutely no debate. . . Bob Fescoe is far and away the least objective and most biased sports journalist that I have ever read or listened to.  He is unbelievable.  Even a KU fan has to admit that he is overboard.  As far as KK goes, he has been hanging on MU's nuts all football season.  Now, he's jocking KU basketball.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with pumping these teams.  It just proves the point that he doesn't place K-State on some special stage.   

MU football:  Jack Harry rags on Pinkel for poor coaching and underachieving and Kietzman counters by saying that Pinkel is a great coach and he's given MU a 9-3 record this year.  Every day, it's the same thing.  Hell, KK got Jack Harry to admit that he would rather have Mangino than Pinkel.   

KU basketball:  Kietzman and Danny give more props to KU than KSU and MU.  Not that it isn't deserved. 

Yeah, the guy's a K-State fan, but give me some examples of when he lets his bias get in the way of objective journalism. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KC-wildcat wrote: Bob Fescoe is far and away the least objective and most biased sports journalist that I have ever read or listened to.  He is unbelievable.  Even a KU fan has to admit that he is overboard. 
He is overboard. But you are using the term "journalist" awfully loosely there.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
WorldTraveler
New York Life
New York Life

Post by WorldTraveler »

Slappy the Wang wrote: Retail's all about perception babe.  Fact's ain't no thang.
What?

I'm not sure what you are getting at, but I will amend your statement anyway:

"Retail is all about the perception of the individuals who make up a significant consuming portion of the target market for a store location; babe."

The premise of my statement was that people who would not normally spend their disposable income on the Plaza are now doing so religiously. I have no idea what facts you are talking about, but at least in the Plaza market I take the very "analytical" approach of going out and looking at what is happening. When every place I go to is packed with people on a Thursday, Friday, and Saturday evening I have to assume business is at least marginally profitable. Not to mention that since moving here almost three years ago the Plaza has become the de facto gathering place for young professionals; well at any rate I'm rambling, and that can be attributed to my total lack of comprehension of what you were pointing out in your post.

Babe.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

GRID wrote: Seems awefully close to the Leawood location.  I don't see both of these locations lasting long term.  Downtown and Leawood maybe, but not the plaza and Leawood.  Same thing with a village west location since village west is "primarily" a JoCo and or KS hangout.

If they wanted to truly enter a new market and expand (into MO), I think Downtown, Northland and East Jax are where they should have gone.
If Fiorrella's can find enough business to slip a plaza location in between their freighthouse and 95th street locations, than I am pretty confident that 810 can support both a Plaza and south leawood location. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

you didnt just compare jack stack to the 810 zone did you?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: you didnt just compare jack stack to the 810 zone did you?
Not as restaurants but in terms of retail situation.  Those three jack stack's are in a much closer cluster than the two 810 Zones will be.  Why can they get away with it - because those locations all draw heavy traffic.  Just because lots of Joco folks shop on the plaza doesn't mean that there wont be any hungry people left at 119th street, or vice versa. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

they aren't comparable at all....one is a generic below average sports bar, one has lines out the door on most nights. 

just seemed odd you would think "well if Jack Stack can do it, why can't 810".  Blew my mind.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Slappy the Wang »

WorldTraveler wrote: What?

I'm not sure what you are getting at, but I will amend your statement anyway:

"Retail is all about the perception of the individuals who make up a significant consuming portion of the target market for a store location; babe."

The premise of my statement was that people who would not normally spend their disposable income on the Plaza are now doing so religiously. I have no idea what facts you are talking about, but at least in the Plaza market I take the very "analytical" approach of going out and looking at what is happening. When every place I go to is packed with people on a Thursday, Friday, and Saturday evening I have to assume business is at least marginally profitable. Not to mention that since moving here almost three years ago the Plaza has become the de facto gathering place for young professionals; well at any rate I'm rambling, and that can be attributed to my total lack of comprehension of what you were pointing out in your post.

Babe.
I dig your vibe holmes, but the shiznit on the trizzac is lending itself to P&L being an ever escalating heap of tremendous enthusiasm, excitement and expectations from both retailers and consumers.  I agree with you...Kona, Capital Grille, MiCocina and others are still packin' em in high and tight (to quote fmr KS Governor Graves).  But many retail establishments are betting on the come that P&L is gonna be the bomb bay.
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: they aren't comparable at all....one is a generic below average sports bar, one has lines out the door on most nights. 

just seemed odd you would think "well if Jack Stack can do it, why can't 810".  Blew my mind.
Despite your own personal disdain for 810 and their restaurant, believe it or not the thing has been pretty successful in packing them in. 
WorldTraveler
New York Life
New York Life

Post by WorldTraveler »

Slappy the Wang wrote: I dig your vibe holmes, but the shiznit on the trizzac is lending itself to P&L being an ever escalating heap of tremendous enthusiasm, excitement and expectations from both retailers and consumers.  I agree with you...Kona, Capital Grille, MiCocina and others are still packin' em in high and tight (to quote fmr KS Governor Graves).  But many retail establishments are betting on the come that P&L is gonna be the bomb bay.
English man, English...

:lol:
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: If Fiorrella's can find enough business to slip a plaza location in between their freighthouse and 95th street locations, than I am pretty confident that 810 can support both a Plaza and south leawood location. 
I dunno... I'd bet there's a much bigger market for BBQ than a local ESPNzone knockoff concept. 
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

dangerboy wrote: I dunno... I'd bet there's a much bigger market for BBQ than a local ESPNzone knockoff concept. 
I don't think two locations is really pushing anything.  Maybe if this was location #4.