Moving downtown.... Need some help with tough decision....

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Re: Moving downtown.... Need some help with tough decision....

Post by QueSi2Opie »

I'm getting a divorce in April, leaving OP and moving to downtown KC.  :(

Anyway, I'm looking to rent, so I'm interested in the Cold Storage Lofts, The Professional Building, Walnut Tower Apartments, and Quality Hill.  Any recommendations?  I'm looking for a one bedroom between $450 and $650 a month.   
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

QueSi2Opie, that sucks, you seemed so happy back in the day with the wife.  I was wondering why you were on here more ;).

Don't know how much you make, but that makes a big difference.  Are you going to try to go after a market rate place or find something with reduced rent (on those same market rate places).  If so, cold storage comes to mind.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by QueSi2Opie »

GRID wrote: QueSi2Opie, that sucks, you seemed so happy back in the day with the wife.  I was wondering why you were on here more ;).
That wasn't my wife you seen me with during that First Friday we browsed your gallery.  :oops:

My income will be cut in half, so I really don't know yet.  I just don't want to move into a place with poor upkeep, slumlords, and a bunch of dirty or disrespectful neighbors in the same building.  I am definitely looking forward to moving downtown, riding the bus, walking to the restaurants and galleries, meeting cool & unique people, and so on.       

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

QueSi2Opie wrote: That wasn't my wife you seen me with during that First Friday we browsed your gallery.  :oops:

My income will be cut in half, so I really don't know yet.  I just don't want to move into a place with poor upkeep, slumlords, and a bunch of dirty or disrespectful neighbors in the same building.  I am definitely looking forward to moving downtown, riding the bus, walking to the restaurants and galleries, meeting cool & unique people, and so on.       
Ahh, I see.... :D
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by QueSi2Opie »

I just placed a deposit down at the Professional Building Lofts.  If everything goes okay with the application, I'll be moving in on March 12th.  I'll be on the 13th floor, fantastic skyline views facing One Kansas City Place, stainless steel appliances, carpet, washer/dryer, 835 sq.ft., etc.  There's a rooftop sundeck, a fitness center on the second floor, and a Jimmy John's and Bear Creek Coffee Shop on the first floor. I'm excited, but keeping my fingers crossed that things work out. I'll need to start asking questions soon about the best places to cut your hair, tanning, and all my metrosexual needs.

Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

QueSi2Opie wrote: I just placed a deposit down at the Professional Building Lofts.  If everything goes okay with the application, I'll be moving in on March 12th.  I'll be on the 13th floor, fantastic skyline views facing One Kansas City Place, stainless steel appliances, carpet, washer/dryer, 835 sq.ft., etc.  There's a rooftop sundeck, a fitness center on the second floor, and a Jimmy John's and Bear Creek Coffee Shop on the first floor. I'm excited, but keeping my fingers crossed that things work out. I'll need to start asking questions soon about the best places to cut your hair, tanning, and all my metrosexual needs.
You may also need to change your name to QueSi2Opie2QueSi
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Whoah! Quesi2Opie moving to KC! Now I've seen everything.
KC ROO
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC ROO »

Good luck at the Professional Building, I am very interested in their as well, you can't beat the location and price.
"Make no small plans: they have no magic to stir men's blood,"  Daniel Burnham.
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

I've been looking at the Professional Bldg lately, too - since I work like, a half block from it now. I can't believe how cheap the rent is...if we ever decide to move from Midtown, that 's the first place I'm lookin' into.
hawkgolfer
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by hawkgolfer »

Do you have to make under 30K to live in this place or is that just to qualify for the reduced rent?  I was just curious because this place seems awesome and very cheap.  Hard to believe!
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

Are you still Brown?
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

hawkgolfer wrote: Do you have to make under 30K to live in this place or is that just to qualify for the reduced rent?  I was just curious because this place seems awesome and very cheap.  Hard to believe!
I believe the entire building is subject to the restrictions.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by QueSi2Opie »

Yeah, you actually have to make under $28,500.  I sit right at 28k because I've been a "part-time" dispatch supervisor at UPS for the past 6 years.  I'll probably become full-time before August, so I'll have to find a new place in March '08 because I'll be pulling 60k easily.  I had been soaking up my wife's good income for several years so I could continue to do volunteer work for Operation Wildlife. Oh well, it'll be time to use my college education soon. :-k

The Professional Building is great for artists, students, and the people who would work at the shops & restaurants in the P&L District. I'll pay $670 a month for a one-bedroom plus $60 to park, $10 for water.  To be honest, I was more impressed with the living space at PBLofts than I was with the Library Lofts, which are nearly $1000 a month for the same thing.

Speaking of the Library Lofts, they are working on an affordable (income guidelines) building just west of the KC Library parking garage.  The units looked fantastic for the price!  Cold Storage Lofts look great too, and you can get a 2-bedroom for $650 a month plus free surface parking.  So there's lots of wonderful options out there for us poor bastards. 

hawkgolfer
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by hawkgolfer »

QueSi2Opie wrote: Yeah, you actually have to make under $28,500.  I sit right at 28k because I've been a "part-time" dispatch supervisor at UPS for the past 6 years.  I'll probably become full-time before August, so I'll have to find a new place in March '08 because I'll be pulling 60k easily.  I had been soaking up my wife's good income for several years so I could continue to do volunteer work for Operation Wildlife. Oh well, it'll be time to use my college education soon. :-k

The Professional Building is great for artists, students, and the people who would work at the shops & restaurants in the P&L District. I'll pay $670 a month for a one-bedroom plus $60 to park, $10 for water.  To be honest, I was more impressed with the living space at PBLofts than I was with the Library Lofts, which are nearly $1000 a month for the same thing.

Speaking of the Library Lofts, they are working on an affordable (income guidelines) building just west of the KC Library parking garage.  The units looked fantastic for the price!  Cold Storage Lofts look great too, and you can get a 2-bedroom for $650 a month plus free surface parking.  So there's lots of wonderful options out there for us poor bastards. 

Sounds like you got it really tough
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by eliphar17 »

QueSi2Opie wrote: Yeah, you actually have to make under $28,500.  I sit right at 28k because I've been a "part-time" dispatch supervisor at UPS for the past 6 years.  I'll probably become full-time before August, so I'll have to find a new place in March '08 because I'll be pulling 60k easily.     
I thought I saw it mentioned elsewhere on this board that you only have to qualify for the income restriction once (when you move in).
KansasCityChiefs
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KansasCityChiefs »

I checked out The Professional building earlier, it's a great place for the price. Good luck!
Kansas City, Bleeding red since 1963.
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

eliphar17 wrote: I thought I saw it mentioned elsewhere on this board that you only have to qualify for the income restriction once (when you move in).
If they're like the tax credit apartment we've got here at The Ellison, that's basically true.  After the first year the income restriction level increases so much that you'd have to have a HUGE pay raise for things to get screwed up.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by QueSi2Opie »

If I get in, I'll be sure to invite some of my favorite forumers over for a summer beerfest.  Or maybe a starting up point a couple of hours before the grand opening of the P&L District?  After all, I'll have to find a few new urbanite friends and associates since I'll be partially departing those JoCo snobdroids that keep telling me to "stay out in (biege & stuccoland) instead of moving to the ghetto."

If I wasn't so preoccupied with personal tragedy I'd know the answer to this, but is there also a Second Friday in Waldo and a Third Friday in the Loop? Something at the Nelson? If I'm living in the city, I'll have to get out and hit the social and arts scene, meet people, possibly date, etc. No more suburban depression, which I've experienced first hand. It especially didn't help that I experienced another taste of urban living this summer while staying with a friend on the Upper East Side of Manhattan.         

chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

There are a few 3rd Friday events, I believe.  I think Columbus Park sometimes has one.  There is one centered around the Bank Gallery which is about like First Friday was 5+ years ago, and I think W. 39th sometimes has a 3rd Friday.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by QueSi2Opie »

I went in to sign my lease this Friday and they accidently rented out my West view loft (facing Grand) to another person and mistakenly put me down for the East view. :shock: To make up for this error, they went ahead and put me in a unit on the 16th floor (top floor) facing West again for the same price. :D You can't beat that!

Anyway, I start moving at 10am today...it's currently 2:20am and I'm so excited that I cannot sleep! I'm a social person, so you'll definitely see me out and about on the weekends. Plus I want to check out some places I've never been to before (Drum Room, Zoo Bar, 13th Street Bar, etc.). I'm also gonna consider joining the wine club at Cellar Rat.