NE Corner of 14th & Wyandotte (300 unit apartment)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: NE Corner of 14th & Wyandotte (300 unit apartment)

Post by Cratedigger »

beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I feel like no one is giving the Power and Light building any credit. That lady will shine no matter who is standing next to her.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^True but this small change would give P&L a little more breathing room allowing P&L to be its own building. Agree with others though after more consideration... if a cap is used, should be more subtle.
Last edited by earthling on Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

This is the way.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

shinatoo wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:17 pm Image

This is the way.
Plz elaborate.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

smh wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:20 pm

This is the way.
Plz elaborate.
viewtopic.php?t=7497
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Would really like something dense to be built tbh. The proposal is great with all the density, but agree it would be nice to have a little more setbacks going up, but not something I would think would be a deal breaker.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

shinatoo wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:25 pm
smh wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:20 pm

This is the way.
Plz elaborate.
viewtopic.php?t=7497
Man...pre 2008 was wild. Note the discussion in that thread too about retail bays for the P&L building. Alas.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

This proposal is the exact same height as the Ron Jury hotel tower proposal 14 years ago.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

alejandro46 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:56 pm Would really like something dense to be built tbh. The proposal is great with all the density, but agree it would be nice to have a little more setbacks going up, but not something I would think would be a deal breaker.
Here's how to accomplish some separation from P&L while actually adding more density. The units cut out ((south face) against P&L wall can be put over on Wyandotte gap with even taller section (west face). The tallest part would be even more separated from P&L peak and you can get more units. Putting a cap at this location would be even more separated than what has been discussed with previous posts.

My mods based on various kcrag input... left side is south face, right side is west face.

Original drawing...
Last edited by earthling on Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

I can’t blame them for not wanting to put as many units facing the ugly convention center
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^If the hotel rooms were mostly along West face it wouldn't be an issue. And along Wyandotte in my mod is taller and has different views (North and East). It should offset near equally. And think of the convention view as the new upgraded Barney Allis view as well as the Pylons and whatever goes W of PAC.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I agree the initial design is a bit striking and the boxy appearance is hard to imagine once completed. Very valid concerns on the design and regards to the P&L building nextdoor. That building is an art-deco master pieces and one of a very few art deco sky scrapers West of the Mississippi. Having concerns about not wanting to obscure an cultural & city gem is fine with me. I like the different exchange of ideas on options maybe and hoping the developers are doing the same. I am very much in favor of development at this spot and very excited for it to get built.

However, I have fears this one will not get built, like some of the other bigger projects planned within the last 5 years that have gone *poof*. I hope I am wrong but I'm not getting a lot of "fire" vibes with this smoke.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Downtown residential has been building out fine. The further away you go from downtown (within urban core) the less likely it is to get built.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

earthling wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:16 pm ^True but this small change would give P&L a little more breathing room allowing P&L to be its own building. Agree with others though after more consideration... if a cap is used, should be more subtle.
This is the way. Even stair-step down is fine. Give P&L some breathing room.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

earthling wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:59 pm
grecobs wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:05 am Y’all honestly sound like a bunch of NIMBYs….! This is a massive development that would add hundreds of housing units on a decrepit surface lot (if you can even call it that). Sure it would impede I’m the beautiful P&L building, but that’s progress.

I live in New York and have watched the Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building slowly cedé into the background thanks to all the new midtown supertalls (1 Vanderbilt, 432 Park, One57, Bank of America Tower, etc.).
As mentioned no one here appears to oppose the project, just making suggestions for design changes to consider P&L more carefully.

In NYC if Empire State or Chrysler building had a comparable blocky tall building proposed that butted up nearly to the tops of those classic buildings I'd think there'd be significant uproar.
Actually the Chrysler building will soon be overshadowed by the new Commodore tower rising adjacent Grand Central. The new building is way taller than the Chrysler and will block it from views to the West. This along with One Vanderbuilt really overwhelms Grand Central. I think it's kinda sad and I'm sure others in NYC have cried out...but it's still happening. It would be worse if it was the exact same height as the Chrysler (and as mundane as our proposal).

You will never get this iconic view again:

moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Are they going to tear down the ugly Hyatt(a once noble old building that Trump covered in gold glass)? Jackie Kennedy Onassis must be rolling in her grave over Grand Centrals new neighbors.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

moderne wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:04 am Are they going to tear down the ugly Hyatt(a once noble old building that Trump covered in gold glass)? Jackie Kennedy Onassis must be rolling in her grave over Grand Centrals new neighbors.
Yes, it's going to be demolished to make way for the new tower.

I have to say, I do love the design for the new tower. I just wish it wasn't right across the street from the Chrysler.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Midtownkid wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:00 am
earthling wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:59 pm
grecobs wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:05 am Y’all honestly sound like a bunch of NIMBYs….! This is a massive development that would add hundreds of housing units on a decrepit surface lot (if you can even call it that). Sure it would impede I’m the beautiful P&L building, but that’s progress.

I live in New York and have watched the Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building slowly cedé into the background thanks to all the new midtown supertalls (1 Vanderbilt, 432 Park, One57, Bank of America Tower, etc.).
As mentioned no one here appears to oppose the project, just making suggestions for design changes to consider P&L more carefully.

In NYC if Empire State or Chrysler building had a comparable blocky tall building proposed that butted up nearly to the tops of those classic buildings I'd think there'd be significant uproar.
Actually the Chrysler building will soon be overshadowed by the new Commodore tower rising adjacent Grand Central. The new building is way taller than the Chrysler and will block it from views to the West. This along with One Vanderbuilt really overwhelms Grand Central. I think it's kinda sad and I'm sure others in NYC have cried out...but it's still happening.
The discussion on P&L impact isn't other taller buildings a block or so away, which is inevitable some day. It's a new blocky building butted up against P&L to near same height essentially fused into it, altering the character of the building itself. If that happened to Empire St building NYC would widely be in an uproar.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Yeah I got ya. I am against the current proposal FYI. The mass is too hulking and too close to the tower. I like some of the ideas people has photoshopped to fix it. I think it needs to step back a little on the south facade as it rises as well (just like the P&L does).