OFFICIAL: Tesla building

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

OFFICIAL: Tesla building

Post by KCPowercat »

Today's business journal has a story about a proposal from Gaylord investors (who own the P&L building) to build a 15 story structure to west of the P&L building.  This building won't start until an anchor tenant is found.

The interesting thing about this proposal is the roof.  The proposal decribes the roof as going through 3 phases.  First phase would steam up like a storm cloud.  The 2nd phase would use tesla coils powered through solar panels and lightening would actually strke at times in the night.  The 3rd phase would glow gold.

Sounds very cool and the renderings look cool as well. 

As far as tenants, nobody has really been targeted, the article stats.
Last edited by KCPowercat on Fri May 27, 2005 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
scooterj
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL: Telsa building

Post by scooterj »

Do you mean west of the P&L?
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Is there a link to this story anywhere online?
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Gayload?  :lol:

this project sounds really cool though.  it sounds like the P+L district is already affecting surrounding areas.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

KCPowercat wrote: Sounds very cool and the renderings look cool as well.
Are these online?  I couldn't find anything about this on the star website.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

They story also says they want to start on a 18 story condo tower north of "Telsa" in the third quarter of this year.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

It just figures that now that there's something in the Business Journal that I want to read, our office's copy for some reason has not shown up.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Speak of the devil, it just showed up.   Wow.   Fascinating idea that could be really cool if done well.   They said it would be loud and would fire only at certain times of night like a clock tower.   I wonder what the guests at the Raddison will think, or the residents of the Clubhouse or the new condo tower?   Hopefully they don't plan on firing it frequently or all night.   Maybe just once a night, an event that gets people crowding outside nightly to get people waiting for the lightning show.

The exiting P&L would be rechristened as The Edison Building, the new building would be the Tesla Building.  No name for the building in the north lot was mentioned.

The article makes it seem unlikely to actually get built unless a big company steps up and wants the space, due to there being so much available leasable space already for half the cost.  They said they will only build if they get a commitment for 150,000 square feet.   But it says that no matter what happens, they expect to be building on that lot (it is the west lot) within 2-3 years even if what is built as a hotel or condo.  It says they've been approached several times by condo and hotel developers interested in that lot.

As for the north lot building, that pretty much seems a go.   An L-shaped 18 story residential building concealing an 11-story garage in the center of the block, with Cordish-run retail on the street level of the building.   The article says construction is expected to begin this fall... the only remaining hurdle being the purchase of the Old Republic building.
Last edited by scooterj on Fri May 27, 2005 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i say they go after the Lathrop + Gage law firm.  i read a while back that they were considering new digs for their firm since Blackwell and Shook built shiny new ugly boxes of their own.  i dont know if they are still looking though.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

That would explain why the newest renderings for P&L have additional retail spots shown on Baltimore and Wyandotte... more getting into the game.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

The Biz Journal is published on Friday, but the stories don't to online until Monday.  The only they posted before then are the daily breaking stories.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

someone scan that mofo so we out-of-towners can enjoy.  :)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

staubio wrote: That would explain why the newest renderings for P&L have additional retail spots shown on Baltimore and Wyandotte... more getting into the game.
Yeah the 18 story structure is going north of the current P&L building the article states (I think).....there has always been pretty solid plans about retail on both sides of Baltimore...even the cordish model already has that piece to it and they heavily promote it as a Soho type area
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

I'd like to see a picture of this.  I'm having a hard time picturing what that would look like in my mind.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: OFFICIAL: Tesla building

Post by Tosspot »

Pardon my one-track mind, but does this mean that blasted surface lot on the west side of the Power and Light art-deco skyscraper will be filled in, or am I way off base here?

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Tosspot wrote: Pardon my one-track mind, but does this mean that blasted surface lot on the west side of the Power and Light art-deco skyscraper will be filled in, or am I way off base here?
Si.
Denver Josh
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Denver Josh »

Wait, hold on  :?

This proposed building would have a cloud thing and some coils that would emerge out of the roof on cue so lightning would strike on demand.  

I gonna need to see a picture of this thing :shock:
"My ego's like my stomach, it keeps...shitting what I feed it."  Tim Kasher   / www.joshoakhurst.com
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

This sounds like the kind of project that calls for a starchitect  :D  Someone who can come up with a great design that complements the location, context and Tesla coil concept.  
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Actually the illustration in the Business Journal is just another angle of this building:

In frame 1 they show the roof glowing a dim blue with the mist gathering.  In frame 2, the roof goees dark and a web of lightning shoots in all directions.  In frame 3 the roof turns bright orange.  The coils are visible on the roof and lit up by the orange lights.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Thanks for posting that Scooter. Hopefully some more detailed renderings will come forth when and if this project is finalized. I'd really be interested in the ground-level aspect of this project.

This almost makes me wax sentimental...the forlorn Power & Light building finally gets it's long sought after companion, albeit seventy years late.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit