Chicago Pictures: Or, Why Chicago Is Worth the Ticket Price

Do a trip report here....go to another city and want to relate it to what KC is doing right or could do better? Give us a summary in here.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Chicago Pictures: Or, Why Chicago Is Worth the Ticket Price

Post by ComandanteCero »

I'll just do this in chunks by general areas.

CHUNK 1:
Millenium Park, Grant Park, The Loop (very hard to find original views since most of the stuff is well covered in most dt Chicago threads on SSP, but here's what i came up with):
(took the pictures over a couple of different days, but the ones with the insane haze were on one particularly bad day.  It was thick.....and bad for my lungs)
heading north on Michigan:
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Chicago Pictures: Or, Why Chicago Is Worth the Ticket Price

Post by KCK »

Just like I remember. Great pics.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

thanks KCK  :D
CHUNK 2
Heading North Along Michigan, River, and Random Parts of Streeterville
nicely landscaped sidewalks.  Chicago adds green to its sidewalks very well, particularly along Michigan Av and side streets in that area.  Very urban and lush at the same time, by making it a part of the urban structure and street spaces the green complements the and reenforces the streetscape (for all the green haters  :wink: )
here's a small park surrounded by highrises.  It has a baseball field, tennis courts and running/walking track.  Very well integrated into the urban fabric.  People were out here playing, strolling, or just excercising late into the night (i.e 1 in the morning).
residential side street, with aforementioned greenery.
farmer's market infront of the museum of contemporary art (which is just west of the park shown above)
this is a little marina of sorts, a block or so north of the Chicago River, had shops and galleries on the north side (left) and rowhomes on the south side (right).
pedestrian walkway along the Chicago River (there are rowhomes and apt buildings to the right, adjacent the walkway)
another view looking down towards it
night approaching
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

Spectacular!!!
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

The Chicago River canyon is truly one of a kind.
A fool and your money are soon united.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Comandante, you used a tripod for some of those dusk photos? They turned out wonderful.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

actually, i don't have a tripod :( so i have to it all hand held (leaning against stuff where possible).  Luckily the pictures display relatively small on this thread, but if you saw the full size, many of them are shaky around the edges (not to mention i didn't post the pics where i completely blew it,  :lol: ).  I really need a tripod.... but cash flow is pretty tight these days.

Glad you like them though  8)  Chicago is a great city for taking pictures, i'm sure if you or Grid got a chance to get out there you'd come back with more than a few prize pics.

oh, here's CHUNK 3

These are mostly for examples of the urban fabric in one of the hoods to the north (around the Depaul University are and Lincoln Park), particularly examples of decent new infill.  I started off pretty gung ho about documenting this, but my enthusiasm petered out pretty quickly, so i didn't record the much more happening and impressive hoods i saw later in the day (when i was exhausted and more concerned with getting home in time for supper than taking pics).  Needless to say, if you go to Chicago try to walk around the Old Town Triangle, there are some real gems in that area.  The most impressive infill project i saw was in the Wicker Park neighborhood (where i didn't take any pics  #-o ) it was a very very expensive looking dense large single family home that was made from top to bottom with limestone and marble, and looked liked a 2005 version of Art Deco.  Very cool, and very pricey, and not in here :(

Much of the new infill i saw was made with high quality materials (stone or brick facades, and always with brick sides, no vinyl side and back corner cutting).  Needless to say they looked very pricey.  I saw some shockingly hideous infill too (with small parking lots in front in othewise urban neighborhoods) but they were in the minority.

Anyway:

This is a random side street I wandered onto off of Lincoln Park Avenue, around the DePaul U area.  The two middle leftish buildings are new infill:
close up on one:
another view of the street, you can see the EL at the end of the street.  There's a station a block to the left from there.
very eclectic street..... some good:
some bad:
older cheap infill on the north side of street..... like i said, mix of good and bad:
heading back to Lincoln Park Av, old on the right, new infill in the background:
close up of the infill, not the best IMO, but they atleast tried to keep the same scale and massing of the one reamaining old building:
the other way, heading south, there's the Biograph theater, where John Dillinger was shot by police.  Note the scale isn't all that different from many KC hoods:
forget where this is, but it's much farther down.  This is more typical of many of the more intensive non dt Chicago retail strips:
new infill in this strip:
new infill on various streets:
the white building in the middle is new:
nice side street:
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Great pics of an awesome town.

Oprah letting out? Looks like one traffic signal that wouldn't be so bad to sit through...

ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

lol, yeah, i have no idea what was going on with that group.  It might have been a sorority event or something.  They weren't too bright though... if you notice (well it's too hard to make out at this size) the do not walk sign is only giving 4 more seconds, but most of them decided to cross anyway, needless to say about half of them were still in the crosswalk when the light turned green and about 10 taxis started honking and yelling like there was no tomorrow, girls' reaction was one of complete shock followed by outrage that these taxis DARE honk at them....... lol.