Sporting Kansas City

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Sporting Kansas City

Post by langosta »

GRID wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:25 pm
langosta wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:20 pm
GRID wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:19 pm Why in the world would you want the Chiefs Downtown? Maybe near downtown. NKC would be kind of neat. But even that would change the entire feel of the area and create an enormous dead zone that will be difficult to develop.

I just don't get moving the Chiefs from the TSC. And that includes moving the stadium to be near a bunch of suburban development. A nice stadium and lots of parking. That is all the Chiefs need.

Even this talk of suberbowls and final fours. KC is going to have a real hard time competing for such events even with a downtown domed stadium. KC "might" get one superbowl. There are just too many locations and now there are many new super stadiums going up in cold weather cities that KC will never compete with like Minneapolis, Atlanta, the new stadium in Nashville etc. Charlotte will likely build a new downtown super stadium in the next 10 years. Those cites all way more downtown hotels and much more modern hotels than KC does.

I just don't see the point in moving the Chiefs from the TSC.

Now Sporting should be in East Village.
I’m interested in the other 100+ annual events that a modern downtown dome bring in. Conventions, concerts, etc.
Those events are so small that I'm not sure it's worth screwing up a huge chunk of urban fabric over it. And again, KC's hotel inventory is just not great. KC is just not keeping up with that part of the hospitality infrastructure. I have stayed in nearly ever hotel in urban kc, and the vast majority of KC's hotels are dated and Downtown is missing a bunch of desirable flags. Loews is about it for large hotels and that's why you can rarely ever stay there for under 250-350 a night. It's not that great of a hotel, but its' as good as it gets in KC and there is not much competition. Maybe hotels will come after a stadium is built, but again, KC is competing with some pretty built up cities now.
That is such a defeatist approach. X is poor today so no point in investing in better?

Sure not all 100 are major events but some 10-20+ are sizable events and conventions.

10, NFL Games, 20 MLS, 10 concerts, 20 major conventions, and suddenly the stadium is nearly as busy as an MLB stadium on a days utilized basis and well above on total traffic. This is a realistic vision if placed downtown but that can’t be executed if they stay in the suburbs. EV was going to get wrecked anyways with a stadium why is this any worse for the Grid per say?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

So first off, you are going to just nix the tailgating culture of the Chiefs? Is that even remotely realistic?

Secondly, why would the MLS want to share a stadium again with an NFL team? No matter how popular MLS gets in America, I don't see it selling out NFL stadiums on a regular basis especially in market like KC. Atlanta and Seattle draw huge crowds, but those are huge cities and I don't think they sell out the venues often. I think MLS only stadiums are here to stay. They might get a little larger than KC's stadium, but even 30k would feel tiny in an NFL stadium. So I don't see that happening.

If you can move forward and overcome pissing everybody off by taking away tailgating and not having an MLS tenant, and you can find a place in downtown that would work and the only realistic place would be the EV. I just don't think KC will get much more than it already gets as far as big events. Why are you taking that so personally? KC is a small city with no transit and very few modern downtown hotels. The city and its residents do not have the will to make KC more development friendly so downtown KC having a dozen or more tower cranes up building hotels and apartment towers is not likely no matter how many stadiums are built downtown.

I just don't see the Chiefs downtown as being remotely possible and I'm not even sure ideal.

I mean even the world's greatest cities don't have their biggest stadiums in their central cities. They are close by and well serviced by transit, but they are not really right in the city.

One of the more modern ones I have seen in my travels is Marvel Stadium in Melbourne and that stadium is up against a major train station and harbor and even that stadium is sort of a big dead zone in a city where it's difficult to find a single dead block. But it's about as good of a location for a very urban stadium as you can get. But that's in a city where NOBODY drives to any events in any stadium. The Melbourne sports complex of a bunch of stadiums is actually better. Just outside of the core of downtown. KC is a city where most will drive no matter what.

A 76,000 seat stadium just doesn't make sense in the middle of the city.

But everybody has their opinions. You can have yours and that's fine. I think KC would be 100 times better off by building light rail out to Arrowhead and into the Jackson county suburbs than moving the stadium downtown.

Baseball is different, but with light rail, I would even consider leaving the Royals where they are. That way the people that want to park at the stadium can easily do so, but the stadium would also be a ten minute LRT ride to the city. But that's not likely to ever happen either. Jackson County is becoming another Wyandotte County outside of downtown and lee's summit. The county has no idea how to invest in itself.

So just move the Royals downtown and keep the Chiefs where they are. If you think a 70,000 seat stadium belongs in the city that's totally fine.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Iangosta is completely correct. You can put the Chiefs downtown or near it (NKC site) and those area's aren't going to be negatively affected. If everyone else is doing it then KC can too.

And yes we all agree Sporting needs to be downtown and frankly it's embarrassing that it's not at this point.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Sorry to feed into off topic discussion but I've been Team no Chiefs downtown as well due to the tailgating culture and how infrequently the stadiums are sued but interesting to see where the NFL has their stadiums in relation to downtown

https://twitter.com/JayCuda/status/1616231155799556097
Metro
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Metro »

langosta wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 11:39 am
Metro wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:14 am Anyone wanting the Chiefs downtown hasnt been to a game
Or they visited a modern downtown stadium ie Vikings and loved it.
Totally different
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:14 pm Sorry to feed into off topic discussion but I've been Team no Chiefs downtown as well due to the tailgating culture and how infrequently the stadiums are sued but interesting to see where the NFL has their stadiums in relation to downtown

I don’t think the chiefs will ever give up their parking revenue.

If you want a downtown stadium do a breathalyzer test for every driver leaving the stadium. Cars and drunk driving are pretty entrenched in sports culture here.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:04 am
KCPowercat wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:14 pm Sorry to feed into off topic discussion but I've been Team no Chiefs downtown as well due to the tailgating culture and how infrequently the stadiums are sued but interesting to see where the NFL has their stadiums in relation to downtown

I don’t think the chiefs will ever give up their parking revenue.

If you want a downtown stadium do a breathalyzer test for every driver leaving the stadium. Cars and drunk driving are pretty entrenched in sports culture here.
That was a shocking, disturbing and disappointing thing I noticed when I moved back
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

A good argument for transit and urban stadiums, but that’s not the argument anyone is making.
UMKCroo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by UMKCroo »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:05 am A good argument for transit and urban stadiums, but that’s not the argument anyone is making.
I found this to be one of the saddest, and most KC, innuendos coming out of the anti-East Crossroads businesses. "Where will all of our drunk customers park, if all of the parking is filled with drunk Royals fans!"
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I was with a friend in London I won’t name leaving an Arsenal game, and I asked him what percentage of people here do you think are driving home and what percentage of royals fans would drive there and leave with no other activity?

It’s something to contemplate as we contemplate this stadium.