Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by WoodDraw »

It’s a lot of money to be giving an unelected board. That survey is interesting as well.

The trash service is welcome and needed. As is the first Friday stuff, although I question if the board will run it for the community or how they want it to be.

100 trees a year I’m incredibly skeptical on, assuming they mean them actually surviving. Don’t get the graffiti thing at all. And the security thing seems dumb and a subsidy for the few that will know there is a random security guy for twelve hours.

I’m for it, but it’s…interesting.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

smh wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:36 pm Why are the old Star HQ and Freighthouse carved out?
The Star has a development agreement with the city that anticipates its own CID and the Freight House CID was approved earlier this year. The tiny carveout you didn't ask about is an existing CID for Parlor. No stacking!
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:13 pm
smh wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:36 pm Why are the old Star HQ and Freighthouse carved out?
The Star has a development agreement with the city that anticipates its own CID and the Freight House CID was approved earlier this year. The tiny carveout you didn't ask about is an existing CID for Parlor. No stacking!
This is good to know. When the 39th St. CID drew their gerrymandered map, they just carved around the people they knew wouldn't support it.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:49 pm 100 trees a year I’m incredibly skeptical on, assuming they mean them actually surviving. Don’t get the graffiti thing at all. And the security thing seems dumb and a subsidy for the few that will know there is a random security guy for twelve hours.
We've already planted 89 since last fall.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:18 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:49 pm 100 trees a year I’m incredibly skeptical on, assuming they mean them actually surviving. Don’t get the graffiti thing at all. And the security thing seems dumb and a subsidy for the few that will know there is a random security guy for twelve hours.
We've already planted 89 since last fall.
That’s great to hear. Most urban trees have unsuccessful lives, but I’m very open to being proven wrong.

I see there is someone on the board with experience. I’m keeping an open mind :)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I thought for years the majority of Crossroads residents/business owners were fighting any CID formation?

Great to see and much needed.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:36 pm I thought for years the majority of Crossroads residents/business owners were fighting any CID formation?

Great to see and much needed.
When it was only special assessments based on value, yes. Now it's flat-rate and we added a sales tax to offset that reduction. Much more affordable! No property pays over $1800 the first year (3% annual escalation).
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Nice
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

Anyone know anything about Sushi Kodawari going in at 2100 central?
https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Pro ... ttachments
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

hartliss wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:46 am Anyone know anything about Sushi Kodawari going in at 2100 central?
https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Pro ... ttachments
News to me, but happy to see something other than office and event space going into the Creamery building.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Construction started in NW corner of 18th and Baltimore. Anyone know what is going in there? Sorry if it’s already been discussed.
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:31 pm Construction started in NW corner of 18th and Baltimore. Anyone know what is going in there? Sorry if it’s already been discussed.
viewtopic.php?t=18845&start=220

This one I think?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

KC_Ari wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:33 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:31 pm Construction started in NW corner of 18th and Baltimore. Anyone know what is going in there? Sorry if it’s already been discussed.
viewtopic.php?t=18845&start=220

This one I think?
No, that is between Wyandotte and Central. This is on Baltimore, the old auto shop and the building to the north on Baltimore.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

The parking lot out front is becoming a pocket park while the "L" shaped building will become retail space. Shirley Helzberg is behind the plan. It's being done in conjunction with the two renovations at 18th and Central.

For reference, I'm attaching the floor plans and renderings for both projects. All are by Helix Architects.

1718 Baltimore

214 West 18th (MGM/Universal Pictures Buildings)
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

That is the perfect use for that corner. I've dreamt about a pocket park there for years.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Some before and rendered afters of the Helzberg projects.

214-20 West 18th...

1718 Baltimore...
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Saw some workers inside the old Reiger space this week. Is something moving in there or just general maintenance?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:21 pm Saw some workers inside the old Reiger space this week. Is something moving in there or just general maintenance?
The old Rieger space at 1924 Main has a remodel application on Compass for a new restaurant called "Wise Guy". Applicant is Ashley May.
https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... b=contacts
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Weinberger Fine Arts is closing their gallery on SW Blvd. Hate to see galleries close in the neighborhood. Hope something creative replaces it!
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Midtownkid wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:16 am Weinberger Fine Arts is closing their gallery on SW Blvd. Hate to see galleries close in the neighborhood. Hope something creative replaces it!
Saw that too - sad to see. They always had great pieces and was a great place to walk through on a First Friday