1822 Main Redevlopment

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: 1822 Main Redevlopment

Post by langosta »

normalthings wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:20 pm Image

14 floors. These renderings are nowhere near as nice as the Reverb ones and iirc Arterra. Must be pretty early or unsure if they can make it work.

https://cityscenekc.com/apartment-tower ... rossroads/
What about the design is bad urbanism ?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:41 am
smh wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:11 am Love to approve incentive packages without any discussion of design. Not to be too crabby, but perhaps this kind of process is why the riverfront is turning into suburbia.
“Can we have incentives pls?”

“Ok, but do good urbanism.”

“No.”

“Ok, here’s your incentive.”
Precisely.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

langosta wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:58 am
normalthings wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:20 pm Image

14 floors. These renderings are nowhere near as nice as the Reverb ones and iirc Arterra. Must be pretty early or unsure if they can make it work.

https://cityscenekc.com/apartment-tower ... rossroads/
What about the design is bad urbanism ?
My post was broad, but for this one specifically the 2 story parking podium, on the streetcar line, is pretty egregious. Do we know if there’s retail on the ground floor? Looks like there could be, but I hope it’s not like the WR building’s shallow “galleries”
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I must be the only one who likes the the building design. I think this one will look good when it’s completed rather than in the rendering only.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I definitely like the concept and the look of the tower, but I share concerns about the ground floor if only because we haven't heard details. To me it is always about the ground floor. As we try to rebuild a more dense, walkable environment it isn't enough to have residential density (though that is clearly a very important component) we also have to make sure we are creating places to walk to and pleasant walks between them. I continue to beat on the W&R project but it is a great example of a new building contributing very little to the street, doing almost nothing to promote walkability.

So, hopefully this project has access only from the alley and has proper ground floor space...but I'd like to hear details. Fool me once, etc etc etc
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

We need to keep an eye out for the development plan on Compass since the plans will eventually be uploaded there. I’m just hoping it doesn’t look as cheesy in real life as it does currently. Looks like a Miami Beach or Cancun hotel
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Sometimes I don’t get people on here. 1914 Main with its 1970s suburban steel siding is Amazing!, but this is horrible.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:24 am Sometimes I don’t get people on here. 1914 Main with its 1970s suburban steel siding is Amazing!, but this is horrible.
No one saying this is horrible. EDIT: Just cheesy apparently. I think it looks fine.

To Crossroads point, it does seem like the site to the south might eventually get redeveloped (particularly considering the parking lot). I wonder to what extent Copaken is considering that in the design.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

ImageNot bad
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

langosta wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:48 pm ImageNot bad
Looks great. I do wish they would save the little limestone façade and incorporate it into the new façade. Seems easy enough. Retail or some sort of ped interaction needs to be along Main.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I'd be happier with this project if they were reusing the old bank facade as the entrance to the building. El Fango not happy about this.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CqF1SqUK ... _copy_link
neurosyphilis
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by neurosyphilis »

I'd say anything is better than what's there now but fortune would somehow grant us another surface lot
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

langosta wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:48 pm ImageNot bad
Show it to us from the ground levellll
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Once again, the BJ is calling this a "highrise". Would someone please send these people to school? And while they're there, please teach them some fundamental statistics and data presentation. And I mean, very fundamental.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

missingkc wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:27 pm Once again, the BJ is calling this a "highrise". Would someone please send these people to school? And while they're there, please teach them some fundamental statistics and data presentation. And I mean, very fundamental.
This is a highrise per code
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Well, I think that's a misnomer. Don't you?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

I assume the Space Odyssey monolith on the south side is the pool, or is that the entrance to the garage? What's the point of alleyways if you're not going to use them for garage entrances? I do like that it shows some color. Hopefully, we've moved past the dumb phase where everyone paints their residences black or white or a shade in between.
neurosyphilis
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by neurosyphilis »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:11 pm I assume the Space Odyssey monolith on the south side is the pool, or is that the entrance to the garage? What's the point of alleyways if you're not going to use them for garage entrances? I do like that it shows some color. Hopefully, we've moved past the dumb phase where everyone paints their residences black or white or a shade in between.
That's Michael's Fine Clothing (1830 Main). It's not part of the proposed development.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

neurosyphilis wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:31 pm That's Michael's Fine Clothing (1830 Main). It's not part of the proposed development.
No, talking about this building behind the two ferns.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:04 pm
neurosyphilis wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:31 pm That's Michael's Fine Clothing (1830 Main). It's not part of the proposed development.
No, talking about this building behind the two ferns.
That is Michaels