World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:30 pm Here is a recent example.
https://youtu.be/bAj9ElIpxFg?t=596

There are dozens of videos like this about KC and nearly all of them show a relatively empty downtown.
Grid most of those comments are people complaining that the guy purposely drove through the shittiest parts of the city. And they're right.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:40 pm

There are dozens of videos like this about KC and nearly all of them show a relatively empty downtown.
GRID most of those comments are people complaining that the guy purposely drove through the shittiest parts of the city. And they're right.
Yeah, KC people that won't accept the fact that downtown KC feels dead most of the time.

I was showing an example and 12thand Grand is not the shittiest part of the city and that's the part of the city I'm talking about.

Forget it lol. KC is a bustling city. Be careful crossing those streets!

Again you guys all take it way too personal. So what if Downtown is empty most of the time? KC is just a little different. It still has all the same stuff that other cities have, it just does not have a very busy center city. Even Midtown is not that busy for an urban area like that.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:36 pm
DColeKC wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:28 pm I guess if you're talking about people from DC, NYC or LA coming to KC and saying it's lacking activity and people, you're probably right.
The people I know here from NYC don't complain about KC at all. It's usually pleasantly surprised reactions. Maybe it's because they thought it would be a farm, but it's still good things. Tbh with you, the only people I ever hear complain about KC are natives who've built it up in their heads that we must suck because national media who've never been here keep telling them we suck.
I'M NOT SAYING KC SUCKS. KC's low key laid back atmosphere is something I sort of like about the city. I'm just saying people do notice the lack of people there, but nearly everybody still enjoys visiting KC (unless they just walk around downtown and leave of course).
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:46 pm

GRID most of those comments are people complaining that the guy purposely drove through the shittiest parts of the city. And they're right.
Yeah, KC people that won't accept the fact that downtown KC feels dead most of the time.

I was showing an example and 12thand Grand is not the shittiest part of the city and that's the part of the city I'm talking about.

Again you guys all take it way too personal. So what if Downtown is empty most of the time? KC is just a little different. It still has all the same stuff that other cities have, it just does not have a very busy center city. Even Midtown is not that busy for an urban area like that.
Yeah the three busiest parts of the urban core are the River Market, Plaza & Power Light district. He didn't go to any of them. And yeah you do gotta be careful crossing in the Plaza! You're right.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

GRID wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:46 pm

Your video proves my point. He's walking through at 10:30am on a Wednesday. No, downtown KC isn't a hustling and bustling situation on a Wednesday morning. Especially in 2022 with WFH. I don't measure a cities vibrancy on weekday morning pedestrian activity.

It's not the points you're trying to make, it's the fact you're adamant about them despite people who live here telling you otherwise. Instead, youtube videos are your trusted source. Like I said, you're adamant about this point and have mentioned similar things in dozens of other threads.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

He literally showed the P&L sign and talked about it. But I digress. KC has three blocks of 47th that might have some pedestrians. My bad. JFC.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I go to KC 2-3 times a year and when I go there, I spend nearly all my time in the city and stay in downtown hotels. KC has a quiet downtown. Why are you taking that as such an insult? And compared to other similar sized towns, KC is on the quieter side for sure. Cincinnati's fountain square or riverfront area etc always very busy even if their are no events going on etc.

I have hit a nerve, so I will stop posting and concede. Back to the world cup. 8)
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

So I could go make a quick youtube video for you right now. You'd see the activity in PNL alone. Every bar and restaurant has a mostly full crowd, a few hundred people gathered outside waiting for a band. Residents walking dogs etc. Of course it's 9pm on a Saturday and I'm guessing that same area he showed in said youtube video is lacking pedestrian traffic at the moment too.

What days of the week are staying downtown? Time of year?

Saying KC has a quiet downtown is a lot different than saying it's run down and empty of people. The FIFA people thankfully came and saw for themselves instead of relying on youtube vlogs.

Not sure why you're surprised with the reaction here. This passion is exactly why we got the World Cup over the massive pedestrian and bicycle metropolis of Denver.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:03 pm KC has a quiet downtown. Why are you taking that as such an insult?
*sighs*
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:08 pm So I could go make a quick youtube video for you right now. You'd see the activity in PNL alone. Every bar and restaurant has a mostly full crowd, a few hundred people gathered outside waiting for a band. Residents walking dogs etc. Of course it's 9pm on a Saturday and I'm guessing that same area he showed in said youtube video is lacking pedestrian traffic at the moment too.

Saying KC has a quiet downtown is a lot different than saying it's run down and empty of people. The FIFA people thankfully came and saw for themselves instead of relying on youtube vlogs.

Not sure why you're surprised with the reaction here. This passion is exactly why we got the World Cup over the massive pedestrian and bicycle metropolis of Denver.
I would hope so. It's freaking Saturday night.

I'm with you. I love KC too. That's why I'm here and yes that's why KC got the world cup.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I'm just defending myself here. I didn't say downtown was run down, I said many parts of downtown have some really bad deteriorating infrastructure outside the P&L district. But honestly "parts" of the greater downtown area are pretty run down too, especially east of Grand. When I said run down, I was talking about pretty much the entire corridors between downtown and the stadium and the area around the stadium...
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

GRID wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:18 pm I'm just defending myself here. I didn't say downtown was run down, I said many parts of downtown have some really bad deteriorating infrastructure outside the P&L district. But honestly "parts" of the greater downtown area are pretty run down too, especially east of Grand. When I said run down, I was talking about pretty much the entire corridors between downtown and the stadium and the area around the stadium...
The area around the stadium is atrocious. I'll give you that all day long.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Let's be clear fifa didn't pick KC because we wanted it more. That's silly. They don't care about how much KC wants anything. We are a better host than those other cities.
Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Downtown KC with lack of pedestrian traffic

Circa 2022 (colorized)
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:23 pm Let's be clear fifa didn't pick KC because we wanted it more. That's silly. They don't care about how much KC wants anything. We are a better host than those other cities.
Which is part of wanting it more. KC will do great. That much I know. Just like they do with the Big 12, just like they will with the NFL draft etc.

Just take advantage while people are in a good mood about the city and get as much done as physically possible over the next several years.

Opportunities like this don't come often. People in KC might even be okay with the new downtown ballpark while they are getting ready for the world cup.

Oh and I like the Blue Ridge taco bell. That's the best thing in the area. 8)
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:23 pm Let's be clear fifa didn't pick KC because we wanted it more. That's silly. They don't care about how much KC wants anything. We are a better host than those other cities.
I agree. Why are we not allowed to say part of the reason KC got the bid was because it’s a good city and the downtown is good?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It's dismissive to KC to say it's only because we wanted it more. Go ask the loser cities how much they wanted it. We are supposed to be the KC supporters and we are dismissing the win on our thirsty behavior? Come on
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

It's a Saturday night. All of you need a drink.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:12 pm
DColeKC wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:08 pm So I could go make a quick youtube video for you right now. You'd see the activity in PNL alone. Every bar and restaurant has a mostly full crowd, a few hundred people gathered outside waiting for a band. Residents walking dogs etc. Of course it's 9pm on a Saturday and I'm guessing that same area he showed in said youtube video is lacking pedestrian traffic at the moment too.

I would hope so. It's freaking Saturday night.

I'm with you. I love KC too. That's why I'm here and yes that's why KC got the world cup.
When dcole posts about downtown it's mostly only Cordish town which is a tiny part of downtown
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

WoodDraw wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:43 pm It's a Saturday night. All of you need a drink.
Np here which is why I need to log off lol