OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Re: We are getting a new airport!!!

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Chick-fil-a that wasn’t absolutely slammed when flying through an airport that had one. Even being closed on Sundays, I’d imagine they still would’ve been one of the biggest money makers in the airport.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

CFA is something I'll probably never understand the hype for, as their chicken isn't meaningfully tastier than any other fast food restaurant that specializes in chicken. Residual "ooh, new shiny" from their kudzu-like national expansion? Being really good at marketing that's not targeted at me/my demographic?

(Also, if the past day's worth of posts in this thread hasn't been the Batsignal for our favorite "not-currently-in market gibberish and so on" bot, I don't know what would be.)
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Was CFA the northland’s dining contribution? Regardless, CFA is out so the discussion is over.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I heard they’re going to replace it with something local- so how is that a bad thing for us?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Goonies wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:05 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:28 pm I heard they’re going to replace it with something local- so how is that a bad thing for us?
Because they gave into the SJW crowd when they should have told them to fuck off
You are correct, there is someone in this equation that we should tell to fuck off.
Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

While I wouldn’t exactly word it the same way as goonies there, I think it’s a little bit ridiculous to have absolutely no discussion or public comment on this issue. They had one group bring a letter citing an issue they had, and two days later the business is pulled. Don’t see that as letting the traveling public decide, by voting with their money. Furthermore, the Sunday closing issue is mute, as the concession provider already had a plan in place to have another operator operate out of the space on Sundays.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

To be clear I don’t care about whatever CFA says, that’s their own business, the only thing I had a gripe with was Sunday being closed and potentially pushing out someone local.

Hot take- Hawaiian Bros would be a fantastic airport option. It’s local, it’s super quick and in a box, and it’s good unique food that would showcase us well. It’s just a super cool and trendy place we could show off that I think travelers from all over would love.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

The entire anti CFA thing this board seems to have going on is ridiculous. Ya'll.. their business itself doesn't exclude. Therefore, I could really give a rats ass less as to what anyones personal thoughts are within their organization. There's going to be people you disagree with in EVERY business. As long as that business isn't excluding anyone illegally then IT DOES NOT MATTER. Don't be such hypocrites.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

As much as I personally don't like chains I see their draw in places like an airport or even downtown areas. People want something familiar if they need something quick. I'd say a McDonald's would be w good replacement.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

There are so many other options, even in the chicken world!, why would a bid group take even the smallest risk to back CFA?

Easiest decision that executive ever made.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:29 am As much as I personally don't like chains I see their draw in places like an airport or even downtown areas. People want something familiar if they need something quick. I'd say a McDonald's would be w good replacement.
McDonald's just says, "I'm old and still have fond memories of my childhood in the 60s." Not exactly what you want to portray as your entrance to the city.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

If there's no CFA, absolutely nobody in the world, except maybe people who earnestly complain about "SJWs" (lol), is going to walk into the airport and be bothered that it isn't there, but if there is a CFA, it will help shape the opinions that some non-zero number of visitors form about the city. Whatever you think about CFA's (noxious) corporate activism or (garbage) product, it is obviously better PR not to have them. Asking to exclude them, which is affirmatively positive for the city, is less "virtue signaling" than thrashing about on the internet in defense of a multi-billion dollar company -- you have no purpose here except to "virtue signal" that you won't bow down to the, ahem, "SJW crowd" (lol again). Rally all your gamer bros to publish your own letter railing against this decision or get over it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:36 am
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:29 am As much as I personally don't like chains I see their draw in places like an airport or even downtown areas. People want something familiar if they need something quick. I'd say a McDonald's would be w good replacement.
McDonald's just says, "I'm old and still have fond memories of my childhood in the 60s." Not exactly what you want to portray as your entrance to the city.
They are consistently busy at airports.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Can we move on from CFA now? Obviously, politics has invaded and has a stranglehold on every aspect of our lives now, apparently including fast food. The decisions been made. Hawaiian Brothers would be a nice additional though I don't know if it has the draw of other national chains, which we probably need at least one of. Whataburger seems to be making a strong play in KC. I've also seen a few Shake Shacks and Five Guys in airports though I would never eat a greasy burger before a long flight.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

A little disappointed here by the restaurant venues proposed for the new airport. I think the city needs to have a representation from the food it is most known for: BBQ and particular consideration should be given to one of KC's better known BBQ restaurants. Omitting BBQ would be a a missed opportunity for the city to show its stuff. Plus it's what people expect when they come to KC.

Happy to have a couple of fast food restaurants in the airport. I was flying last night and when I arrived late at my destination, travellers were buying McDonalds to take home with them due to the convenience and late hour. Very happy Chick-Filet was rejected. Nothing to do with politics but a restaurant that won't open on Sunday isn't providing the best possible service at an airport (plus, their food is ordinary and nothing special).

It's absolutely crazy that some think restaurants from different parts of the city need to be represented at the airport. That's political nonsense.

Lastly, why is KC using a concession to manage restaurants at the airport? It's a small airport that will have a dozen or less venues. It's not Chicago O'Hare. Just bring in the actual restaurant groups from around town to run their own shops.
Last edited by Highlander on Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Highlander wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:30 am
Lastly, why is KC using a concession to manage restaurants at the airport? It's a small airport that will have a dozen or less venues. It's not Chicago O'Hare. Just bring in the actual restaurant groups from around town to run their own shops.
KCI today and all most all of our peers use this model. Its efficient and has a bunch of benefits
Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Goonies wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:52 am
phuqueue wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:50 am If there's no CFA, absolutely nobody in the world, except maybe people who earnestly complain about "SJWs" (lol), is going to walk into the airport and be bothered that it isn't there, but if there is a CFA, it will help shape the opinions that some non-zero number of visitors form about the city. Whatever you think about CFA's (noxious) corporate activism or (garbage) product, it is obviously better PR not to have them. Asking to exclude them, which is affirmatively positive for the city, is less "virtue signaling" than thrashing about on the internet in defense of a multi-billion dollar company -- you have no purpose here except to "virtue signal" that you won't bow down to the, ahem, "SJW crowd" (lol again). Rally all your gamer bros to publish your own letter railing against this decision or get over it.
20 bucks says you're a fat white dude with a beard who loves craft brews came from the KC reddit
Dude, not the place.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Bbq is included.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

I don't think reddit even existed when I started boarding here
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

BBQ is included, but do we know what BBQ it's going to be? The rendering in that PDF that was posted a few days ago just shows a generic-looking spot with a big "BBQ TO GO" sign next to it at the very bottom of the slide deck. Considering they have a bunch of brand names for everything else, is the BBQ provider just not selected yet, or is it just going to be something generic? Or is there something newer that I didn't see with more details?