I want a Kenneth Cole store

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

if they'd offer it, I'd hope to hell the city would jump all over it. My point is they won't.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCPowercat wrote:if they'd offer it, I'd hope to hell the city would jump all over it. My point is they won't.
Money talks.

KC is also in a postion where a central location is more beneficial here than in somewhere like StL or Chicago. We have high growth and high-end 'burbs in every direction with Jo Co only maintaining a slight lead in reputation and housing stock. A large destination retailer would make the most sense in a location near the center of the metro rather than on the outskirts. The core of the city also provides great access to many different freeways coming in from every direction.
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Slappy the Wang »

Can't pretty much every Kenneth Cole item be purchased at Nordstrom's or the Sunglass Hut?

I think REI would be incredible, but I'm not sure they're willing to come into a non-outdoor sports market (for the most part...no mountains, skiing or serious biking/hiking) with Dick's providing adequate resources for the existing populace interested in those activities. I buy a lot of stuff from REI/Campmore/Etc, but I just don't see then paying the bills in KC.
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
NDgravy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by NDgravy »

The reason, as I understand it from Tribune articles about two years back, is that Mayor Daley refused to allow IKEA to move into the city of Chicago because he felt that the jobs actually would hurt area people rather than help improve their lives. That is why they chose a suburban location, though I am pretty sure they were going to be in an area like the Northside of the city.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Slappy the Wang wrote: I think REI would be incredible, but I'm not sure they're willing to come into a non-outdoor sports market (for the most part...no mountains, skiing or serious biking/hiking) with Dick's providing adequate resources for the existing populace interested in those activities. I buy a lot of stuff from REI/Campmore/Etc, but I just don't see then paying the bills in KC.
There's one in StL.
metrobuddy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by metrobuddy »

Kenneth Cole has a STL store ...

and so does REI ...

I think REI would easily go over in KC too.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Slappy the Wang wrote:Can't pretty much every Kenneth Cole item be purchased at Nordstrom's or the Sunglass Hut?

I think REI would be incredible, but I'm not sure they're willing to come into a non-outdoor sports market (for the most part...no mountains, skiing or serious biking/hiking) with Dick's providing adequate resources for the existing populace interested in those activities. I buy a lot of stuff from REI/Campmore/Etc, but I just don't see then paying the bills in KC.
You'd be surprised. Go to a mountain bike race in KC and see how many people are there.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

metrobuddy wrote:Kenneth Cole has a STL store ...

Just to let you know that says New york :lol:
Brasky
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Brasky »

downtown council is doing a retail recruitment program and is actively soliciting new retailers. what other national or local retailers would work surronding the cordish development??
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

Craka, Kenneth Cole New York is the long name which is on store fronts in Dallas, Atlanta, etc. and is the more signature brand line. Kenneth Cole Reaction is the more vanilla brand line.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Off topic outdoor STL discussion here:
http://www.kcskyscrapers.com/kcforum/vi ... php?t=4886
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc