Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by grovester »

mykn wrote:
rxlexi wrote:Stopped by Tail Waggin' Pet Stop at 19th/Wyandotte last night for the first time and picked up some Taste of the Wild and pig/cow ears for the dogs.

Nice bright store, mostly high-end foods, decent variety of treats and toys. Friendly staff. Never see many folks in there so thought I'd give them a shot; will definitely get our fancy dog food there (dog allergies) going forward.

Recommended for downtown/midtown pet owners, hoping they make it in that location.
Yes! The owners of Tail Waggin' are so nice! They helped us switch our cats to a better food that not only fixed their hairball/throw up issue but also made them shed less and have nicer fur. They also give out tons of goodies, they gave us a basket of dog treats for our condo building a while back ago. The best part is that their prices are pretty comparable to buying from amazon/online (from what I've seen).

I promise, I'm not affiliated with them :)
TELL ME! What's the solution to the hairball/throwup issue.
mykn

Post by mykn »

grovester wrote:
mykn wrote:
rxlexi wrote:Stopped by Tail Waggin' Pet Stop at 19th/Wyandotte last night for the first time and picked up some Taste of the Wild and pig/cow ears for the dogs.

Nice bright store, mostly high-end foods, decent variety of treats and toys. Friendly staff. Never see many folks in there so thought I'd give them a shot; will definitely get our fancy dog food there (dog allergies) going forward.

Recommended for downtown/midtown pet owners, hoping they make it in that location.
Yes! The owners of Tail Waggin' are so nice! They helped us switch our cats to a better food that not only fixed their hairball/throw up issue but also made them shed less and have nicer fur. They also give out tons of goodies, they gave us a basket of dog treats for our condo building a while back ago. The best part is that their prices are pretty comparable to buying from amazon/online (from what I've seen).

I promise, I'm not affiliated with them :)
TELL ME! What's the solution to the hairball/throwup issue.
Haha, well for our cat, it was food rotation and quality.

My cat, Willard, is getting a little more up there in age and just couldn't keep the medium quality food down anymore, also, due to age and his incredible amount of shedding, he had a lot of hairballs. We went in and explained what was happening and they gave us a few sample bags of cat food. They told us to feed him one protein type for a little bit, then switch it to a different type, so he never is constantly being fed the same kind of protein. The most amazing thing happened, no more hair balls and no more puking. We switched him to a brand they recommended called Fromm and his coat has been super nice and shiny and the amount of fur floating around has significantly gone down.

Also, if you live in a smaller place, use the Dr Elsey cat litter that they carry. It clumps really well, traps smell like crazy and is not very dusty. I had been using it for quite awhile before they opened up and they started carrying it for me and said they have been getting a lot of good reviews of it from others.

Now if you want me to tell you how I made a hide-away litter box w/ a Ikea cabinet and a cat door, I could go on all day.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

My two worthless cats used to puke all the time. After a few years, I got a dog and started to buy her food at Costco, because I was told the Kirkland brand dog food is high quality. So, I told the cats they will no longer get their fancy food and will have to suffice with Costco cat food.

Either they quit puking, or the dog is eating it before I see it. I believe it is a combination of the two.

Sorry for the digression, back to the Xroads.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

I used to have problems with hairballs too.

However, I have found that a regular jaunt to Los Tules (IN THE CROSSROADS) for a half order of Huevos Rancheros and a margarita has almost entirely taken care of this.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Has there been any movement of the crossroads pub renovating the Nica's space? I haven't been by there in awhile

edit...found some info:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Blvd-Tav ... 3255732522

http://www.blvdtavernkc.com/
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Another thing to keep cats from puking is to stop feeding them cat food made from fish. Many cats cannot tolerate fish, even though they like it.

Fish is not a food that cats ate as they evolved in nature. Cats in nature eat rodents, small animals, birds, insects, etc.

I lived with roommate that had a cat that puked almost every day. Someone told me about the problem with cats digesting fish proteins. When the cat was no longer fed food with fish in it, the cat stopped puking immediately.
mykn

Post by mykn »

FangKC wrote:Another thing to keep cats from puking is to stop feeding them cat food made from fish. Many cats cannot tolerate fish, even though they like it.

Fish is not a food that cats ate as they evolved in nature. Cats in nature eat rodents, small animals, birds, insects, etc.

I lived with roommate that had a cat that puked almost every day. Someone told me about the problem with cats digesting fish proteins. When the cat was no longer fed food with fish in it, the cat stopped puking immediately.
That's a great point, when's the last time you saw a cat get in a river and catch jumping salmon?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

KC’s east Crossroads district is bustling with new shops and entertainment

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 74098.html
ThorsteinVeblen
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ThorsteinVeblen »

Office space renderings plus article...

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... ffice.html
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Confirmation of the children's museum concept I brought up earlier.
Rabbit Hole, a proposed nonprofit children’s book center, plans to have an office in the former Hammerpress space at 110 Southwest Blvd. The space will house the project’s capital campaign office as well as a model studio where visitors can get a feel for what a permanent center would look like.

The permanent center would be about 50,000 square feet or more.

Rabbit Hole expects a capital campaign of two to three years.

“Imagine if the City Museum in St. Louis crashed into the Eric Carle Museum (of Picture Book Art) in Amherst, Mass. That’s the sort of scale and energy we’re after,” said Pete Cowdin, founder of Rabbit Hole with his wife, Debbie Pettid. “The Rabbit Hole will be the first of its kind in the United States — an immersive laboratory of creativity, education and play dedicated to literacy and the literary arts through the advancement, preservation and celebration of the children’s book.”

Cowdin and Pettid also operate Brookside’s Reading Reptile.
Along with other tidbits of opening in the West Xroads--so as not to be out done by the east Xroads
http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 50706.html
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... llery.html
Revare said plans still are being worked out — demolition work began in late February — but the pair ordered its distilling equipment and has hired Kansas City-based Clockwork Architecture + Design to design a bar and restaurant for Tom's Town. Chris Burnette, president of Union, Mo., distillery Coulter & Payne Farm Distillery, said he helped set up the business. Burnette, who's been distilling for about four years and helped set up a handful of craft distilleries in the region, said the business will feature a bar, an event and retail space, and will try to retail the classic aesthetic of the building.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

lots of activity at 1915 main (the new/old DB nightclub). will be all commercial and retail, with a possible new story added on top.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DaveKCMO wrote:lots of activity at 1915 main (the new/old DB nightclub). will be all commercial and retail, with a possible new story added on top.
Read my mind...I walked by there this week and got excited something was happening. Now if the Midwest hotel could get some love.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

stay tuned...
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

DaveKCMO wrote:stay tuned...
I'm tuned, I'm tuned!

I think Dave needs a throw away account so he can pass on all his juicy gossip
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Went to Screenland this evening, very nice space. Didn't have the issues mentioned as it was FF and the place was pretty busy. Love the beers and appreciate a good cocktail menu, sometimes it's either or. Pretty limited food selection, but that's not a bad idea at the start. My "philly" burrito sure seemed like it had some kind of teriyaki sauce though.

The hipster fog was thick, we were the oldest folks there until some septuagenarian with a beard to the navel and a dog on a leash came in. Not that we mind. And thank god the music was ironic 70's instead of buzz beach ball bands.

I really hope they have a diverse movie queue and do matinees, I'd like to frequent the place. Wonderful addition to that block and likely a huge catalyst for future development.

Pretty sure there was a bahua sighting. Or cloning is now widespread.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

pash wrote:grove, is that the Monkees in your avatar?
I will not dignify that question with a response.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

Noticed today that work has started on the new Lead Bank location on Main (don't know the exact address). Steel has begun going up on the additional story they are adding.

taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Heavy.