2010 Kansas City Wizards

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
szazzy
Pad site
Pad site

Re: 2010 Kansas City Wizards

Post by szazzy »

KCPowercat wrote: Instead of Popeye how about "Were KC the sporting fans"
Good suggestion.

It seems inevitable that we'll end up singing about us all "sporting members".
szazzy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by szazzy »

Stage 2 of the MLS Re-Entry Draft today. It's a new draft for veteran players that can't come to agreement with their clubs on a new contract.

The 1st stage - every team had a chance at any player put on waivers, but they had to take their previous contract offer and give them a raise. Lots of older big names and big contracts in here so predictably, only a couple low wage players were taken and everyone else passed.

Stage 2 is basically claiming that player's rights. Each drafting team has to come to terms with the player or work out a trade.

Josh Wolff was taken 1st by DC United, and has already agreed to a contract.
Jimmy Conrad was taken 2nd by Chivas, no word on contract negotiations yet.
KC took Frankie Hejduk, former USMNTer but now 36. Presumably this is some cover in case the Harrington negotiations don't go well.
Juan Pablo Angel was selected by the Galaxy. If the Ronaldinho rumors are true, they could be fielding quite a big name lineup next season.

Both Conrad and Wolff are longtime KC players that toiled at Arrowhead and CAB. Kind of sad that they won't be able to take the field next year in the new stadium.
szazzy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by szazzy »

And we traded Hejduk's rights to LA for the rights to a younger midfielder, Luke Sassano. We still have to come to a contract agreement with him.
KC Kropf
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Kropf »

HUH?  ...  I don't get it.. why do you draft a player, then trade him straight up for a player drafted later in the same draft that you COULD have taken originally?  Buyers remorse? Side deal? 

Also - can't be a good thing that 2 of our players were the first 2 picks, right?  I mean, they were clearly valued to someone else?

Seriously don't get it... and I am coming from a "wanting to understand this sport and it's structure" perspective not a mocking or sarcastic tone.
On to the Next One
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KC Kropf wrote: HUH?  ...  I don't get it.. why do you draft a player, then trade him straight up for a player drafted later in the same draft that you COULD have taken originally?  Buyers remorse? Side deal? 

Also - can't be a good thing that 2 of our players were the first 2 picks, right?  I mean, they were clearly valued to someone else?

Seriously don't get it... and I am coming from a "wanting to understand this sport and it's structure" perspective not a mocking or sarcastic tone.
I am only guessing, but from my perspective, the Wizards needed to get a bit younger.  Letting those guys go clears up some salary space to either sign younger players or to get older name players from Europe and the non-US Americas.  Those were glue guys who will be great pickups for other teams, but you can't be competitive when your team is made up entirely of glue guys.  Better for them to be let go with a raise than to be straight dropped from the roster.

As for the Hejduk deal, your guess is as good as mine.  Perhaps they had second thoughts about bringing in an ancient player in soccer years.  I'm happier with the end result, but it is perplexing considering it was a straight swap with no cash or draft slots involved.
szazzy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by szazzy »

My guess is Hejduk made it clear in a few hours he was wanting to go home to LA and only would've signed with us for more money than we were willing to pay. He was a great one club guy in Columbus, and I could see him not really being down for playing for his old rival for 1-2 years, moving his family a couple times on what he'd be making these days. Otherwise, with no other compensation, it doesn't make sense.
szazzy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by szazzy »

KC Kropf wrote: HUH?  ...  I don't get it.. why do you draft a player, then trade him straight up for a player drafted later in the same draft that you COULD have taken originally?  Buyers remorse? Side deal?  

Also - can't be a good thing that 2 of our players were the first 2 picks, right?  I mean, they were clearly valued to someone else?

Vermes is trying to be Bellichek. Cutting players that become a drag on the salary cap/value curve and trying to replace them rather than paying too much. The Wizards might have liked to have negotiated new deals with both players, and had the week in between Stage 1 and 2 re-entry drafts to do so, but I'm guessing they'd made their mind up, or were too far off in salary expectations.

Wolff is from Georgia, so I imagine DC was attractive to him to the point he'd sign for a lesser number. Chivas probably thinks they can get LA native Jimmy to sign, or use his rights as trade bait. I'm guessing that's what the Wizards would've done this year if the re-entry draft hadn't been created - traded his rights (like they did Nick Garcia's) for draft picks. They would've owned his MLS rights even if they were out of contract which is unheard of in other leagues. I'd heard Conrad and Vermes butted heads constantly. He looked pissed at the Sporting KC unveiling probably because he knew he was already gone.

Everything MLS does is to sustain the single-entity model where all contracts are owned by one organization, the league, and avoid free agency - even if it means creating elaborate mechanisms like this to create some illusion of freedom for veterans. The main difference between this and the old way is that Wolff and Conrad, having not come to terms with the Wizards, would still have to have their rights bought by another team, creating another hurdle for a guy trying to get a new job with a team. It's helped a little that way. The other option is to sign in another league outside MLS - most don't have the skills or work permit status to get a job in another country that can pay and the lower leagues in the US are flailing in instability. Steve Ralston signed with AC St. Louis a division down rather than with the Revs last year - that team no longer exists despite a decent fan base for that level. 4-5000 fans a game or so.
Last edited by szazzy on Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
szazzy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by szazzy »

Announced yesterday - KC is playing host to the final games of Group C for the 2011 Gold Cup. There will be a double header on June 14th at the new stadium. Crossing my fingers that the US is placed in group C. Most people think Mexico will be in Group A, and if so, it gives us a 50/50 shot at the USMNT. Group C games will be hosted in Detroit, Tampa, and here.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

szazzy wrote: Announced yesterday - KC is playing host to the final games of Group C for the 2011 Gold Cup. There will be a double header on June 14th at the new stadium. Crossing my fingers that the US is placed in group C. Most people think Mexico will be in Group A, and if so, it gives us a 50/50 shot at the USMNT. Group C games will be hosted in Detroit, Tampa, and here.
Nevermind, found the answer. 

Arrowhead or Legends. 
szazzy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by szazzy »

KC-wildcat wrote: Nevermind, found the answer. 

Arrowhead or Legends. 
Yeah sorry, should've been more clear. When they announce the stadium naming rights, I'll know what to call it.

They announce the groups in February. If the US comes here, and you want to see them, it could be a tough ticket (depending on who we're playing). All season ticket holders will have the Gold Cup doubleheader included in their package as a "special game ticket".