kansas city sucks.

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: kansas city sucks.

Post by GRID »

chrizow wrote: every day i wake up and wish that KC had a new, publicly-subsidized 40-story convention hotel.  
Just an example of how long it takes KCMO to get anything done and I think it's a pretty damn good example myself.

Maybe they can delete the annual convention hotel study from the budget and pay JaCo the 2 million they owe for the TSC and at least keep the Chiefs and Royals in contract...
nilsson1941
New York Life
New York Life

Post by nilsson1941 »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: In terms of actual point-to-point getting around convenience I wouldn't count on a streetcar being vastly more efficient the the central spine MAX.  I don't know what your living/work situations are but you really can hit the vast chunk of interesting places fairly conveniently using this service. 
Yeah, the MAX is nice. And the Troost BRT will be good as well. But I don't think its really an argument as to whether a BRT service or streetcar is more efficient. The MAX is often times a little late and can get held up much easier. I know 2 of 3 minutes isn't much, but often times I am hurrying between school, work, and meeting a friend for lunch. In those situations it is nice to know exactly when the vehicle will be there (within a minute at least) and when the vehicle will arrive at my destination. Rail is way better at this. Pretty indisputable, I think
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

MAX is not BRT.  It's a city bus line and all these new "BRT" Lines are going to be the same thing. Building a BRT line is more than pouring a slab of concrete and setting pretty bus shelter on it.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

nilsson1941 wrote: Pretty indisputable, I think
Not street level rail - it still has to deal with the same traffic, intersections, pedestrians, etc.  The biggest slow down on the MAX is probably the on board ticketing - but you don't need rails to fix that problem.  
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

As one who has lived in the KC area for almost 59 years iwould say that KC does not suck.  Yes, on some issues it does but overall it does not.  i know kids (my own kids, their friends, children of our friends) who love the KC area, grown up here and plan to stay here.

Does the KC area have everything?  Well, I don't know what everything is but from my experiences it has just about everything that any other metro area this size has to offer.  But if you think overall that KC sucks then go ahead and move and move ASAP.  Don't need an attitude like that around.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: As one who has lived in the KC area for almost 59 years iwould say that KC does not suck.  Yes, on some issues it does but overall it does not.  i know kids (my own kids, their friends, children of our friends) who love the KC area, grown up here and plan to stay here.

Does the KC area have everything?  Well, I don't know what everything is but from my experiences it has just about everything that any other metro area this size has to offer.  But if you think overall that KC sucks then go ahead and move and move ASAP.  Don't need an attitude like that around.
What I've found, no matter where I've lived is that folks do pretty much the same things everywhere.
Work, eat, have families, have fun.
You still have to make a living in "Paradise", wherever that may be..  :lol: :cheers:
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

:shock:  :?  :(
Forbes Names KCMO 13th Most Miserable City

Forbes Magazine named Kansas City, Mo., as the 13th most miserable city in the U.S. in a report released Thursday.
http://www.kmbc.com/news/22599362/detail.html
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Just gonna jump in to say that I love KC and brag about it all the time in Washington, but I still don't live there...and transit is one HUGE reason why. 

KC lacks not only fast public transit, but every thing that should come with it.  In DC the Metro connects the city's major neighborhoods and a lot of its suburbs which really brings the metro together.  Using the subway you are able to go to different neighborhoods quickly and easily.  In KC you have to worry about your car, driving it and parking it (especially if you are going to a bar to get drunk!)  If KC got a transit system that was really fast and efficient (a subway would be the best option, although would probably never happen) it should lead to infill development and become more dense as new buildings would need less parking and everyone would want to be close to the metro etc.  Places that are now pretty dead, but have a lot of potential such as 31st and Troost would become new nodes if given a metro stop.  All of the cities unconnected nodes could become like a web connected by rail.  That is KC's problem.  Too many cool little individual neighborhoods that are unconnected.  With transit, the different neighborhoods could start working together, rather than work against each other.

On a typical day in DC I can wake up on the Hill, go to VA at some point for the gym, then in Chinatown at museum, be in Dupont for happy hour, then back on the hill all without a car or even really thinking about how much I am traveling around. 

It's not all about the transit, but also changing people's lifestyles and attitudes.  As more people find themselves on foot, the city would need to become more walkable.  This would include infill development and denser housing near metro stations. 

Imagine if there was a 'Wesport' station at 39th and Broadway.  39th could be redeveloped from Main to 'restaurant row'.  39th would become a major pedestrian corridor so building retail and housing up between Broadway and the Trafficway would just make since.  Then as you add that extra housing, people who move there might consider just living without a car.  This would reinforce the retail and the metro system.  If the city accepts this new way of living, the new growth can continue.  Then all of the sudden, Westport has grown to its full potential and KC starts to 'suck' a little less.
Last edited by Midtownkid on Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KCKev wrote: :shock:  :?  :(

Forbes Magazine named Kansas City, Mo., as the 13th most miserable city in the U.S. in a report released Thursday.
2009 Happiest States

http://www.livescience.com/culture/happ ... 00216.html

10. Kansas

34. Missouri
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

St. Louis was seventh!!

Miami and Chicago don't strike as particularly miserable places and they both ranked higher than us. And New York at 17? Really?

Not surprisingly, most of the other cities are either rust belt towns or California towns hit by the housing bubble.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i dont know why we continue to read and discuss forbes city lists.  it seems like a new one comes out every two days, and they are always complete bullshit. 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

We many be "miserable" but our "well being" is awesome!   :? :D
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

As far as I'm concerned, people in the world can continue to dislike and poopoo KC (to a point).  Stay away to keep our housing reasonable and quality of life high.  I can live in KC and still have the ability to take vacations, etc.  Works for me, we have a well kept secret here.  :)
nilsson1941
New York Life
New York Life

Post by nilsson1941 »

Midtownkid wrote: Just gonna jump in to say that I love KC and brag about it all the time in Washington, but I still don't live there...and transit is one HUGE reason why. 

KC lacks not only fast public transit, but every thing that should come with it.  In DC the Metro connects the city's major neighborhoods and a lot of its suburbs which really brings the metro together.  Using the subway you are able to go to different neighborhoods quickly and easily.  In KC you have to worry about your car, driving it and parking it (especially if you are going to a bar to get drunk!)  If KC got a transit system that was really fast and efficient (a subway would be the best option, although would probably never happen) it should lead to infill development and become more dense as new buildings would need less parking and everyone would want to be close to the metro etc.  Places that are now pretty dead, but have a lot of potential such as 31st and Troost would become new nodes if given a metro stop.  All of the cities unconnected nodes could become like a web connected by rail.  That is KC's problem.  Too many cool little individual neighborhoods that are unconnected.  With transit, the different neighborhoods could start working together, rather than work against each other.

On a typical day in DC I can wake up on the Hill, go to VA at some point for the gym, then in Chinatown at museum, be in Dupont for happy hour, then back on the hill all without a car or even really thinking about how much I am traveling around. 

It's not all about the transit, but also changing people's lifestyles and attitudes.  As more people find themselves on foot, the city would need to become more walkable.  This would include infill development and denser housing near metro stations. 

Imagine if there was a 'Wesport' station at 39th and Broadway.  39th could be redeveloped from Main to 'restaurant row'.  39th would become a major pedestrian corridor so building retail and housing up between Broadway and the Trafficway would just make since.  Then as you add that extra housing, people who move there might consider just living without a car.  This would reinforce the retail and the metro system.  If the city accepts this new way of living, the new growth can continue.  Then all of the sudden, Westport has grown to its full potential and KC starts to 'suck' a little less.
I agree 100% with everything you said. The only thing is, you made it sound maybe more complicated than it has to be. If we just had a couple of light rail lines and a few streetcar lines in the urban core, what you just said would happen.
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

They listed high taxes as being a reason for us to be miserable.  Maybe I'm mistaken, but doesn't KCMO have some of the lowest taxes around?  I know Missouri taxes are definitely low.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

A lot of these lists, or judgements, are based on limited perceptions.

Kansas City overall is a pretty good place to live. Compared to other parts of the country, the cost of living, buying a house, and even taxes are low. It is easy to get around--if one has a car.

My friends on the coasts are always shocked to find out how cheap a three-bedroom house sells for here. My retired uncle in New Jersey pines to pay our property taxes.

Some of the most-named reasons are not as bad as one would imagine. The Kansas City Public School District affects only one part of the City itself. Most of the Metro isn't served by the District, but it gets so much attention, many people think it affects the entire Metro. Not to downplay it though, the KCPSD works to depress a large portion of KCMO in Jackson County. It's like having 20 babies in a room. The one, loud, crying baby makes the room intolerable.

One has to remember that the situation in City government is time-specific. The controversy stems from the present Mayor and City Council. KCMO government didn't have the same level of controversy and havoc under Kay Barnes--just a few short years ago.  Cities can survive bad elected officials. It just takes one good mayor, and a decent council to set things right.

Yes, Kansas City suffers from the perception that mass transit is limited, or bad. Expanding the borders will only add to that problem. A city can overcome that problem by centering mass transit along specific development corridors, building new housing there, and make those transit districts function well.  Over time, people who demand good mass transit will move to those parts of the city.  Jobs tend to follow. In New York City, people factor transportation costs into their job and housing decisions. Kansas City suffers from being so spread out. That's why it's important to designate a central core and focus on developing that part.

There are plenty of good restaurants here. The problem is that they are just so spread out.
There is no fifth destination.
Downtowner
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Downtowner »

Midtownkid wrote: Just gonna jump in to say that I love KC and brag about it all the time in Washington, but I still don't live there...and transit is one HUGE reason why. 

No doubt, light rail in KC would be great. But the price of housing in DC far outweighs any benefit presented by light rail.  A friend of mine there said people were spending 60-70% of their income on rent or mortgage. They have no extra cash for eating out or any extras. So the question comes down to: Would you rather have a really cool, affordable home or an easy way to get around?
nilsson1941
New York Life
New York Life

Post by nilsson1941 »

Downtowner wrote: No doubt, light rail in KC would be great. But the price of housing in DC far outweighs any benefit presented by light rail.  A friend of mine there said people were spending 60-70% of their income on rent or mortgage. They have no extra cash for eating out or any extras. So the question comes down to: Would you rather have a really cool, affordable home or an easy way to get around?
It's just sad when your cities biggest asset is that its cheap...
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Downtowner wrote: No doubt, light rail in KC would be great. But the price of housing in DC far outweighs any benefit presented by light rail.  A friend of mine there said people were spending 60-70% of their income on rent or mortgage. They have no extra cash for eating out or any extras. So the question comes down to: Would you rather have a really cool, affordable home or an easy way to get around?
It may seem like that to your friend, but people here (including myself) definitely go out and drink and eat at restaurants regardless of income.  lol.  My rent usually takes a little less than 50% of my income.  And in DC it doesn't matter if you are in the district, VA or MD, rent is going to be more than in KC.  That is just the way is its.  Why not have a cool house that isn't quite as affordable w/ a cool neighborhood and easy access to transit as opposed to a cheaper, bigger, easier to park at house with no real neighborhood and no real connections to other neighborhoods.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

forbes.com....we take 10 data items and make 10,000 lists out of them.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc