"Crime-free" zone around new library?

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
carfreekc
New York Life
New York Life

Post by carfreekc »

What do you think about the proposed "petty crime free" zone around the new library at 10th + Baltimore?

(Read the Star article for more info.http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 560775.htm )
Prosecutors and business leaders are working to keep people who will commit petty crimes near the new downtown library from returning to the area.

Officials say banning aggressive panhandlers, purse snatchers and other minor criminals will help redevelopment when the library opens March 15 at 10th Street and Baltimore Avenue. But civil libertarians and social service advocates say the proposal unfairly focuses on the homeless.

It's "draconian and unbalanced," said Evie Craig, director of the reStart Inc. homeless shelter downtown.

The library is often critical for homeless people who use its computers to search for jobs or contact family, she said.

Under the proposal, city and county judges and prosecutors would require offenders who commit crimes in the library area to stay blocks away from the building as part of their probations, or face jail, said Jackson County Prosecutor Mike Sanders.
Interestingly enough, the zone would include the 10th + Main transit plaza, but no mention was made of it in the article.
Officials plan to have a new policy in place before the library opens. It would apply to blocks from Wyandotte to Main, and Eighth to 12th streets, said Sean O'Byrne, director of the Downtown Community Improvement District.
Will the Kansas City Club ban white-collar criminals from its surroundings in the zone?
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Downtown has a pretty large homeless community and good or bad, they will be slowly run out by the growing population of taxpayers. I do think this proposal is too selective towards the homeless but drug dealing at the old library is a major problem. It's difficult for them to deal with and they are reaching for anything when the new library opens.

One thing the library could require is that you must have a library card to use the computers, etc. or even enter the building. They could also donate old computers to a homeless center and refer non-taxpaying homeless people with crime history to the centers. Hmm.. that sounds draconian too.

What else can be done about the severe drug dealing and petty crime around the current library?
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

ignatius wrote:Downtown has a pretty large homeless community and good or bad, they will be slowly run out by the growing population of taxpayers. I do think this proposal is too selective towards the homeless but drug dealing at the old library is a major problem. It's difficult for them to deal with and they are reaching for anything when the new library opens.

One thing the library could require is that you must have a library card to use the computers, etc. or even enter the building. They could also donate old computers to a homeless center and refer non-taxpaying homeless people with crime history to the centers. Hmm.. that sounds draconian too.

What else can be done about the severe drug dealing and petty crime around the current library?
Selective towards the homeless? I dont see how. If the homeless obeyed the law, they would have no problems. Its not like they are banning the homeless from using the library. They just dont want thieves and annoying pan handlers bothering the other people, like us. All it takes is to obey the law. I dont care if there are a thousand homeless hanging out in the library as long as they dont hassle me for money, and try to steal my wallet.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

As a former worker at the current Main Library, I think this idea is very good and long overdue. It's not draconian or biased to enforce existing laws. Homeless people who obey the law and library rules are free to use the library just like anyone else. Homelessness and panhandling is obviously a part of any urban environment, but crimes like harassment, pubilc intoxication and urination, drug use and dealing, etc. don't have to be tolerated.
LyRiCaL GanGsTa

Post by LyRiCaL GanGsTa »

It's "draconian and unbalanced," said Evie Craig, director of the reStart Inc. homeless shelter downtown.
She isn't right.... walking passed the library has always been sad for me. I see people out front acting like idiots, it's time we clean up our downtown once and for all. We need to enforce the law...simple.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

People who are obeying the law and minding their own business have the right to go to any public space they want.

However, people who are breaking the law and/or harrassing others need to be either in jail or in shelters. I'm all for this move.

As the taxpaying population increases in the core I wonder what area the displaced homeless will move on to? Same with the homless camps down by the river, when that trail opens and as the parka around it is developed the people living there aren't likely going to be staying.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

Evie Craig doesnt know what she is talking about. I dont want to live in a world where it is ok for people to break the law as long as they are homeless. Even less fortunate individuals can obey the law. Hell in the examples given those things are common sense. No one wants to be harrassed for money while hanging out in a library. No one wants their purse snatched by a homeless person in the library. According to Evie, we should let it slide because they are homeless. Im sure the city weants other crimes to not happen at the library either such as murder and rape. If someone labeled the area as a murder free zone and then someone said that because of that the police are targeting black people, I would slap them.

KCK IS BACK!!!!
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Well, if they'll be profiling, that's another issue, and doesn't match what carfreekc posted. I am all for the proposal. Just like when you're in jail and you can't vote, if you get convicted of a crime, you've essentially waived your right to enter the new library.

Also, even if it does include the 10th & Main plaza, I see no problem with it. Why should the transit system welcome crime?

Yeah on second thought, I don't think it's such a great idea. I do agree that the panhandling has to stop, but that's just a symptom of a greater problem(poverty) that the city sees as incurable. Prosperity will fix the area better than any "crackdown."
kcteen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kcteen »

this is a great idea. the new library's crime problems out front can be downright scary...especially when one has to walk alone to the parking lot out back and get harrased along the way.

This cannot be happening in downtown.

I dont think it unfairly targets the homeless at all. Like previously stated, as long as people follow the laws, homeless or not, they won't be affected by this new law.

I also think the library should go as far as putting aditional foot officers in the new district, at least at the start.

I agree with bahua about 10th and Main. No use having criminals and panhandlers not obeying the law scarying people away from using the metro.

kcTeen
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

This will stop crime in the area about as well as drug laws have stopped Americans from doing drugs.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

bahua wrote:I do agree that the panhandling has to stop, but that's just a symptom of a greater problem(poverty) that the city sees as incurable. Prosperity will fix the area better than any "crackdown."
I agree that the problem must be dealt with. One of the more unpleasant aspects of going to the downtown library is the homeless people that congregate there. One feels nervous entering the place at times.

However, I don't think prosperity is going to solve the homeless problem. Why? Because a large portion of the homeless population have mental health or substance abuse problems. Putting them in a shelter or jail won't solve that problem. Jails don't provide substance abuse or mental health treatment. When the inmates are released back into the public, they have the same problems as they did going in. There is also the problem of the jail population algorithm--when the jail population reaches a certain number, they have to let some of them out.

Many homeless with substance abuse or mental problems are not in the position or frame of mind to help themselves. In addition, they can't be forced into treatment without their consent. When they panhandle, arresting them and sending them to jail is not a punishment. At least there they are warm, clean, have a bed, and have something free to eat for a few days. It is not a deterrent.

The only way to truly solve the homeless problem is to provide treatment for mental illness and substance abuse. Civil libertarians also say that having drug problems or being mentally ill is not a crime, and that people in the US are free to be homeless if they want.

However, I disagree with this argument. In many ways, people with these problems are not able to make good judgements about their well-being. Mental illness and drug addiction limits one's ability to care for oneself, and make good choices. We don't let people with Alzheimer's freely wander the streets and sleep under freeway bridges. Just because people refuse help doesn't mean they don't need it. Schizophrenics sometimes refuse to take their medication. However, those who do refuse, and commit crimes as a result, can be forced into drug testing by a court order.

People cannot be forced into treatment until they are a danger to themselves or others. As we have seen recently, a couple of homeless people froze to death from sleeping on the streets. That appears to me to be a dangerous choice.

These "ill" homeless are much different that homeless who have lost a job or been evicted. Unemployed homeless can at least get day work at employment agencies, and have some hope of lifting themselves back up from homelessness.

I don't think we do any kindness to mentally ill and substance abusing homeless by letting them wander freely about. They are less capable of returning to society on their own, and we are essentially enabling them to continue to be homeless by not helping them.

On the topic of mentally ill homeless especially, we would not let small children live outdoors and wander about freely. Well, many mentally-ill people are not competent any more than a child would be, yet we let them be homeless. This problem stems from the deinstitutionalization of the mentally-ill in the 1970s. I'm not saying that mental hospitals were the most ideal place for anyone, but it was just irresponsible to release people into society whom were not capable of caring for themselves. There are a lot of people in nursing homes who don't want to be there either, but they must because of infirmity or illness.

I've always thought that people who use the civil liberties argument to defend homelessness of substance abusers or the mentally-ill are people who are unwilling to deal with the problem. I'm not saying that homelessness is a crime; I'm just saying that people with impaired judgement and no place to live are not competent to make sound choices--and are likely to resort to criminal activity as a result. If they don't bother anyone. Fine. But if they commit crime, and their condition is believed to be the cause of their crime, then they should forfeit their ability to consent to treatment or not. A good example of this that society already uses is the situation of repeat drunk drivers losing their driver's license. Society doesn't allow people with alcohol problems to operate motor vehicles legally.

As in all situations, there will be exceptions to my argument. That is why a judge or jury should make the decision after hearing arguments for and against.

One way of dealing with panhandling by people claiming to be hungry--but whom are really attempting to get money for drugs and alcohol--is to have police direct them to soup kitchens run by charities, or give them a small voucher to buy food only (like food stamps). The first time police catch them panhandling, this is done. Then, everytime after that, they are arrested and put into the rehab. system after a judge or jury determines their status. If an individual repeatly returns to the same area to panhandle, a restraining order is written for a particular area. Then, if they return there within 180 days without court or police approval (like if they need to visit a clinic or government office in the area), they are arrested and sent back into the system again.

If any of my ideas are ill-conceived, I'm open to hearing about other alternatives that will better deal with the specific situation of the mentally ill and substance abusing homeless. I'm just thinking out loud.
There is no fifth destination.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Since there are some homeless who will not stay in shelters because they are considered dangerous, or because of theft, I've always thought that vacant motels or hospitals could be used to house them. It would allow them to have separate rooms that could be locked, and some privacy. They could sleep without worry of being assaulted or robbed. Families of homeless could be kept together--instead of separating males and females. Former hospitals especially are well-suited for this since they offer individual rooms with baths, and also the facility has a cafeteria and laundry facilities. The individual rooms already are set up with phones so that homeless who need a phone to get work, have one.

Because of the layout of a hospital, residents could also be separated by category: substance abusers; mentally-ill; regular homeless; as well as separating each category in cases of individuals convicted of criminal behavior: substance abusers with criminal records; mentally-ill with criminal records; regular homeless with criminal records. They are also better equipped to deal with problem homeless who are violent, anti-social, or disruptive to other homeless who are following rules. These individuals often are kicked out of regular shelters. If a resident shows up drunk or high, they can be isolated from the rest of the population, and not turned back out into the streets.

Hospitals also have areas that could be used for support groups and group therapy, as well as provide offices for auxilliary social and health services.

On a lighter note--and in jest, I often wonder if it would be more productive to "hassle" panhandlers and congregating homeless out of downtown. Constantly being approached by police officers, or roving bands of fundamentalist Christians who seek to convert them, might do the trick. I wish the Jehovah's Witness community would spend more time doing this than showing up unannounced at people's homes. After all, no one stays in a place where they are constantly hassled by others.

:p
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

One of the big reasons that there are mentally ill homeless is the lack of treatment facilities. When the move was on to close state hospitals, the goal was to move these folks into group homes and small community facilities that were more "humane". Then of course, the government chose not to fund these community resources, and the folks were literally turned out onto the streets with no support at all. Kansas shut down a lot of state run facilities for the mentally ill, but failed to provide adequate alternatives for these poor folks. It is really sad.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I'm surprised that the cities haven't sued the states for not funding services, and creating urban social problems. It's sort of like a state deciding it will save money by releasing all inmates from state prisons, and shutting them down.
carfreekc
New York Life
New York Life

Post by carfreekc »

FangKC wrote:On a lighter note--and in jest, I often wonder if it would be more productive to "hassle" panhandlers and congregating homeless out of downtown. Constantly being approached by police officers, or roving bands of fundamentalist Christians who seek to convert them, might do the trick. I wish the Jehovah's Witness community would spend more time doing this than showing up unannounced at people's homes. After all, no one stays in a place where they are constantly hassled by others.

:p
"no one stays in a place where they are constantly hassled by others" won't be limited to panhandlers....at least beggars aren't trying to "save" me.

But then if there are enough of them [Christians] trying to save my cranky agnostic soul, I'll probably eventually go off on one of them while I'm waiting for a bus at 10th+Main and be charged with disturbing the peace or some such and then be banned from the "petty crime free zone" and the library. :wink:
carfreekc
New York Life
New York Life

Post by carfreekc »

DeadManWalking wrote:No one wants to be harrassed for money while hanging out in a library. No one wants their purse snatched by a homeless person in the library. According to Evie, we should let it slide because they are homeless. Im sure the city weants other crimes to not happen at the library either such as murder and rape. If someone labeled the area as a murder free zone and then someone said that because of that the police are targeting black people, I would slap them.
Well, why not also include rapists and murderers in this "crime-free zone"? Or why not ban them from the areas of their crimes? Why not include drunk drivers, or hell, just plain sober drivers who kill people in crosswalks because of careless driving? They shouldn't be able to use public space in the form of streets any more than the people they want banned from the library, a.k.a. the scene of their crimes. What about white-collar criminals?

(Also interesting that the current library is a block away from the police station and these crime problems haven't been dealt with effectively.)
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

carfreekc wrote: Well, why not also include rapists and murderers in this "crime-free zone"? Or why not ban them from the areas of their crimes? Why not include drunk drivers, or hell, just plain sober drivers who kill people in crosswalks because of careless driving? They shouldn't be able to use public space in the form of streets any more than the people they want banned from the library, a.k.a. the scene of their crimes. What about white-collar criminals?

(Also interesting that the current library is a block away from the police station and these crime problems haven't been dealt with effectively.)
I have no problem with ex cons hanging out at the library. My problem is panhandlers.

In KCK panhandlers make it so I detest visiting downtown. Last week I was out taking photos and was confronted by at least 5 panhandlers who annoyed the shit out of me, and if I had been a woman, might have scared the shit out of me. They all wanted either money, or a ride. They looked and acted like crack heads, and couldn't understand the word "no" unless I threatened them. 3 of the five seemed to be either mentally and/or physically disabled, but their apparent drug use/gambling problems weren't helping. Really I see no coincidence in that Im walking around downtown KCK near that little shack they call a Casino, and 2 guys asking me for money.

Im a very big guy and these people didn't even fuck with me, but I don't know what my little sister would do in the same situation having lived in the suburbs most of her life. Actually she probably would never go to the downtown KCK library alone.

KCK IS BACK!!!!
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Carfree, I was just using that example to demonstrate that only someone more annoying than panhandlers could drive them out of downtown. Using such an extreme example illustrates how difficult it is to solve the problem. Fundamentalist Christians seeking to convert people were the only example I could think of. I didn't mean to imply that they'd approach you. :lol:

The only other good example I've since come up with is the comedian, Carrot Top.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

DeadManWalking wrote:
In KCK panhandlers make it so I detest visiting downtown. Last week I was out taking photos and was confronted by at least 5 panhandlers who annoyed the shit out of me, and if I had been a woman, might have scared the shit out of me.

Im a very big guy and these people didn't even fuck with me, but I don't know what my little sister would do in the same situation having lived in the suburbs most of her life. Actually she probably would never go to the downtown KCK library alone.
DMW, I agree that it is less than ideal. People don't realize the number of people that avoid an area because of perceptions like that. You can't have a successful downtown business district or attract needed residents if people think they'll be harrassed all the time.

Again, I repeat my assertion that KC leaders must insist that police officers be walking the streets of downtown regularly, and be highly visible. Panhandlers can be cited for loitering at the very least. Hell, one evening I was standing on the corner of 12th and Baltimore taking photos of the Power and Light Building's tower lit up. I was waiting for a certain sequence in the lighting to appear (since it changes). I hadn't been there more than 2-3 minutes. A security guard from City Center came out and told me I was trespassing and that if I didn't leave, she'd call the cops. I wasn't even on the City Center property, and I certainly didn't appear homeless.

I told the guard that it was fine with me if she called the cops ("knock yourself out"). I was standing on the public right-of-way (sidewalk). I also informed her that photography wasn't (yet) illegal in this country, and that earlier that evening I'd taken photos of City Hall, the JC Courthouse, and the downtown police headquarters in full-sight of police officers. They didn't do a thing about it. I also said that by the time the KC Police responded, I'd be at home heating up my dinner. :P

My point is that even a cop would say that I wasn't loitering. Apparently, some education needs to occur among security guards because it doesn't make sense that I would be reprimanded for taking photos, while panhandlers (who are actually bothering people) aren't. When one stands at the same corner for 30 minutes approaching people for money, that's loitering.

Police and security guards working downtown must be able to use common sense to tell the difference. We want the panhandling to stop, but we don't want to put off law-abiding residents or visitors. The fact that someone like that didn't know the difference was astounding to me.

I'm going to take this opportunity to relate a tale of life in Manhattan pre-Mayor Guiliani. Panhandlers used to approach people sitting on the street in sidewalk cafes, and--while they were eating--ask them for money. On occasion, they were so agressive, they would brazenly snatch bits of food off their plates.

After Guiliani was elected, that stopped because Guiliani put cops back on the streets walking the neighborhood. Panhandlers were arrested over and over until they stopped doing it. Guiliani also expanded low-income housing efforts in the city so that homeless people were placed in a room or apartment. He did this by fixing up abandoned, tax-delinquent buildngs. He justified the expense by citing the loss of commerce the city was suffering because the panhandlers and homeless ruled the streets. He said it was cheaper (in the long run) to find housing for them, than it was to continue losing money (and taxes) from businesses fleeing the city, and from people who wanted to come to the city and spend their money, but were put off by previous experiences. He justified the spending to the business community, and also pleased homeless advocates.

The city needs to solve this problem now, before KC Live opens.
carfreekc
New York Life
New York Life

Post by carfreekc »

FangKC wrote:Fundamentalist Christians seeking to convert people were the only example I could think of. I didn't mean to imply that they'd approach you. :lol:

The only other good example I've since come up with is the comedian, Carrot Top.
That's ok Fang, fundamentalist Christians already do approach me downtown. :evil: ha

Oh god, Carrot Top is annoying enough to scare even the most in-your-face panhandler away! Either that or they'd just face assault charges.