Barber

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Barber

Post by dangerboy »

OK dudes, I'm in need of a new barber. Any recommendations? I'm looking for someone anywhere between Midtown and Waldo. Preferrebly a real old-school barber, not a stylist, if there are any left. Thanks.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Barber

Post by KCPowercat »

Only good one I know of is Gillis in City Market....old school. I've never been to him yet, I always seem to go to Footlights in Westport...they are good but it's more like a Great Clips type of place.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Barber

Post by bahua »

I go to Southwest at 75th and Wornall. It's right by work for me, and also right by Fin's Waldo Bar, where my shift goes on Friday mornings after a long week.

It's an old-man barber shop, with excellent prices and knowledgeable folks. Give it a try.
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Barber

Post by DiggityDawg »

Before I shaved all my hair off I used to go to Vince at the Esquire Barber Shop. It's on Broadway about a block north of the Uptown Theatre. VERY old school barber shop run by 2 brothers. Vince is a good guy.
carfreekc
New York Life
New York Life

Barber

Post by carfreekc »

My roommate was going to the barber shop in Brookside on 63rd St. I think it's been a barber shop since the Brookside shops opened. ("Was" only because he bought clippers to shave his own head since he kept getting it buzzed closer and closer to counteract the balding horseshoe effect.)
Brooksider
Strip mall
Strip mall

Barber

Post by Brooksider »

I go to the Brookside barber shop. They charge $14.
Suburban Sprawl - Cut down all of the trees and name the streets after them.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Barber

Post by ignatius »

I have a blind barber. Well in one eye anyway. The one next to Nichols. He's kinda losin' it but I've seen him too long to stop. Trippey experiences nevertheless. Just don't visit him during Xena: Princess Warrior. He'll only cut your hair during commercials. Sometimes he's not in and you have to go to Nichols and find him... sit down with him and buy his pie. You also need to watch him. A customer once came back in and said, 'you forgot to cut this side of my head!'

I've written a story about him and Nichols for a jazz publication in Chicago.
carfreekc
New York Life
New York Life

Barber

Post by carfreekc »

ignatius wrote:I have a blind barber. ...
I've written a story about him and Nichols for a jazz publication in Chicago.
Online, by any chance, or short enough for you to post here? I'd like to read it.
Royals Fan

Barber

Post by Royals Fan »

I would like to read it too. I'm a jazz musician.