Lawrence cell phone ban would be strictest

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Lawrence cell phone ban would be strictest

Post by kard »

Not so much development news, but interesting.

The proposed Lawrence ordinance — up for discussion Monday by the Traffic Safety Commission — would ban the use of both hand-held cell phones and hands-free cell phone devices by motorists.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2006/jun/0 ... city_local

T-Mobile made a response stating there are other distractions we have to deal with such as the hot coffee and kids in the back seat.  I dislike people yaking on their phones but I think this is a little over the top.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Lawrence cell phone ban would be strictest

Post by voltopt »

what about in car dvd players?
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

voltopt wrote: what about in car dvd players?
That might actually help the driver by turning the kids in the back into zombies.  :D
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

Kard wrote: Not so much development news, but interesting.

The proposed Lawrence ordinance — up for discussion Monday by the Traffic Safety Commission — would ban the use of both hand-held cell phones and hands-free cell phone devices by motorists.

T-Mobile made a response stating there are other distractions we have to deal with such as the hot coffee and kids in the back seat.  I dislike people yaking on their phones but I think this is a little over the top.
I assume that there will be a ban on passengers soon as well since studies have shown that conversation whether on cell phones or with passengers is equally distracting.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I assume that there will be a ban on passengers soon as well since studies have shown that conversation whether on cell phones or with passengers is equally distracting.
That's a weak argument. Obviously banning passengers is way over the line. Just because there are other distractions doesn't mean we can't clamp down on a distraction that is easily overcome by just not talking on the phone.

Seems like a reasonable ordinance to me.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

I'll stop using my cell phone in the car just as soon as the government makes illegal for women to apply makeup while driving. 

The real issue is distracted driving.  Cell phones are just one of many causes of distraction, but they get the majority of the blame.  I blame the media.  They are very quick to hype an accident caused by someone talking on the phone, but not if the driver was applying makeup, changing the cd player, shaving, etc.
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

KCMax wrote: That's a weak argument. Obviously banning passengers is way over the line. Just because there are other distractions doesn't mean we can't clamp down on a distraction that is easily overcome by just not talking on the phone.

Seems like a reasonable ordinance to me.
Max, I though if anybody would pick up the sarcasm, you would be one of them... :(  Of course I do not think passengers should be banned but this would open up the door for infringements on reading magazines, putting on make-up, road sex, eating, etc... :)
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Who the hell shaves while driving?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Sorry, my saracsm meter is broken. Anyone know a reputable midtown mechanic?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

lock&load wrote: Who the hell shaves while driving?
Just look at a guy with a carved up face and you'll more than likely get that answered.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Kard wrote: Not so much development news, but interesting.

The problem with a cell phone is you have to take your eyes off the road AND engage your hands.  Their negative impact on safety is well documented.  In most European countries, cell phones are banned while driving and people just pull off the road or onto to a side street if they need to make/receive a call.  I'm all for the ban, should have been done along time ago and everywhere.  Personally, I think driving should be taken absolutely seriously; most of us drive like it's the second most important thing we are doing at the time. 
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

some kid got hit and/or killed in lawrence today on mass street by someone yacking on the phone. and the hearing for this proposal is tonight. i'd bet money it'll pass.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

KCMax wrote: Sorry, my saracsm meter is broken. Anyone know a reputable midtown mechanic?
i know you arent making fun of me -

kudos if you are.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

stupid law.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

sounds reasonable to me.  stats show that someone talking on the phone is as dangerous as someone with a BAC over the legal limit.  it seems reasonable to me that a govt entity would issue such a traffic safety law.

before widespread cell phone use, people got along just fine without yakking on the phone while they drove.  now, if there is an emergency, by all means use the phone, but most people are just talking to pass the time and are really dangerous.  driving is dangerous enough as it is.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

as others have said, until they get rid of all the other distractions that cause more accidents, I see no need for this...especially the hands-free part.....i can almost get down with regular cell phone use ban....hands free is nothing more than talking to somebody sitting right next to you.

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

what other distractions cause more accidents?  other than alcohol? 

the logic doesn't follow.  "we shouldn't ban cell phones until we ban other things too."  wtf?  it's not all or nothing.  if the city thinks cell phones are dangerous, they should ban them.  if it turns out that people cause lots of accidents because they are lighting their cigarettes or changing cd's?  ban that too.  i imagine talking on the cell phone is probably the single largest distractor at the moment, more so than other things. 
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

I gotta take this time to say that I am one talented mutha f*cka...  Today near Hartsfield-Jackson airport on I-85, I had a triple venti no foam, non-fat latte in one hand that was steering the car, my cell phone wedeged between my shoulder and ear, AND shifting gears while getting on a freeway.  I actually wish I was lying about that but its true.  Lawrence could have used this image to promote the ban or at least I could have gotten on World's Biggest Dumbasses or something like it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

chriz....I'm ok with a cell phone ban but the hands free ban is way over the line...at least to me.

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

The most dangerous thing about mobile phone use in a vehicle is dialing a number for those that don't habitually use voice dial and/or one number speed dial.

It's not the talking part that is dangerous, as KCP mentioned, as long as it's the hand's free variety.

Unfortunately, there are waaay too many folks that lean on the arm rest and talk talk talktalktalk while cruising down the freeway, never bothering to check for vehicles next to them while changing lanes at will w/o using signals and such.
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze