OFFICIAL: Professional Building

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

We don't really have a topic running for this, so here it is.

There was some good news on the development of this 16 story building in this week's Business Journal. Alexander Co. expects to start construction this year on 132 units that will be 2/3s "affordable" apartment units that will be income restricted.

Good news for Grand blvd.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Last edited by Deleted User on Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I'm glad something is finally happening as well. When they tore the parking garage down on McGee, I saw all those back windows and realized what a great apartment building that will be. It will sure be nice to see that exterior spruced up. I'm also glad they are buying the Gates City Building and converting the upper floors to residential. That is icing on the cake. I was worried that building would be demolished.

Isn't Alexander Co. also going to renovate the 1006 Grand Building? I hope they do apartments in that one as well. Now if we could just get the Law Building renovation started.
There is no fifth destination.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Good news on this building.

I just drove by it, and the backside of the building (where the garage used to be) is sporting a construction elevator like the one that is on the President Hotel. It is about time this building gets fixed up, because they've been talking about it for what seems 5 years.

KCDowntown
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Eventually, it would be great if a parking garage to service the Professional Building was constructed on the vacant lot to the east--with an apartment or commercial tower on top of the garage. That way, Shopper's Parkage could finally be demolished. That entire block could be cleared. It would be an ideal location for Great Plains / Kansas City Power & Light's new headquarters building.
There is no fifth destination.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Professional Building (1103 Grand Boulevard)

Post by voltopt »

I'm not sure if this is posted elsewhere on the forum, but i'm sure it is.
i was downtown today at the DCA and notice the Midland Wrecking debris tubes coming out of the top floor of the Professional Buidling...
worried that it was being torn down, i looked at the kcmo.org website, and found this on the BZA (board of zoning adjustments)  website...

In the Council Chamber on the 26th Floor of City Hall, 414 E. 12th Street, Kansas City, Missouri, the Board of Zoning Adjustment will hold a public hearing on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 commencing at 12:30 P.M. to consider the following matters. You may contact City Planning and Development at (816) 513-2846 for further information.

DOCKET
BOARD OF ZONING ADJUSTMENT
May 10, 2005

NEW CASES

2 BP 2. Case No. 13356-A – 1103 Grand Boulevard – Request for variances to the minimum required front, side, and rear yard setbacks of a principal structure, a variance to the maximum allowable gross floor area, and a variance to the minimum required lot area; all to allow for the existing commercial building to remain and to allow for the conversion of the building to 132 multi family units, plus any other necessary variances.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Professional Building (1103 Grand Boulevard)

Post by KCDowntown »

I think that everything is still on with this building.  I believe the wrecking crew there now was tasked with cleaning out the building so actual construction could begin.

KCDowntown
kid a
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kid a »

voltopt wrote: I'm not sure if this is posted elsewhere on the forum, but i'm sure it is.
i was downtown today at the DCA and notice the Midland Wrecking debris tubes coming out of the top floor of the Professional Buidling...
worried that it was being torn down, i looked at the kcmo.org website, and found this on the BZA (board of zoning adjustments)  website...

In the Council Chamber on the 26th Floor of City Hall, 414 E. 12th Street, Kansas City, Missouri, the Board of Zoning Adjustment will hold a public hearing on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 commencing at 12:30 P.M. to consider the following matters. You may contact City Planning and Development at (816) 513-2846 for further information.

DOCKET
BOARD OF ZONING ADJUSTMENT
May 10, 2005

that building i s being renovated!!  no need to worry about. i heard that they will be installing some cool art deco lights on the front to highlight it. the empty lot behind will become a  parking lot for  that building.

NEW CASES

2 BP 2. Case No. 13356-A – 1103 Grand Boulevard – Request for variances to the minimum required front, side, and rear yard setbacks of a principal structure, a variance to the maximum allowable gross floor area, and a variance to the minimum required lot area; all to allow for the existing commercial building to remain and to allow for the conversion of the building to 132 multi family units, plus any other necessary variances.

:D
kid a
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kid a »

that building i s being renovated!!  no need to worry about. i heard that they will be installing some cool art deco lights on the front to highlight it. the empty lot behind will become a  parking lot for  that building.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

thanks!

the BZA page is a good tool to find possible upcoming development...
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
diamond
Pad site
Pad site

Post by diamond »

does anyone know who is doing the conversion?  Is it going to be rentals or sales?
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

diamond wrote: does anyone know who is doing the conversion?  Is it going to be rentals or sales?
The Alexander Co. of Madison, Wisconsin is doing the work:

http://www.alexandercompany.com/modules ... .php?id=28

From what I've heard, they will be rental units.
A fool and your money are soon united.
DNA
Pad site
Pad site

Post by DNA »

The Board of Zoning Adjustment on May 10 granted the necessary variances to allow the building to remain and to allow for the building's rehab to 132 residential apartment units and 5,765 gross square feet of commercial space.

The Downtown Neighborhood Association was represented at the public hearing and supported the developer's request.
Downtown Neighborhood Association (DNA) - The building block of a community.
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

There is an article in the Star about construction being started on this project.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 847819.htm

One thing that caught my eye in the article....  It mentions that "additional parking will be on a lot adjoining the building to the south." That's where the Gate City/Club Chemical building is located. It's the one with the big columns in the facade. Does anyone know the status of that building?
A fool and your money are soon united.
driver 8
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by driver 8 »

I read about this in the Star yesterday. The rent rates are very reasonable. Two bedroom lofts avg 1,100 sq ft and range from $650 to $900 a month. I might have to check this place out when it's completed.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

gladstoner....the owners of that building are talking condos....not for a few years though
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Cleaning of terra cotta begun on both sides and new windows going in.  What a difference, this is a jazz age gem getting polished back into a beauty.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

Good lord, that building was nasty! I can't believe the terra cotta is cleaning up as well as it is.  Big difference.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Awesome shot showing the cleaned areas vs the nasty areas.  Great project!

Every time a see a project like this, I am amazed at just how bad our downtown got, just incredible.