Voting Experiences

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Voting Experiences

Post by staubio »

I voted on Westport Road - not far from the state line. There were no anti arena folks present at 7:15 and turnout was massive. People were flowing in and out of the place like crazy.

Reports on the radio say that most of the Enterprise lackies are standing around complaining. The passion is definately on our side. Let us all know about your experience with these guys. I had my eloquent speech to take the wind out of their sails all ready and had nobody to give it to.

On the way to work, there were a few anti folks at polling places along Ward Parkway with no opposition. Minutes later, 810 was reading the locations on the air and had people on the way. We're all over this.

How was your voting experience?
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Voting Experiences

Post by dangerboy »

One CAAT guy at the Westport-Roanoke Community Center. I asked him how the weather was in St. Louis, but this guy was actually from KC. No pro-arena people.

Turnout was steady while I was there, but the line was only 5-6 people long. Jamie Metzl and Beth Low were also there shaking hands.
AimlessLad
Strip mall
Strip mall

Voting Experiences

Post by AimlessLad »

I voted downtown at the Cathedral on 12th street. There was one pro-arena person and two anti-arena people. The anti-people took one look at my glare, and knew better than to talk to me.

No lines inside, although it was fairly brisk traffic. One clued-in director and several absolutely clueless volunteers...I pity them if it gets really busy later.
scooterj
Ambassador

Voting Experiences

Post by scooterj »

I voted about 7:30 at the Don Bosco center, there was only a trickle of people there at the time. One pro person in the parking lot who looked bored, no anti people. The rest of the people handing out info were just people supporting various Democrat candidates.

After voting I checked my ballot for hanging chads (;)) and got nervous when I found two punches below the numbered area. But I hand checked to make sure all the right holes were punched and realized the two off the bottom just identify the precinct. :)
Gorlock
Strip mall
Strip mall

Voting Experiences

Post by Gorlock »

I voted at St Anthony's Church at the corner of Benton and Lexington. There was one anti-arena person there. She attempted to give me information. I politely said, "No, thank you."

There weren't any pro-arena people at my polling place around 7 am.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Voting Experiences

Post by ignatius »

I voted this morning along Mill Creek Park. There were two groups of people handing out flyers but I don't know what they were. Bigger turnout than I've seen in a while.
sethyg
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Voting Experiences

Post by sethyg »

Just got back from volunteering on Parvin road. One anti person there, not vocal at all. I'd say the vote was 50-50, with more pros coming in as the morning went on. A majority of voters were pretty set with how they were voting. Overall, not bad, but we need more pro people to vote!!!
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Voting Experiences

Post by dangerboy »

Any Northlanders run into Barnes or Danaher at Briarcliff Elementary? They live in the same precinct....
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Voting Experiences

Post by KCPowercat »

sethyg wrote:Just got back from volunteering on Parvin road. One anti person there, not vocal at all. I'd say the vote was 50-50, with more pros coming in as the morning went on. A majority of voters were pretty set with how they were voting. Overall, not bad, but we need more pro people to vote!!!
I agree with this, I think electioneering at the polls is pretty much a waste of time....people that take enough time to vote are going to know before walking in what they want to do.

Especially when they see anti people sitting down, not handing out stuff and reading the paper.

I did a drive around polling locations....enterprise has done a good job getting out everywhere but I didn't see anybody interested...when I drove by the Cathedral there were 2 people for 2 people against. I think the antis are wasting their time at the cathedral...who's going to vote no downtown???
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Voting Experiences

Post by tat2kc »

I voted at the liberty memorial. Quite an appropriate location for voting, it reminds people what the democratic process is about. No electioneering on either side. We voted in the auditorium, under the deck.

Aside from the arena debate, which is formost in people's minds, I found the experience of voting against a constitutional ammendment to restrict people's rights at the Liberty Memorial a very solemn event. I'm more than a little sad that, in all likelyhood, this ammendment restricting liberty is being voted on, at least in part, at a memorial dedicated to those who died to protect liberty. Quite ironic.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
scooterj
Ambassador

Voting Experiences

Post by scooterj »

What a cool place to vote!!
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Voting Experiences

Post by tat2kc »

scoot, you have not idea! parking, then walking down the slope past the fountians and reflecting pool, with the monument above you. It felt like you were doing something really important.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
Gorlock
Strip mall
Strip mall

Voting Experiences

Post by Gorlock »

I wish I could have voted at Liberty Memorial. That is so awesome! :D
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Voting Experiences

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah me too.....that would be awesome
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Voting Experiences

Post by DiggityDawg »

tat2kc wrote:I found the experience of voting against a constitutional ammendment to restrict people's rights at the Liberty Memorial a very solemn event. I'm more than a little sad that, in all likelyhood, this ammendment restricting liberty is being voted on, at least in part, at a memorial dedicated to those who died to protect liberty. Quite ironic.
Very well said.

I voted in my normal spot ( a church in the 3800 block of Wyandotte St. ) - there was 4-5 times the usual number of people there voting. The CATT goobers were outside, but they weren't doing anything. We laughed as we went past 'em. :P There was one pro-arena guy, handing out flyers. I went over & shook his hand.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Voting Experiences

Post by dangerboy »

Steve Kraske is discussing the election and taking calls on 89.3 right now. The McCaskill/Holden and Cleaver/Metzl races seem to be driving a LOT of turnout.

A couple of people have pointed out that they had to drive over potholes while being asked to vote for the arena. Also some of suburbanites wishing they could vote on the arena.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Voting Experiences

Post by hartliss »

Man all of this talk is making me nervous. I am hearing good things but I feel like all of the bad publicity is evening things out. Maybe the vote will be a lanslide in favor of the arena. Maybe the campaign to destroy the arena has just instilled a lot of fear in us to make us think it will be closer than it really is. C'mon KC I am rooting for you guys.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Voting Experiences

Post by staubio »

This will make you feel better.

I just got a call from my friend. She had one person talk to her the entire time -- someone campaigning for Beth Low. She spotted 4 Enterprise lackies. 2 were from St. Louis. 2 were locals getting paid. They were all sitting under a tree doing nothing. One of the locals was her neighbor and he was sleeping. She woke him up and asked me what he was doing there. He said he just had to sit there to collect $10 an hour and he didn't even know what he was supporting.

Sounds like they've got some top notch people on their side. :-)
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Voting Experiences

Post by MidtownCat »

Guys:

I've been at the Gaurdian Angels location since 7.00 this morning handing out literature. I just took a break and I'll be heading back there for the push this evening.

As far as the Enterprise people they have there, they might as well not be. The 2 that are sitting in the back of a minivan are like expressionless robots. They just hand out the flier with a blank stare on their faces and saying nothing. Oh, and somebody in middle management stops by ever hour or so with some donuts, water bottles, and makes sure none of the underlings are asleep on the job.

Ok, the good news. I have handed out literature to roughly 300 people. The response have been extremly encouraging. Vocal affirmation from people that are saying they are voting yes has FAR outweighed any people that have stated they are in opposition. I would estimate 10 or so have said I won't for it, who knows how many are not voting for it that are keeping quite. Probably at least 50 people when asked to please Vote YES on 1 have plainly said, "Oh I am, don't worry". Allot of young voters out. The elderly mostly voted very early in the morning.

The highest traffic was between 7.00 and 9.00. It's been steady all day but I imagine there will another push this evening after work.

A couple other tid bits, there have been a few people that have said to me as they're walking in that they're on the fence or that they won't be voting for the arena. One woman with a couple children told me flat ou that she was voting no. I asked her if I could answer some questions and we ended up having a really awesome conversation. She went and voted and when she walked out of the church she came up to me and told me that I changed her mind. It totally made my day, at least sure helped dull the pain from stading in the sun all day.

Bottom line, if Kansas City as a whole is anything like Westport this thing will pass. What happens to north and east will really seal it.

I'm encouraged and pumped up. I'll be heading back out there in a little bit, I want to be there for the final push after work.

See you all at the celebration tonight hopefully!
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Voting Experiences

Post by KCN »

Nice work!