Green Impact Zone

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
MidtownGrrl
Strip mall
Strip mall

Green Impact Zone

Post by MidtownGrrl »

From the Star:
Millions in stimulus money to pour into poor KC neighborhoods
http://www.kansascity.com/105/story/1134633.html
Within a couple of years, Kansas City could become a green model for turning around some of its poorest neighborhoods, officials said Thursday.
Up to $200 million in federal stimulus money will weatherize every home that needs it in a 150-block area, upgrade bus services and provide much more help, they said.
“I’m so excited, I’m trying to calm down,” said U.S. Rep. Emanuel Cleaver, a Kansas City Democrat who came up with the idea for a Green Impact Zone. “This is a perfect storm of opportunity.”
...The Green Impact Zone is bordered on the west by Troost Avenue, on the north by 39th Street, on the south by 51st Street and on the east by Prospect Avenue and Swope Parkway. Bruce R. Watkins Drive cuts a swath through the zone’s center.

So, what do you all think? 

I'm really excited about the idea, and hope there are some chances to innovate.  Sustainable South Bronx is a model of what can be done. I really hope that the projects include a lot of bottom up input from the people who live there.  Sure, it's great to get your house weatherized, but you need to draw on the experience and ideas of the residents.

My enthusiasm is probably not hurt by the fact that this is a stone's throw away from my house, if I had a really good arm.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Green Impact Zone

Post by dangerboy »

I would have included an are further north and east.  Perhaps up to Truman Road and east to Van Brunt.  The selected area misses the northern part of the Prospect corridor.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Maybe they decided this was a "safer" bet.

Either way, good news for this part of town. 
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

between this and the westide school makeover, i finally have hope that the status quo in this city will change.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I heard Rep. Cleaver on KCUR yesterday speaking about this.  I had been unaware until then that EVERY home in the area would be weatherized.  They will also be training residents from those neighborhoods to do much of the work.  But I have some lingering concerns (except for the Troost BRT) and I would love for someone on here to bring up some points that would convince me this money and the plan to spend it will make a difference.
drumatix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by drumatix »

DaveKCMO wrote: between this and the westide school makeover, i finally have hope that the status quo in this city will change.
Ooooo... what do you know about the school makeover? Was it finally sold?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

drumatix wrote: Ooooo... what do you know about the school makeover? Was it finally sold?
http://forum.kcrag.com/index.php?topic=15785.0
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

Norman is actually the school on SW Trfwy, in the Valentine neighborhood.  The Westside school that was for sale is Switzer.  I don't know how that was finally disposed.
knucklehead
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by knucklehead »

If the price tag is really $200 million this is huge. That is slightly over $1.3 million per block. At 30 houses per block that works out to be 44K per house.

I would like to see more detail on the cost estimate. How much for the busses and the bridge? The smart grid stuff sounds a little nutty to me. Why build electric car charging capability in neighborhoods where people can't afford electric cars?

But even 20 K per house should buy new windows and a new air conditioner and furnance. This should increase property values making the area more economically viable.

The $200 million total sounds a little shaky. I wonder if the money will truly be made available.
TheKCGuy
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by TheKCGuy »

What an unfortunate acronym.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

knucklehead wrote: If the price tag is really $200 million this is huge. That is slightly over $1.3 million per block. At 30 houses per block that works out to be 44K per house.

I would like to see more detail on the cost estimate. How much for the busses and the bridge? The smart grid stuff sounds a little nutty to me. Why build electric car charging capability in neighborhoods where people can't afford electric cars?

But even 20 K per house should buy new windows and a new air conditioner and furnance. This should increase property values making the area more economically viable.

The $200 million total sounds a little shaky. I wonder if the money will truly be made available.
Seems like a better investment would be to build denser, sustainable communities.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
cdm2p
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by cdm2p »

Another handout for poor people.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Who's performing the project evaluation? There should be some hard before and after numbers on a dispersed project like this.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Cabinet secretaries headed to KC Tuesday to check out Green Impact Zone
Among the events Tuesday:

A 9:30 a.m. walking tour of the district beginning at the Ivanhoe Neighborhood Center, 3700 Woodland.
A 10:30 a.m. Grand Opening of Green Impact Zone Assistance Center, 4600 The Paseo.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
blackbird
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by blackbird »

Just a note - the 9:30am tour is invite only.  The 10:30am ribbon cutting is the only "public" event with the cabinet secretaries.
Halt_I_Am_Reptar
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Halt_I_Am_Reptar »

This is an area that has been economically and socially disadvantaged for decades by the status quo.  Change is good however, if you are going to make a real change it can't be as easy as just handing it out and having things magically change.  School students are being raped in the schools in and near this area and Cleaver is worried about slapping solar panels on houses?????  You've got to be kidding me.  The only difference will now be that the drug houses will be using green energy to make their drugs.  Criminals will be able to charge their fabulous electric cars after they get done having a gun fight that kills innocent bystanders who are either driving through (oh....let's say on Highway 71) or people who are just trying to sit on their porch.

Do something about education, get the guns off the streets, do something about crime in general, do something about jobs.  I agree that this has the recipe for disaster......which is sad. 
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Halt_I_Am_Reptar wrote: This is an area that has been economically and socially disadvantaged for decades by the status quo.  Change is good however, if you are going to make a real change it can't be as easy as just handing it out and having things magically change.  S
Sounds like you don't understand the strategy.  The idea is to spend concentrate the investment of energy efficiency funds in one area and at the same time train there residents to do the work.  So every house will be weatherized, and hundreds of residents will have solid new skills for careers in weatherization and other high demand green collar jobs. It's a really very innovative strategy.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

Sounds like a HUGE WASTE OF MONEY!!!!!!  There is a reason there is block after block of abandoned/burned/boarded up houses.  People in this area don't give a shit about their property.  Instead of energy efficiency..howabout painting your house and mowing your lawn!
Halt_I_Am_Reptar
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Halt_I_Am_Reptar »

dangerboy wrote: Sounds like you don't understand the strategy.  The idea is to spend concentrate the investment of energy efficiency funds in one area and at the same time train there residents to do the work.  So every house will be weatherized, and hundreds of residents will have solid new skills for careers in weatherization and other high demand green collar jobs. It's a really very innovative strategy.
I understand the strategy and I think it does possess innovation.  I don't think it's going to work, or work as well as some are hoping.  I wish it would work....I wish it would be the solution for an area that's been historically disadvantaged. 

Ultimately I think the problem is much larger than teaching people how to weatherize their house.....especially when a lot of those people/landlords/tenants can't even clean up their own lawn.  I stick by my original notion that a combination of education and jobs would be a good starting solution.  The whole idea is to improve the area for existing residents while attracting new residents to move in (I would assume).  How is an unaccredited school system where students get raped on the watch of teachers an attraction?  How are gunfights, drive by's, and trash littering the streets an attraction?

What about more social programs?  Neighborhood associations with increased involvement?  More representation on the city council?  More initiatives for businesses that provide basic needs to move in and develop secure locations where people feel safe shopping?  What about making the city clean up some of the empty lots, improve the streets, and do something about our inner city school system?  Thoughts?  More suggestions?
cdm2p
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by cdm2p »

I'm not convinced that this will turn around this neighborhood.  At the end of the day, crime is rampant and the area suffers from a negative perception.  That will not change any time soon.
The city and government should not be leading the search for a solution.  Social issues need to be resolved by the people who live in the area.  Rebuilt streets and cleaned up vacant lots will do nothing to improve the social problems.