2011 - 2012 College Football Season

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: 2011 - 2012 College Football Season

Post by kcmetro »

NDTeve wrote:Who is worse...Turner Gill or Terry Allen?
They're both equally bad at coaching. TG is definitely the better recruiter though.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

KCPowercat wrote:Metro is right....we all heard of gill Turner prior to his ku legacy.
But he was a no name when he was a new coach at Buffalo. I'm talking new (.) not new to a specific school.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

shinatoo wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:Metro is right....we all heard of gill Turner prior to his ku legacy.
But he was a no name when he was a new coach at Buffalo. I'm talking new (.) not new to a specific school.
I think that was kind of the point though. K-State was smart enough to hire a no-namer, not some retread name that had already failed somewhere. OTOH, I doubt even a lame retread would have been willing to come to K-State at that point - they were the Death Valley of college football in the 80s.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

KCMax wrote:
K-State was smart enough to hire a no-namer, not some retread name that had already failed somewhere.
Snyder was a 10-year Offensive Coordinator at Iowa under legendary Hayden Fry. They went to 8 straight bowl games while Snyder was there. '81-'88.

I can't remember Snyder's hire. I was 7. But, I don't know if he was a no-namer.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KC-wildcat wrote:
KCMax wrote:
K-State was smart enough to hire a no-namer, not some retread name that had already failed somewhere.
Snyder was a 10-year Offensive Coordinator at Iowa under legendary Hayden Fry. They went to 8 straight bowl games while Snyder was there. '81-'88.

I can't remember Snyder's hire. I was 7. But, I don't know if he was a no-namer.
Relative no-namer. Most casual fans don't know OC and DC names.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KCPowercat wrote:Image
I don't blame them. They are trying to keep from hemorrhaging all of the added support from season ticket holders they gained after the Orange Bowl. I've actually been a bit surprised by the turnout thus far considering the garbage product that has been on the field the last few years. We are on pace for one of the worst seasons in Big XII, or even Big 8, history. We are back to the level of quality from the pre-Mangino/early Mangino era, and I think it is clear that KU fans (or really any fans) won't support a team with a defense that allows 40 points before they wake up in the morning. While there were certainly problems with the program, it wasn't in shambles by any means when Mangino left. Now it is on a downward trend of 5-7, 3-9, and the odds are on 2-10. I've not been a big fan of Coach Gill, but I don't really think I want to see him slowly try to crawl back from giving up 56 points/game as he is this year (we gave up 37/game last year). I've been critical of other schools for giving up on coaches too quickly, but I've never seen anyone perform to this level before. Just pathetic.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

bobbyhawks wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:Image
I don't blame them. They are trying to keep from hemorrhaging all of the added support from season ticket holders they gained after the Orange Bowl. I've actually been a bit surprised by the turnout thus far considering the garbage product that has been on the field the last few years. We are on pace for one of the worst seasons in Big XII, or even Big 8, history. We are back to the level of quality from the pre-Mangino/early Mangino era, and I think it is clear that KU fans (or really any fans) won't support a team with a defense that allows 40 points before they wake up in the morning. While there were certainly problems with the program, it wasn't in shambles by any means when Mangino left. Now it is on a downward trend of 5-7, 3-9, and the odds are on 2-10. I've not been a big fan of Coach Gill, but I don't really think I want to see him slowly try to crawl back from giving up 56 points/game as he is this year (we gave up 37/game last year). I've been critical of other schools for giving up on coaches too quickly, but I've never seen anyone perform to this level before. Just pathetic.
Gill is only in his second year and his first recruits are only freshmen. I think it is a little soon to be casting Gill aside even if the results thus far have been horrible. He didn't take over a stocked team, Mangino was on the decline and had not replaced any of the players that brought him some glory with comparable players.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Highlander wrote:Gill is only in his second year and his first recruits are only freshmen. I think it is a little soon to be casting Gill aside even if the results thus far have been horrible. He didn't take over a stocked team, Mangino was on the decline and had not replaced any of the players that brought him some glory with comparable players.
KU probably has as many 4 star recruits as they have ever had. The program wasn't "stocked" by any means, but they were far from being in shambles when Mangino left. Glenn Allen's "leave then return then leave" was much more detrimental than was Mangino throwing a hissy. Even Bill Snyder, who inherited one of the worst football programs in college history, a team that went 3-40 over its prior 4 years, never won fewer than 5 games after starting out 1-10.

Terry Allen was a pretty terrible D-1 coach, and Mangino somehow turned that around. Mangino went 6-7 his second year with some of the worst talent I have ever seen. Gary Pinkel won only 4 games his first season and has never won fewer than 5 since. Even in his first few years, they were competitive often when they did not win. If you aren't improving your second year, you aren't likely to improve much at all other than through luck and through scheduling. I'm not saying he needs to win out. The schedule is more difficult this year, but coach needs to show that the team can be competitive, that the defense can improve, that he can scheme against some teams, that we won't allow more points than any BCS team in football. For Gill, being competitive for 1 quarter alone does not count. He had one 8 win season at a MAC school. If he is able to somehow win one more game this season, he will still have to go 11-1 next year to win as many games as Ron Prince... Ron Prince! Unless this team starts to compete and puts up some kind of a fight, it is not looking good for Gill. The athletes are getting embarassed, and I don't think it is because they just are just that bad.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Don't really know where to put this, but Tulsa AD Bubba Cunningham - who was KU's AD for like five minutes, has been named AD at North Carolina.

Mizzou AD Mike Alden is reported to have interviewed for the job.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Not that this means anything, but the Big 12 logo was covered up with dirt today at Faurot Field..

Today ("100" is for the number of homecomings):

Earlier this year:

Also, the Big 12 flags that normally fly near the main scoreboard had been replaced with Mizzou ones.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Congrats....hurt your university and city. Be proud.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Well, I'm not exactly sure why it was done.

If it was done for the reason I think it was, then it was a stupid, classless, disrespectful, and ballsy move by MU.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Anticipatory repudiation. Or actual breach.

In either case, kick these fucks out of the league and ink Louisville tomorrow. Then let MU sink or swim. Hopefully the SEC invites WVU and MU gets screwed.

Oh, and we'll take those exit fees too.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

AllThingsKC wrote:Well, I'm not exactly sure why it was done.

If it was done for the reason I think it was, then it was a stupid, classless, disrespectful, and ballsy move by MU.

All of the above except ballsy. Just kind of disgusting. I've been a Mizzou fan all my life and the athletic programs under Alden have at times had some major PR embarrassments but nothing has turned me off as a fan as much as the SEC courtship. I think the fans have been pretty classless too. So many have thrown the Orange Bowl thing back in my face. The hatred of Kansas is so great, it could drive Missouri into the biggest mistake in the history of the university, it actually has little to do with the LHN. Absolutely irrational.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

"We have options!" - the University of Missouri.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

AllThingsKC wrote:Not that this means anything, but the Big 12 logo was covered up with dirt today at Faurot Field..

Earlier this year:

Also, the Big 12 flags that normally fly near the main scoreboard had been replaced with Mizzou ones.
Wow, it's hard to put into words how classless and disrespectful that is.
MoMan
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by MoMan »

MidtownCat wrote:
AllThingsKC wrote:Not that this means anything, but the Big 12 logo was covered up with dirt today at Faurot Field..

Earlier this year:

As if the Big Texass conference, whose two leading members would have been gone had they not been humiliatingly rejected by the PAC, deserves Mizzou's (or any other conference member's) respect.

As far as class goes, get over your little kitty butthurt drama, Mary. You're the last person to give lessons on class.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

ok, take the SEC/Big12 talk to that topic....this one is about the football season....and the #12 ranked Wildcats seems to be the only story around here this year. ESPN Gameday in Manhattan for OU/KSU????
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

MoMan wrote:
MidtownCat wrote:

Earlier this year:

As if the Big Texass conference, whose two leading members would have been gone had they not been humiliatingly rejected by the PAC, deserves Mizzou's (or any other conference member's) respect.

As far as class goes, get over your little kitty butthurt drama, Mary. You're the last person to give lessons on class.

Watching the SEC depants you bush league jokers in front of the class is going to be an absolute laugh riot.