2011 - 2012 College Football Season

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: 2011 - 2012 College Football Season

Post by KC-wildcat »

"lucky" is kind of an interesting way to describe K-State's season so far. Lucky seems to suggest that ksu has been winning games due to events beyond their control.

On the contrary, i think KSU is winning because they are beautifully executing those factors within their control. Very few penalties. Very few turnovers. Long time of possession. Control both lines of scrimmage. Excellent rushing attack. Wear down defenses.

Cats don't dazzle. They just pound the rock. All game long. They win because of fundamentals. Very few, if any, crazy, extraordinary plays.

Basically, the exact opposite of luck.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KC-wildcat wrote:"lucky" is kind of an interesting way to describe K-State's season so far. Lucky seems to suggest that ksu has been winning games due to events beyond their control.

On the contrary, i think KSU is winning because they are beautifully executing those factors within their control. Very few penalties. Very few turnovers. Long time of possession. Control both lines of scrimmage. Excellent rushing attack. Wear down defenses.

Cats don't dazzle. They just pound the rock. All game long. They win because of fundamentals. Very few, if any, crazy, extraordinary plays.

Basically, the exact opposite of luck.
I agree. That's why I said coaching and talent have a lot to do with KSU, too. I wasn't trying to under value K-State's performance. I did see "some" luck in the Miami and Baylor games. All teams have "some" luck. And, "some" luck is ok. The coaching and talent take it the rest of the way. That was the difference between KSU and MU on Saturday.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

What would you classify as luck from the mu game? The clear turnover that mu got back after a video replay?
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KCPowercat wrote:What would you classify as luck from the mu game? The clear turnover that mu got back after a video replay?
I was talking about a little "luck" over the course of the season, not from the MU game. KSU was better coached and had better talent than MU. There wasn't much luck involved. And if there was, it would be from catching MU in a down year.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Got it....unclear how you classify it as a sloppy game....hardly any penalties or turnovers....what did you see as sloppy?
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KCPowercat wrote:Got it....unclear how you classify it as a sloppy game....hardly any penalties or turnovers....what did you see as sloppy?
Sorry. I meant a sloppy game for Mizzou. (You said, "Good game, Tigers." I'm thinking, "Sloppy game, Tigers.")
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Understand....what did you see as sloppy as far as an mu fan? As I said very few turnovers or penalties....
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KCPowercat wrote:Understand....what did you see as sloppy as far as an mu fan? As I said very few turnovers or penalties....
Missed FGs. The kickers has been bad since the ASU game this year when he missed the game-winning FG.

I'd like to see more production from the O-line. They should have been able to score more than 17 points. They need to give Jossy more carries. QB Franklin still needs to learn a little more.

That's about it, overall. I was just not impressed with MU at all.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

AllThingsKC wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:Understand....what did you see as sloppy as far as an mu fan? As I said very few turnovers or penalties....
They need to give Jossy more carries.

WTF is wrong with the offensive coordinator? Josey comes into the game the #1 rusher in the conference, averages 4.6 yards per carry in this game and was the bright spot for Mizzou, and he gets only 12 carries (and doesn't even touch it until the second quarter).
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Highlander wrote:
AllThingsKC wrote:
They need to give Jossy more carries.

WTF is wrong with the offensive coordinator? Josey comes into the game the #1 rusher in the conference, averages 4.6 yards per carry in this game and was the bright spot for Mizzou, and he gets only 12 carries (and doesn't even touch it until the second quarter).
I think the idea was "Well, they expect Jossy to have the ball. So, let's not give it to him." :evil:
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Jack Harry: KU giving out FREE tickets to Saturday's game against #3 Oklahoma.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

AllThingsKC wrote:Jack Harry: KU giving out FREE tickets to Saturday's game against #3 Oklahoma.
Yep. Students get a free ticket. I'm not sure that's going to improve attendance much though. It could be a blood bath by the end of the first quarter, just like OSU. And it's going to be on ESPN2...so the nation will see our sorry stadium and our sorry team. Won't look too good for KU.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I thought the Buckeyes would get slaughtered in Nebraska but that was even worse. Up 27-6 and you blow it???? The defense isn't that lousy, its the offense that blows! I don't think I've ever seen a worse QB than Bauserman. Ugh, hate losing in that fashion.

< / big 10 vent >
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KSU is now 16th in the nation against the run, and 17th overall in defensive yardage. Lucky bastards!
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

RE: ATKC and his KSU got lucky sentiment...

The only thing lucky about KSU is that they hired a no-name coach 22 years ago who ended up being a hall of fame coach.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

kcmetro wrote:RE: ATKC and his KSU got lucky sentiment...

The only thing lucky about KSU is that they hired a no-name coach 22 years ago who ended up being a hall of fame coach.
Isn't every new coach a no name coach?
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

shinatoo wrote:
kcmetro wrote:RE: ATKC and his KSU got lucky sentiment...

Isn't every new coach a no name coach?
Umm, no.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Who is worse...Turner Gill or Terry Allen?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

NDTeve wrote:Who is worse...Turner Gill or Terry Allen?
Ugh, no way I would bring back Terry Allen.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Metro is right....we all heard of gill Turner prior to his ku legacy.