Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Frank White’s personal beef with the Royals is slowly breaking out into the public. The man was just reelected too, so… it’s not like there’s an election on the horizon that he’s acting for. I doubt the legislature would remove him. It’s about navigating his actions. Perhaps negotiate directly with the legislature to get a veto-proof majority and go about it that way.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

has a team un-retired a number? I mean I'm sure it's happened when some dark secret came out about a yankee or something.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Manny Abarca radio interview today said Royals offer is "fair" and also notes that "Chiefs and Royals both want to be on April ballot".
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:48 am has a team un-retired a number? I mean I'm sure it's happened when some dark secret came out about a yankee or something.
I wonder how much of this is personal to him. Does he not want to see the place he played tore down? If he's looking at it from a personal perspective and not a elected official perspective, he's in the wrong.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:01 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:48 am has a team un-retired a number? I mean I'm sure it's happened when some dark secret came out about a yankee or something.
I wonder how much of this is personal to him. Does he not want to see the place he played tore down? If he's looking at it from a personal perspective and not a elected official perspective, he's in the wrong.
He for sure seems to be. This is deeper rooted than just the physical building though. I can't remember all the details and when I did I remember thinking he had legit gripes, but he's letting it get in the way unprofessionally now.
https://www.royalsreview.com/2016/10/14 ... er-was-sad
https://royalsreporter.com/2020/06/04/f ... s-divorce/
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I think the County Legislature can get this to qualify for an April vote. My bigger worry is that White, during the Feb-Apr campaign, keeps dropping misinformation to the voters and scaring them. Mayor Q gonna have to make sure to take charge of the narrative and not let that bitter man keep claiming "County gonna pay $10 zillioonnnn for stadium, sincerely from your County Commissioner"
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:33 pm
DColeKC wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:01 pm
He for sure seems to be. This is deeper rooted than just the physical building though. I can't remember all the details and when I did I remember thinking he had legit gripes, but he's letting it get in the way unprofessionally now.
https://www.royalsreview.com/2016/10/14 ... er-was-sad
https://royalsreporter.com/2020/06/04/f ... s-divorce/
He rejoined the Royals organization as a coach in 1997 and managed in the minor league from 2004-2006 although he was passed over for managerial jobs, leading to further bitterness. He joined the front office and began broadcasting games for Fox Sports Kansas City in 2008. In 2011, his contract was not renewed, reportedly for White’s criticism of the club, and Frank vowed never to step foot in the stadium again. He would not even return to be honored for the 2014 World Series.
Frank White is letting his personal beef with the Royals get the best of him.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:35 am
aknowledgeableperson wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:32 am
DMNBT_RCJH wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:03 pm Another day, another leak out of the Jackson County Executive Office ostensibly for the sole purpose of killing any momentum the Royals may have.
Not from his office. From a member of the legislature
uh huh.
"A recipient associated with the Legislature provided a reporter with a copy because that person thought members of the public should be aware of the financial burden that might fall on county taxpayers if the Royals leave Kauffman Stadium for a new home in Kansas City’s East Village area.

Read more at: https://www.kansascity.com/news/politic ... rylink=cpy
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:45 pm
aknowledgeableperson wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:32 am

Not from his office. From a member of the legislature
uh huh.
"A recipient associated with the Legislature provided a reporter with a copy because that person thought members of the public should be aware of the financial burden that might fall on county taxpayers if the Royals leave Kauffman Stadium for a new home in Kansas City’s East Village area.

you are more knowledgeable than this. The writing is on the wall where this is coming from, just read it.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:47 pm

uh huh.

you are more knowledgeable than this. The writing is on the wall where this is coming from, just read it.

https://www.kshb.com/sports/kansas-city ... cLMgQy8R9c

The crap published by the star was nonsense. Unfortunately, it will be quoted by everyone that opposes moving downtown even though they know it's BS.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

uh huh.

I did read it. Now, are you saying the Star lied about its source? If so what proof do you have besides speculation?

Yes the report is full of speculations about future, some projections high some low but when estimating 40 years out yes estimates are indeed tricky. In case of property insurance if a new stadium has insurance based of replacement costs and construction costs are rising it is quite possible that the cost of insurance will indeed escalate. Of course other factors are involved in insurance costs such as reinsurance and insurance market conditions. And rate of inflation can kick in at anytime and last a long time or not. Recessions and/or depressions also will have an unknown affect on the economy and sales tax collections.
Both sides appear to be overreacting to the report. Afterall the report is a SWAG (scientific wild ass guess). What is important though are the costs to the county besides covering part of the construction cost, principal and interest, of a new downtown stadium and the county's commitment to continuing those costs at a downtown location that haven't really been reported on. Also, I have no knowledge of the municipal bond market but I would tend to believe a 40 year bond is quite rare and therefore carry an interest rate that can't be estimated right now given today's interest rates.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

My week was going too well so I decided to pop into the facebook group, "Save the K" and was sucked in by the absolute ignorance of the group.

I respect those who simply don't want a new stadium for legit reasons. What I can't accept is the fact most of the people there refuse to think big picture. Every 3rd post is by someone saying to develop TSC and almost every post talks about putting a good team together before building a new stadium. Of course you also have the anti-TIF people who say this is just Sherman being a rich asshole.

Between the loud and ignorant crowd and the flat out false information being purposely leaked by Frank White, we may not only end up without a new stadium but without a MLB team.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I think they botched the rollout. They don't have a defined plan so it allows other people to create a narrative.

It's about story telling. One side was always going to be the rich billionaire asks the city for billions more for luxury district.

What's the royals story? It feels very vapory and playing everyone against eachother.

I think if you look at P&L/Sprint center and the new airport, people were super excited about them at the time. The royals are more give us money and we'll keep you updated.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:31 pm

I did read it. Now, are you saying the Star lied about its source? If so what proof do you have besides speculation?

Yes the report is full of speculations about future, some projections high some low but when estimating 40 years out yes estimates are indeed tricky. In case of property insurance if a new stadium has insurance based of replacement costs and construction costs are rising it is quite possible that the cost of insurance will indeed escalate. Of course other factors are involved in insurance costs such as reinsurance and insurance market conditions. And rate of inflation can kick in at anytime and last a long time or not. Recessions and/or depressions also will have an unknown affect on the economy and sales tax collections.
Both sides appear to be overreacting to the report. Afterall the report is a SWAG (scientific wild ass guess). What is important though are the costs to the county besides covering part of the construction cost, principal and interest, of a new downtown stadium and the county's commitment to continuing those costs at a downtown location that haven't really been reported on. Also, I have no knowledge of the municipal bond market but I would tend to believe a 40 year bond is quite rare and therefore carry an interest rate that can't be estimated right now given today's interest rates.
I was wrong. Prob change your username.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

"I have no knowledge" ... "But" ...

Made me laugh hard
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:15 pm
So that is your response to my question. So indeed you are speculating. Your speculation is no different than the cost report that is being reported about. As I said the report is a SWAG, no more no less. Much like the report that justified the P&L District with its high rental rates and other figures. How did you react to that report?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Left T Mobil at 11pm last night with 17k other people. Took 15 min to walk to the car. I was parked on the 5th floor if the TownPavilion garage (worst place possible?) Was out of the garage in 30 min. This is no worse than getting out if TSC after a royals game.

Also want to say, T Mobil has remained a fantastic arena. Really under rated venue. Tragic it never got a marquee tenant.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:05 am
KCPowercat wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:15 pm
So that is your response to my question. So indeed you are speculating. Your speculation is no different than the cost report that is being reported about. As I said the report is a SWAG, no more no less. Much like the report that justified the P&L District with its high rental rates and other figures. How did you react to that report?
You can find my posts on this topic.
Metro
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Metro »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:19 pm
Metro wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:19 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:54 pm This is over much like most of us predicted. Welcome downtown royals
Won't pass a vote
Based on what?
Polling
Metro
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Metro »

shinatoo wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:45 am Left T Mobil at 11pm last night with 17k other people. Took 15 min to walk to the car. I was parked on the 5th floor if the TownPavilion garage (worst place possible?) Was out of the garage in 30 min. This is no worse than getting out if TSC after a royals game.

Also want to say, T Mobil has remained a fantastic arena. Really under rated venue. Tragic it never got a marquee tenant.
Disagree with you. The flying spaceman are dumb, the signage always out looks tacky, seats are way too small, and aside from 1 bar there isn't much in there. It's a pretty cookie cutter arena