Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by FangKC »

dukuboy1 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:38 pm
shinatoo wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:28 pm Just drove across NKC. Pop. 4700. I would have guessed way bigger.
I was thinking it was about 5000, so yeah seems about right. There has never been a lot of residents in NKC. It's mostly industrial warehouse, manufacturing, railroad jobs, etc. Been that way decades. Just within the last 15yrs have you seen the big push to add more residents and developments projects to push that idea. You see some decent examples of creating residential density as well. NKC has a small footprint, one that is even smaller when you look at areas that are zoned for residential development. But I think you will see it continue to grow and maybe within the next 10-12 yrs double its population to around 10K. The infrastructure they have & are investing in could easily support that number.
NKC in 1950

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=101 ... 2253351128
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

This is over much like most of us predicted. Welcome downtown royals
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:54 pm This is over much like most of us predicted. Welcome downtown royals
NKC is over but a few important things still to be determined. Good news is the right people are talking now and we're on the right path to getting down to the fun stuff.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:58 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:54 pm This is over much like most of us predicted. Welcome downtown royals
NKC is over but a few important things still to be determined. Good news is the right people are talking now and we're on the right path to getting down to the fun stuff.
I hate to be that guy...but what are the important things you're talking about here? Fun stuff?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:02 pm
I hate to be that guy...but what are the important things you're talking about here? Fun stuff?
Mostly who is going to partner with the Royals on the development stuff outside of the stadium itself and the exact physical location, design etc.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I'm actually more curious about NKC now than before (although not for a ballpark).

It was very clearly never a serious bid for the Royals (at least as presented in the pie-in-the-sky renderings obliterating all of downtown NKC), but nonetheless the Merriman's have in fact amassed a huge amount of land there. Many of those parcels have turned over for the first time in decades, and all to the same ownership group.

If not the Royals, then what kind of master plan or land use is being evaluated there? I know, topic for the NKC thread going forward.

Separately, excited for Royals in EV and getting down to the "fun stuff", as Dcole puts it. Hope we start to get more concrete details soon.
Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

rxlexi wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:19 am I'm actually more curious about NKC now than before (although not for a ballpark).

It was very clearly never a serious bid for the Royals (at least as presented in the pie-in-the-sky renderings obliterating all of downtown NKC), but nonetheless the Merriman's have in fact amassed a huge amount of land there. Many of those parcels have turned over for the first time in decades, and all to the same ownership group.

If not the Royals, then what kind of master plan or land use is being evaluated there? I know, topic for the NKC thread going forward.

Separately, excited for Royals in EV and getting down to the "fun stuff", as Dcole puts it. Hope we start to get more concrete details soon.
I still call it now. SKC will pursue that in the future.
Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:34 pm

Mostly who is going to partner with the Royals on the development stuff outside of the stadium itself and the exact physical location, design etc.
Is VanTrust signaling any intention to participate outside of land?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:33 am
DColeKC wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:34 pm

Is VanTrust signaling any intention to participate outside of land?
Yes, too much so. They want to be more involved than the Royals want them to be from my understanding and they have zero experience working with sports teams.

The EV site would also be great for soccer if for some reason the Royals don't go there.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:32 am
rxlexi wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:19 am I'm actually more curious about NKC now than before (although not for a ballpark).

I would only endorse it if by that point in time we have plans in place for the streetcar to go up there
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

I bet in 10 years they are playing at the current riverfront stadium. It won't be hard to expand it to 20k seats.
bhedges1987
Pad site
Pad site

Post by bhedges1987 »

dnweava wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:19 pm

I bet in 10 years they are playing at the current riverfront stadium. It won't be hard to expand it to 20k seats.

Highly unlikely. The main focal point for the new current stadium is it’s the first and only stadium in the world built for and home to a professional women’s team. My guess is it stays that way.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

bhedges1987 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:47 am
dnweava wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:19 pm

Highly unlikely. The main focal point for the new current stadium is it’s the first and only stadium in the world built for and home to a professional women’s team. My guess is it stays that way.
Yeah and Sporting will want full control of their own stadium. There was some slight animosity between the two sharing CMP.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Interesting news from Jackson County. The county now wants to contribute 300 million to a downtown stadium without extending the current stadium sales tax. Jackson County would pay the Royals 15 million a year for the next 20 years.

I'm not sure, but this may not even require a public vote for the Royals meaning the stadium can move forward much faster?

Not only does that mean they seem committed to downtown now, but that leaves the sales tax extension wide open for just the Chiefs so they can possibly do more with the Chiefs.

However I think the Royals are going to need more than 300 million in public money for the new stadium.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

GRID wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:33 pm Interesting news from Jackson County. The county now wants to contribute 300 million to a downtown stadium without extending the current stadium sales tax. Jackson County would pay the Royals 15 million a year for the next 20 years.

I'm not sure, but this may not even require a public vote for the Royals meaning the stadium can move forward much faster?

Not only does that mean they seem committed to downtown now, but that leaves the sales tax extension wide open for just the Chiefs so they can possibly do more with the Chiefs.

However I think the Royals are going to need more than 300 million in public money for the new stadium.
Would the owners accept 70% of the cost of a new stadium (Provided the stadium costs 1 billion and the county contributes 300 million)?
Last edited by Highlander on Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

GRID wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:33 pm Interesting news from Jackson County. The county now wants to contribute 300 million to a downtown stadium without extending the current stadium sales tax. Jackson County would pay the Royals 15 million a year for the next 20 years.

Isn't the state chipping in?
DMNBT_RCJH
Pad site
Pad site

Post by DMNBT_RCJH »

Not a public finance or muni bond guy, but I can't see the Royals being particularly interested in this proposal. In addition, they cannot be happy that the "counteroffer" was leaked to the KC Biz Journal. While it's hard to say whether it was done nefariously, it surely will not help in the Royals' opinion of the current Jackson County government.

While there's not enough information on the Jackson County proposal to fully understand it, nearest I can tell it boils down to this:

Option 1: 300-350 million dollars up front (backed by bond issuance and sales tax extension); or

Option 2: 300-350 million dollars over a twenty-year-period.

A dollar today, or a dollar spread out over twenty years? I'll let the accountants do the present value calculations on that payment stream, but it's going to be significantly less than what the Royals say they need upfront from public financing.

I also take this is a clear sign that the Royals are still not committed to downtown yet, because how could they be with a "counteroffer" that is, in essence, several hundred million dollars apart.
Metro
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Metro »

Won't pass a vote
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

DMNBT_RCJH wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:33 pm Not a public finance or muni bond guy, but I can't see the Royals being particularly interested in this proposal. In addition, they cannot be happy that the "counteroffer" was leaked to the KC Biz Journal. While it's hard to say whether it was done nefariously, it surely will not help in the Royals' opinion of the current Jackson County government.

While there's not enough information on the Jackson County proposal to fully understand it, nearest I can tell it boils down to this:

Option 1: 300-350 million dollars up front (backed by bond issuance and sales tax extension); or

Option 2: 300-350 million dollars over a twenty-year-period.

A dollar today, or a dollar spread out over twenty years? I'll let the accountants do the present value calculations on that payment stream, but it's going to be significantly less than what the Royals say they need upfront from public financing.

I also take this is a clear sign that the Royals are still not committed to downtown yet, because how could they be with a "counteroffer" that is, in essence, several hundred million dollars apart.
All good points.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

shinatoo wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:07 pm

Isn't the state chipping in?
The State kicked in with the rebuild of Busch Stadium in 2006 through infrastructure realignments, so the precedent has been set. I imagine the State would be involved with some infrastructure (mostly highway) work associated with the East Village. It's the same deal the Cardinals had.